No Foreigners Wanted ... at SDL?!

WDW1974

Original Poster
So the SDL website just went live and with a cursory glance at Twitter guess what? People in the USA and Europe seem to be having difficulty buying their tickets for Opening Day and beyond. Things get to the payment page ... and then nothing. No matter what platforms are used. Even if they try and buy in Chinese (could the Chinese possibly know they are on a computer outside China?!)

Very curious to see how this plays out. I only know two people here in @WDWFigment and @BrianLo who might be attempting to purchase now.

But I am sure the wording on the park's site talking about "Chinese Guests" is just a lost in translation issue. How could Disney not want ThemeParkBoy (yes, that is this dude's name who came up on the Tweeter) there? Or the wealthy lifestylers (there are some) who will charge $20,000 in SDL Opening Merchandise, so they can triple the prices and sell it on the eBay? ... Of course, maybe the CCP just doesn't care? Who knows ...

But please update this thread with experiences as the day goes along as I won't be able to do so.

Soarin' Over Pgh

So the SDL website just went live and with a cursory glance at Twitter guess what? People in the USA and Europe seem to be having difficulty buying their tickets for Opening Day and beyond. Things get to the payment page ... and then nothing. No matter what platforms are used. Even if they try and buy in Chinese (could the Chinese possibly know they are on a computer outside China?!)

Very curious to see how this plays out. I only know two people here in @WDWFigment and @BrianLo who might be attempting to purchase now.

But I am sure the wording on the park's site talking about "Chinese Guests" is just a lost in translation issue. How could Disney not want ThemeParkBoy (yes, that is this dude's name who came up on the Tweeter) there? Or the wealthy lifestylers (there are some) who will charge $20,000 in SDL Opening Merchandise, so they can triple the prices and sell it on the eBay? ... Of course, maybe the CCP just doesn't care? Who knows ...

But please update this thread with experiences as the day goes along as I won't be able to do so.

So a website just launched and is overloaded with folks trying to buy tickets all at the same time and this is different from any other ticket release.... How?

Sorry, you know I love you but I've tried to buy just released tickets on a website before. I don't smell conspiracy here.

Tigger1988

So a website just launched and is overloaded with folks trying to buy tickets all at the same time and this is different from any other ticket release.... How?

Sorry, you know I love you but I've tried to buy just released tickets on a website before. I don't smell conspiracy here.
Right. Someone has never tried getting concert tickets from Ticketmaster the minute they go on sale.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Internet connections between the USA/Europe and China are not particularly good. A great deal of unsuitable interment traffic originates from that part of the world, and as a result, a lot of it is blocked. I block the vast majority of China accessing the forums for example - 99% of it was posting spam or hack attempts.

I wouldn't be at all surprised seeing issues accessing the site, for both the Chinese and outside. Then of course you have the credit card issues. Nothing sends up a red flag to American Express quicker than an internet transaction processed in China to a USA card holder.

wdwfan22

Sorry but your just complaining to complain. Any website during an opening day for tickets has had problems. This is no different.

WDW1974

Original Poster

I doubt very much that the site is overloaded. It is 1:43 a.m. on Monday morning there. And I just don't see that vast a worldwide interest in buying tickets for this park as soon as one can. And Disney often has tech disasters on anything it offers in the USA, despite spending billions on supposedly upgrading systems and tech.

And, please, let's not use the word conspiracy. It gets tacked to so many things I post here and gets tiresome, even though I know from the source you didn't mean it in a bad way.

I'm simply trying to see what is going on with potential buyers. I know Brian will be one as he has said so and I'd bet five years of In-N-Out burgers that Tom Bricker is another.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Internet connections between the USA/Europe and China are not particularly good. A great deal of unsuitable interment traffic originates from that part of the world, and as a result, a lot of it is blocked. I block the vast majority of China accessing the forums for example - 99% of it was posting spam or hack attempts.

I wouldn't be at all surprised seeing issues accessing the site, for both the Chinese and outside. Then of course you have the credit card issues. Nothing sends up a red flag to American Express quicker than an internet transaction processed in China to a USA card holder.

As near as I can tell no one is having trouble accessing the site or picking out dates or the like at all. They just get to the point of purchase and can't do it. I'd also guess that these individuals are smart enough to have informed their credit cards companies that they are making a large purchase from China.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
As near as I can tell no one is having trouble accessing the site or picking out dates or the like at all. They just get to the point of purchase and can't do it. I'd also guess that these individuals are smart enough to have informed their credit cards companies that they are making a large purchase from China.

All the site content appears to be coming from servers in the US when accessed from the US, but it's very possible that the final transaction processing is going through different servers which would explain why only that step is causing a problem./

BrerJon

Looked at this out of curiousity, I find every single date appears open, but then you click on one and it says 'Sorry, your dates temporarily without a ticket. Please select another date." Not even getting as far as a payment page. Find it hard to believe every date is sold out already.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Seeing on Twitter that some people have been able to purchase, but most are having problems. I think this is just typical online Disney incompetence. Can't wait to see what happens when ROL opens up for FP and dining!

I haven't seen one person on the Tweeter say they were able to book tix and was looking at live feed.
I did see this, which gave me pause that it was a situation like the Beijing Olympics:
Jason Zhang ‏@EMF1109 2h2 hours ago
@Disney park opening in Shanghai this June. Sold out all pre-sale tickets for first 3 months in less than 1 minute!

But I need to go enjoy the holiday in paradise ... please update as the day goes on and info is available.

Clamman73

Shangh.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom