No Fastpass Offered For Brand New Attractions As Permanent Protocol? (Opinion Poll)

Should Disney NOT offer fastpass on brand new attractions and add fastpass after about six months?

• Yes

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Yes, but even longer than six months

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Yes, but only about two months

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I hate fastpass. Disney should get rid of the system altogether.

Votes: 11 22.0%

• Total voters

justintheharris

Original Poster
I was just wondering if you guys think Disney should take after Universal and refuse fastpass options for attractions that are brand new. Disney is reportedly doing this with both Star Wars attractions. Do you think Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, Ratatouille, Guardians of the Galaxy, Tron and beyond should all follow in their footsteps?

justintheharris

Original Poster
Fastpass is a benefit but it slows the regular line down to a crawl. I firmly believe you'd get through lines faster than a fast pass if all rides didn't have it.
I agree but I think it would a little unreasonable to completely take out the system. I am ecstatic though that Disney decided is not offering fastpass for Star Wars initially but I think it may be more concerned with crowd control because I was at opening day for Toy Story and all the cast members are talking about "six hours for Slinky Dog Dash, three hours just to enter the land, UNLESS YOU HAVE A FASTPASS" and you needed to show the cast members that you indeed had a fastpass. And you can only imagine how well that was going with the MyDisneyExperience app.

Indy_UK

The whole system needs to be reworked. I would strip free passes completely and introduce new tiers.

1. Standby. As it's always been
2. A WDW version of Maxpass for $15 a day
3. A premium unlimited version with unlimited Fastpasses for $50 a day

justintheharris

Original Poster
The whole system needs to be reworked. I would strip free passes completely and introduce new tiers.

1. Standby. As it's always been
2. A WDW version of Maxpass for $15 a day
3. A premium unlimited version with unlimited Fastpasses for $50 a day
You're dreaming if you think $15 and $50 are good prices for those. Everyone will buy them and the fastpass line will be the new two hour line and the standby will be six hours on a regular basis.

KCheatle

I honestly don't mind the FP system. I think it needs to be tweaked so that fewer fast passes are available in total for each ride, and so that fewer fast passes are available 60 and 30 days in advance for each ride. I think families that come to WDW should be able to book FPs for popular rides if they arrive first thing in the morning. I'm not saying there should be a lot left day of, but I think there should be some. I don't know what those numbers should be because I don't know what the numbers are now. But, I do think Disney over-provides FPs to certain experiences because it's makes its customers happy and more willing to come to the parks, and because it doesn't really care about how the people in standby feel because they've already paid admission. If it really wanted to please the masses, it would re-work the numbers.

I also like the tier system. I think it actually does a nice job of forcing people to spread out in the parks and experience things they might not have otherwise experienced.

As for paying extra, I can assure you $50 is not even close to what an "unlimited FP" would cost. Last year I was able to pay for the extra FPs because I stayed concierge level. I had to buy 3 days worth at a minimum at $50/person. For my family of 4, I paid $200/day for just 3 extra FPs. Granted, I was not limited by the tier system with those - I could book whatever I wanted. But, it was $50 for 3, for a minimum of 3 days - so a minimum of $150 for 9 FPs. Was it worth it? IDK?? I enjoyed it after it was paid for I guess?

In any event, I'm betting if they ever did an unlimited fast pass you'd be looking at at least $350 per ticket.

erasure fan1

I think fastpass needs an overhaul but they should just have it from the start. I would not start the return times until about an hour and a half to 2 hours after open to let the rope droppers who couldn't get a pass get through without having to deal with fastpass.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Fastpass+ sucks. I liked the paper system just fine!
(Has no bearing on this discussion. Eh whatever. Carry on!)

Oh, I should add...
If Haunted Mansion were to drop Fastpass; I'm almost certain the wait times wouldn't be 60+ mins. Although to fully test this theory, TDO should consider adding Fastpass+ to Swiss Family Robinson Tree House, CBJ and Tiki Room for a good baseline measure.

re-OP: Do I think Fastpass should be offered on a brand new attraction? Yes! To better disperse crowds. My question, should it be offered as a pay addon to the current tiered system?

Goofyernmost

I agree but I think it would a little unreasonable to completely take out the system. I am ecstatic though that Disney decided is not offering fastpass for Star Wars initially but I think it may be more concerned with crowd control because I was at opening day for Toy Story and all the cast members are talking about "six hours for Slinky Dog Dash, three hours just to enter the land, UNLESS YOU HAVE A FASTPASS" and you needed to show the cast members that you indeed had a fastpass. And you can only imagine how well that was going with the MyDisneyExperience app.
Let me say this... In my opinion, Disney declines to issue fastpasses to new attractions because they know that FP artificially increases wait times and since the demand will be at it's highest at a new opening they know that people will move along smoothly and with far less stress without FP. It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to figure out that if it helps enjoyment, overall, to guest for a new venue, then it will be even better for the less popular attractions throughout the parks.

Fastpass was something that looked good on paper (either paper pass or FP+), but, just didn't do what was expected. It managed to make a few that were willing to spend hours online or on the phone to secure a few precious passes the ability to get on quicker with FP, but, you have to plan your day around them and since it still is limited as to how many you can get, the fact is that if you want to do any of the other attractions you will be stuck in a standby line someplace, feeling frustrated as others legally cut in front of you, the one that has been standing in that line for what seems like days. It creates anger, frustration and stress, none of these things are what are usually associated with a fun vacation experience. As a person the goes back to pre-FP day and experienced every incarnation, the experience was a whole lot more fun before the FP era's I don't mind telling people that it was so much better before. Anytime that anyone has to feel anger and frustration in what is supposed to be a fun experience should be able to easily see the flaw in this system.

justintheharris

Original Poster
Let me say this... In my opinion, Disney declines to issue fastpasses to new attractions because they know that FP artificially increases wait times and since the demand will be at it's highest at a new opening they know that people will move along smoothly and with far less stress without FP. It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to figure out that if it helps enjoyment, overall, to guest for a new venue, then it will be even better for the less popular attractions throughout the parks.

Fastpass was something that looked good on paper (either paper pass or FP+), but, just didn't do what was expected. It managed to make a few that were willing to spend hours online or on the phone to secure a few precious passes the ability to get on quicker with FP, but, you have to plan your day around them and since it still is limited as to how many you can get, the fact is that if you want to do any of the other attractions you will be stuck in a standby line someplace, feeling frustrated as others legally cut in front of you, the one that has been standing in that line for what seems like days. It creates anger, frustration and stress, none of these things are what are usually associated with a fun vacation experience. As a person the goes back to pre-FP day and experienced every incarnation, the experience was a whole lot more fun before the FP era's I don't mind telling people that it was so much better before. Anytime that anyone has to feel anger and frustration in what is supposed to be a fun experience should be able to easily see the flaw in this system.
Okay, Disney and everyone are aware the presence of a fastpass queue increases wait times. However, because it is free and everyone has access, it is fair to assume that most people in a standby queue already have a fastpass for something else.

justintheharris

Original Poster
Fastpass+ sucks. I liked the paper system just fine!
(Has no bearing on this discussion. Eh whatever. Carry on!)

Oh, I should add...
If Haunted Mansion were to drop Fastpass; I'm almost certain the wait times wouldn't be 60+ mins. Although to fully test this theory, TDO should consider adding Fastpass+ to Swiss Family Robinson Tree House, CBJ and Tiki Room for a good baseline measure.

re-OP: Do I think Fastpass should be offered on a brand new attraction? Yes! To better disperse crowds. My question, should it be offered as a pay addon to the current tiered system?
If it is offered as a paid add on, the price would need to be... practically an additional 100$ possibly more. And you're absolutely correct regarding Haunted Mansion as well as other omnimover attractions. If the ride is constantly moving and loading, the queue for it should be for it too. Fastpass is the reason it doesn't.

Goofyernmost

Okay, Disney and everyone are aware the presence of a fastpass queue increases wait times. However, because it is free and everyone has access, it is fair to assume that most people in a standby queue already have a fastpass for something else.
No, it's not fair to even think about it. It doesn't matter because even if they do, out of necessity it does not alleviate the frustration while one is standing in it. The only time one feels OK is in the FP line itself. There is no choice A or B without it. Everyone is completely under the rule of first come, first served. No running around trying to fit in other attractions while you wait for your window to open. How it worked was you walked up to the attraction and if you thought the line was reasonable you joined it, if not you went by and came back later when it was. This may seem odd, but you could get to the end of Main Street and turn left or right and go to each attraction in the order in which you got to them. No running around trying to make the window, no working to figure out how you eat and not miss your chance. And the theory that everyone has equal access to one is fallacy as well. Fastpass has limited access due to the nature of it. If everyone could get a fastpass then the Fastpass line would become the standby line.

It wasn't perfect, but, the shorter wait in ONE line kept things moving and a whole lot less upsetting. The fact that when you got to the end of that line YOU WERE NEXT. More then made up for the few extra minutes that you where in it. The very fact that if Disney has decided that when the demand is the highest, the best way to go is without any Fastpass offering, should tell you everything that you need to know. If it helped the situation they would have done it from the get go. No one should have to go to a Disney Park and feel anger, frustration and not really have gained anything by the end of the day then one would without that firestorm.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

NO. FP+ should be available right from the start. Guests who are booking trips are doing so so that these new attractionms will be a part of their trips. They should be able to book a FP+ to give them a chance to experience the attraction without a 6 hour wait. I dont think the FP+ idea is what it should be and it does need tweaking to make it better/ more efficient, but at least something is in place that gives a paying guest some kind of benefit of paying to stay on site.

Goofyernmost

NO. FP+ should be available right from the start. Guests who are booking trips are doing so so that these new attractionms will be a part of their trips. They should be able to book a FP+ to give them a chance to experience the attraction without a 6 hour wait. I dont think the FP+ idea is what it should be and it does need tweaking to make it better/ more efficient, but at least something is in place that gives a paying guest some kind of benefit of paying to stay on site.
Very few of us live close to WDW, all of us whether we are staying at a Disney resort or an outside one, have traveled to get there and the sole purpose was to go to those premium attractions. So that covers probably about 90% of the guest any given day. I may not have been hornswagalled into paying ransom rates in one of Disney's five start accommodations, but, I am still a paying guest. Just because I didn't stay onsite doesn't make me any less worthy of experiencing any attraction at WDW. How about if the onsite guest got theirs free and the rest of us lowlifes have the opportunity to pay for them. I mean honestly onsiters have already paid a pirates treasure just to lie down on a mattress, you're right they should be able to have that perk. However, we all paid the same amount (approximately) to actually get into the parks the rest of us should be afforded a little bit of a perk because we just paid $20.00+ for parking, a C note for admission. $6 for a $1.25 Mickey Bar and so on. I'd like to be recognized as an important entity as well.

JIMINYCR

Very few of us live close to WDW, all of us whether we are staying at a Disney resort or an outside one, have traveled to get there and the sole purpose was to go to those premium attractions. So that covers probably about 90% of the guest any given day. I may not have been hornswagalled into paying ransom rates in one of Disney's five start accommodations, but, I am still a paying guest. Just because I didn't stay onsite doesn't make me any less worthy of experiencing any attraction at WDW. How about if the onsite guest got theirs free and the rest of us lowlifes have the opportunity to pay for them. I mean honestly onsiters have already paid a pirates treasure just to lie down on a mattress, you're right they should be able to have that perk. However, we all paid the same amount (approximately) to actually get into the parks the rest of us should be afforded a little bit of a perk because we just paid $20.00+ for parking, a C note for admission. $6 for a $1.25 Mickey Bar and so on. I'd like to be recognized as an important entity as well.
NOT saying YOU as an off site guest shouldnt be recognized. Yes you are paying your entrance fee and parking fee, BUT those who are paying to stay on site and are paying for that resort at a higher price should get some benefit. If I fly economy I'm not getting the same services as those flying first class. If I purchase a new vehicle I'm getting better incentives/ services from buying new than used. Thats the way everything in business works. Those who spend more get more for their doing more business. YOU can stay off site and sbve yourself money, thats fine. Thats your choice. But Disney is rewarding me because I choose to stay with them. Its my decision how I spend my money and if I'm rewarded by them or being given some perk you dont get then thats helping me to decide to stay onsite on my next trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom