No! I Don't Want to be on YouTube!

TheQueen

Original Poster
Has this been mentioned already?

I like Disney; I like Vlogs. What I don't like is being in them. But! This is my fear. Last time I was in Disney World, someone was live streaming on Main Street. Or when I watch food reviews on YouTube, I feel so bad for the people behind the reviewer. This is my nightmare. I'm eating food like a cavewoman, and a vlogger is in front of me. Does anyone else feel like that?

SirWillow

Actually, being one of those vloggers, I have to laugh at the number of times people have reacted thinking they were on camera when they weren't. Quite amusing when people think you're videoing when you're actually in "selfie" mode in which case most of what is in the screen is the vlogger and not much else behind them.

Keep in mind, when you go to Disney you agree that your image and likeness can be used in any publicity video, photos or other items that may happen in the parks while you were there. That includes vloggers which Disney uses as free publicity.

eliza61nyc

I like Disney; I like Vlogs. What I don't like is being in them. But! This is my fear. Last time I was in Disney World, someone was live streaming on Main Street. Or when I watch food reviews on YouTube, I feel so bad for the people behind the reviewer. This is my nightmare. I'm eating food like a cavewoman, and a vlogger is in front of me. Does anyone else feel like that?

Naw @TheQueen , truthfully usually when I go on vacation I'm trying hard to decompress so I'm letting so much slide off me. Next unfortunately it seems that everyone and their mama has some type of cell phone, camera, video equipment in their hands, with all those people, I'd be a nervous wreck if I started worrying about being captured on camera. Lastly, people are usually in their own worlds, the chances of anyone remembering "the lady who was inhaling mickey bars" is slim to none.

Communicora

Premium Member

Relatable! I am glad some of the vloggers do their thing, but I don't want to be around them while they are doing it!

wdwfan22

Keep in mind, when you go to Disney you agree that your image and likeness can be used in any publicity video, photos or other items that may happen in the parks while you were there. That includes vloggers which Disney uses as free publicity.

That’s not necessarily true. Your only authorizing Disney and they post warnings where filming is taking place.

nolatron

Can't be any worse than the millions of people taking photos/home videos in the park with you in the background somewhere. You're probably in a lot of people's photos and home videos and don't even know it.

I marched in the Main Street parade 4 times during my High School band time. I often wondered how many photo albums I'm in from that. I never saw so many cameras, lol.

DisAl

I don't mind as long as they get my "Grumpy and Proud of It" t-shirt in the picture. ;)

bUU

That’s not necessarily true. Your only authorizing Disney ...
Correct. What is relevant in this case is "Reasonable Expectation of Privacy", an element of privacy law. The Reasonable Expectation of Privacy is limited, however. Privacy can be expected absolutely in the home, of course, and in hotel rooms and restrooms. Beyond that, in public, the Reasonable Expectation of Privacy is very limited. Basically, the only privacy you can expect in pubic is with regard to private information (such as a photograph of your credit card as you're swiping it through a reader) and with regard to humiliating images (such as a wardrobe malfunction at a water park).

LUVofDIS

That’s not necessarily true. Your only authorizing Disney and they post warnings where filming is taking place.

I know for photography, still not doing much video, the law use to be at least, if you are in public than your picture can be taken and posted. I think there was talk that the law could or has changed that you can't be the main subject unless you agree or such.

That being stated, I try to avoid getting people that are not part of the attraction/show etc in the picture. I am sure most try to do this.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I guess I don't understand why people care.
Prior to youtube people still filmed.
I'm sure I have tons of videos in the parks with complete strangers in them.
People that vlog are not even trying to get you in the shot.
It really doesn't matter if you want to be on camera since Disney allows people to record videos Disney is basically giving those people permission to record you whether you like it or not.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I've always wondered how that worked. I get the fact that your admission allows you to be filmed / photographed etc by Disney for Disney's use. Also understand that you can be filmed in public by pretty much anyone. But Vloggers monetize their vlogs. So if you are in a frame of footage that is being used - and someone is being compensated for that footage. How exactly does that work?

It's an honest question. I really don't know.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I've always wondered how that worked. I get the fact that your admission allows you to be filmed / photographed etc by Disney for Disney's use. Also understand that you can be filmed in public by pretty much anyone. But Vloggers monetize their vlogs. So if you are in a frame of footage that is being used - and someone is being compensated for that footage. How exactly does that work?

It's an honest question. I really don't know.

If you mean shouldn't the stranger get "royalties"?
No.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
If you mean shouldn't the stranger get "royalties"?
No.

I agree with your sentiment. But that's not necessarily how these things play out. You get a vlogger interacting with someone. Let's say its a drunk dude at EPCOT that is totally out of control and "makes" the vlog. The thing goes viral and the vlogger makes $10k off of views/ads Does the drunk guy have a case?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I agree with your sentiment. But that's not necessarily how these things play out. You get a vlogger interacting with someone. Let's say its a drunk dude at EPCOT that is totally out of control and "makes" the vlog. The thing goes viral and the vlogger makes $10k off of views/ads Does the drunk guy have a case?

I'm not a lawyer but my answer is still no.
And really that's NOT how most vlogs play out.

But hey if the vlog goes viral because of the drunk dude and the drunk dude is then asked to be interviewed by Ellen or signs a book deal then cool they can get the fame, glory, and money.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I'm not a lawyer but my answer is still no.
And really that's NOT how most vlogs play out.

And I get that. I'm not either. But I don't think its that cut and dry. Let's say that - that particular vlog quadrupled the vloggers audience from his normal views. And the factor that made that possible was the drunk dude at EPCOT. Now, there is nothing stopping anybody from filming a drunk dude at EPCOT, but if you had intent to make money off of that vlog, - the drunk dude could have a case.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
And I get that. I'm not either. But I don't think its that cut and dry. Let's say that - that particular vlog quadrupled the vloggers audience from his normal views. And the factor that made that possible was the drunk dude at EPCOT. Now, there is nothing stopping anybody from filming a drunk dude at EPCOT, but if you had intent to make money off of that vlog, - the drunk dude could have a case.

If you say so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom