Trip Report *COMPLETED* No bouche for you! But do you want to build a snowman?

Hello all! We've been back for almost two weeks now, and while the holidays are still winding down, I still wish I was back in Disney so I figured I'd get this TR started! First the intros -

Who: Myself (Frank), my wife K, and our 4 year old princess C. This would be our second trip as a family in just as many years. I had been many times when I was younger with my family, and K had been a few times in the past. Once we hit college years we had stopped (for some reason), but after last year we were hooked (again for me).

IMG_4184.JPG

Also joining for the first half were my in-laws, G & P. They prefer to not have pictures on the internet, so they won’t be visibly appearing in this report.

When: December 9 - 15th 2018 (G & P were the 9th - 12th)

Where: Caribbean Beach Resort, stayed in Aruba 4626. I've always wanted to try this resort, and when I saw the concept art for the renovations I was really excited. We knew it was a risk that construction could get pushed back (and I started getting really nervous in August/September), but with a free dining promotion it was a deal I couldn't pass up! I'll give my thoughts on the resort including the renovations in the report.

Why: I detailed this more in the PTR, but long story short - we're expecting a little mouseketeer in April, and wanted one more big trip just the three of us. Plus the past year had it's ups and down and we could use a good vacation to round out the year. 65 days out G&P asked if they could join, and while it meant re-arranging a bit, we figured the more the merrier!

What this trip report has in store for you: Transportation failures, face-stuffing and imbibing, magic band failures, scooter drama, seasonal merriment, DVC dilemmas (do we join? you'll have to find out!) and of course quite a bit of magic.

Last edited:

Spash007

Original Poster
Oddly enough I experienced a somewhat similar guest/CM interaction in the Emporium during the August family trip. A guest was looking for rose gold ears and asked a CM where to find them. The CM politely responded, "we have many in stock, right behind you on this rack". The guest was adamant that those were not the rose gold ears and continued to ask where to find them. I watched, holding in laughter, as the CM continued to assure the guest that the giant rack of ears were, in fact, the rose gold colour she was seeking. It all ended with the guest huffing out and the CM looking dazed and confused.

To your question, they did talk about how they handle some of the interactions and most of it revolved around the courtesy key. Always be as courtesy to guests as possible while offering the correct information even if the guest doesn't want to hear it or, in your scenario, clearly has their facts mixed up.

Like all human beings, even CMs can be pushed to their limits I would imagine!

I feel like some people just like to argue.

The CM was definitely courteous, and I applaud his (and every other CM's patience). It's not something I could probably do!

Continuing to enjoy your report and the detailed narration. Great idea using the balloon for guidance!

All your stories about interactions with other people confirm my long held opinion about the crowds at WDW. They can be very amusing, memorable and annoying. Usually it's a combination.

Thank you! You hit the nail on the head with that description - none of the other guests had a lasting impact on our trip, but they definitely added to the moment and made it more memorable in one way or another.

Spash007

Original Poster
Picking up where I left off, we made our way over to Discovery Island. We had some time to kill so we took some PP pictures.

PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_414895024520.JPG

And then we explored the shops a bit.

IMG_3569.jpg

This was one of the first times this trip we really took time in the shops, and I was very tempted by some of the Christmas merch.

IMG_3570.jpg

IMG_3571.jpg

Not so much this one, I just thought it looked like a lot of fun. Until I saw the price tag - I believe it was $175!

IMG_3572.jpg

Our FP window opened up, and we made our way over to the Adventurers Outpost for Mickey and Minnie.

When we first started planning this trip, we were planning on skipping this M&G, since we would see Mickey and Minnie elsewhere. But then we saw a picture of their Christmas outfits and put it back on the table. We had nothing else to really use a FP for, so we figured we might as well use it here since the line can get unreasonably long.

As we waited in line, and first caught a glimpse of Mickey and Minnie C was VERY excited.

IMG_3576.jpg

This had to be the best character interaction of the trip. The handler and the photographer really added to the experience and I'm very glad they didn't have the photo box (which now I'm wondering if Disney decided not to do since I haven't seen they were added anywhere?). Where a lot of these M&G's they have the parents stand to the side, and the handler might talk to us quietly, here they involved all of us, making jokes, giving high fives etc. It was actually a lot of fun for all of us. And we got plenty of photos too.

PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_414895372625.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_414895372628.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_414895372630.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_414895373080.JPG

Spash007

Original Poster
Mickey and Minnie were goofing around with each other, as well as the rest of us.

IMG_3582.jpg

PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_414895764925.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_414895765367.JPG

After we finished here, our plan was to take the afternoon pretty easy. We were starting to feel hungry, but not hungry enough to warrant a trip to Flame Tree. Disappointing I wasn't hungrier, but glad I could use those snack credits, I stopped across the way and picked up some mac and cheese with pork on top.

We didn't have nearly as many green onions, but courtesy of DFB:

Pulled-Pork-Mac-and-Cheese_Eight-Spoon-Cafe_17-04-700x465.jpg

This was seriously awesome. So I went back and got a second for us to all split.

We sat on the half wall outside of Flame Tree, and as we were eating, a dance party started up. Rather than going to join in, C made her own in front of us, while we relaxed.

IMG_4993.jpg

We sat here for at least 30-45 minutes, letting her dance, letting us relax, and catching the macaws fly around. They seemed to come out when we didn't expect it, so I sadly didn't get a picture.

This was all just an unexpected and unplanned time, which came to be one of my favorite times of the trip.

Eventually we started getting antsy, and went on our way. The plan was for C, K & G to explore Dinoland, while P & I enjoyed the single rider at Everest.

We walked over to Dinoland together, and then split off.

IMG_3591.jpg

Making our way over.

IMG_3593.jpg

This was my first time on Everest, and I was super excited going in. The last time I had gone to AK with my family, Everest was being built (and I really wanted to go so badly). I went back in High school with the band, and we skipped AK. Last year, we didn't even make it to Asia.

Of course my PP picture didn't show up. :banghead:

Otherwise, I thought it was awesome! I wish the Yeti was functioning of course, but it's so intricately designed, and I still have no idea what happened when we were in the dark. This definitely moved to the top of my must-do attractions in DW.

Spash007

Original Poster
After getting off of Everest, P & I made it back to Dinoland to find the rest of the group. They had gone on the Triceratop Spin, and taken a short break.

Something I did not expect at all was holiday decorations in Dinoland! Somewhat like HS, but a little more 80s/90s in their approach.

IMG_3594.jpg

IMG_3595.jpg

Since we had time, we figured the dig site would be fun for C to run around. We also knew Pluto to be around, and outside the dig site was a sign to "meet Pluto". So we walked in but could not find Pluto for the life of us.

Finally, he showed up, and quickly the kids gathered. Pluto met with one kid, and then another, and then left? :oops: I enjoy the pop-up characters, but don't advertise that you can meet one, and have him stop by for only 3 minutes. C was disappointed, but we told her she would have the chance to meet him in a few days.

We let C run around a bit and get some energy out.

IMG_3602.jpg

IMG_3604.jpg

At one point, she went to the top near the slides, and told us she would come down. So we're standing there waiting, and she never comes down. :oops: Kids who we just saw go up are coming down, and there's no sign of her. We know there's only one entrance to the area so we weren't too worried, but of course your mind goes to the worst places.

We start looking around, and still can't find her. Finally I climb up on the slides, and she's not where I had last seen her (or told her to go...). Instead, she went around to look for another way down because she didn't want to go down that slide. All innocent, and we weren't even mad. It just got our blood pressure up a little higher than I wanted.

After a bit more playing, we had to beg (aka force) her to leave. We were going to find Chip and Dale, but we honestly weren't in the mood to stand. We had about an hour and a half until our evening FP for the Safaris, so our options were the Up Bird Show, or Nemo. Looking at times though, we had just missed Up, but Nemo was about to start.

Not that upset to be missing Up, we made our way over to Nemo.

As we got towards the theater, K pointed out a sign that said "stroller parking for Finding Nemo". It seemed a bit far, but I listened to the sign. As we got closer, of course there was more parking right outside the doors :rolleyes:

We honestly never considered this show since it's 40 minutes, so we didn't know what we were getting when we went in. Since we had the time, and it was starting to get a bit cooler again, and it was nice to sit, we really didn't mind and were interested in what we were about to see.

Honestly, we enjoyed it! I was iffy about how they could turn Finding Nemo into a musical, but overall it worked. Some of the songs were a bit odd, and some of the effects were a bit trippy, but it was all fun and definitely showed Disney's knack at creativity. We especially enjoyed the props and the way they brought some of the characters to life.

IMG_3606.jpg

But the beginning... dang. I know a parent usually passes in most Disney films, but when you see it "in person", it was a really depressing beginning lol. Just consider yourself warned. And the lighting made it really hard for any good pictures to come out.

IMG_3608.jpg

Of course the bubbles that came out were also a big hit (but the lighting prevented any good picture).

Once the show was over, we had about 20 minutes until the start of our Safari. And we wanted to wait a bit anyway to let it be closer to Sunset. So we started a slow walk over to Africa, by way of Asia.

One sidenote - I know a lot of people pan Disney for the theming in Dinoland. But the area by Nemo is by far the worst. I know it technically is Dinoland, but it's just pine trees! After the rest of the park is so rich in theming, it is just underwhelming.

Soon enough we were crossing back in Asia.

IMG_3611.jpg

IMG_3612.jpg

The theming here is really something else. In some ways it's a bit too busy for me. I enjoy it, don't get me wrong. But I think Africa remains my top land in AK because it is a bit more simple.

IMG_3613.jpg

IMG_3614.jpg

Spash007

Original Poster
There is just always something to get a picture of.

IMG_3615.jpg

As we were walking, C started saying she was hungry. We tried offering some fun snack ideas like a Mickey pretzel, popcorn, etc but all she wanted was chips. We had a big dinner in a couple hours, so that was ok to tide her over. I stopped to grab her some chips, and since we were just strolling at this point, I figured to get beer too. I believe K got a soda or a lemonade too.

I really wanted something I couldn't get elsewhere, so I ordered the Kungaloosh. Imagine my thrill when the CM told me this is a Disney-specific beer! I usually enjoy red ales, and really enjoyed this. So much I even took a picture to remember it!

IMG_3618.jpg

Beer in hand, we continued our stroll to Africa.

It was getting quite chilly, and the monkeys weren't even out.

IMG_3620.jpg

IMG_3622.jpg

IMG_3623.jpg

Outside of the Up theater I thought these were a pretty neat way to try to make the IP appropriate to the land.

IMG_3624.jpg

Outside of the Safari, we looked at the some of the noise makers to play with and buy for some gifts back home. While there, these guys passed by, and we enjoyed the show.

IMG_3629.jpg

It was a little earlier than we had planned to get on the Safari, but we were getting cold, and were tired, so we figured let's cash in the FP and get on board. I was starting to chug my beer, when I realized - I had the stroller! It's cold enough out to put it in the cup holder leave it for a bit. (I covered it with a napkin just in case)

This morning's Safari was even paced, and smooth. This one, was the opposite. It wasn't rushed, but definitely quicker. And a lot bumpier.

This guy came pretty close to say hello.

IMG_3641.jpg

The giraffes though were in a similar position as this morning.

IMG_5007.jpg

The elephants were nice and active.

IMG_5009.jpg

Spash007

Original Poster
I'll make a confession - when we saw the fake sunset, we had a conversation about how bright it was and were surprised the sun was setting so early. Finally after we were all looking at it for awhile, we started wondering if it was real or not. After reading some more TRs after we came back, I realized it wasn't. Raise your hand if your a gullible tourist! :facepalm:

C was very happy to see her flamingos again.

IMG_5011.jpg

The highlight of this Safari was definitely the lions. This one got up right as we drove away, and as soon as we were past this area we could hear him roaring. Even though we didn't see him, it was still pretty neat to hear a real lion's roar.

IMG_5013.jpg

IMG_5014.jpg

When we got off of the Safari, I went to grab the stroller and couldn't find it anywhere. It didn't help that everyone had the same one, but P & I were going through every single one and didn't see it. I'll admit, while we had insurance on the stroller - I was concerned about my beer too lol.

We flagged down the CM, who pretty much said "this happens sometimes, I'll get my manager". That comment started getting my blood boiling, and if my in-laws weren't there, I probably would have had a few choice words. If this "happens", maybe you should change the system? I know it's not the CMs fault, but their non-chalant attitude bothered me.

While waiting for the manager, we took another look, and started going through all the stuff on the strollers. And guess what - ours was the last one, in the back corner. When we were done, I told K I want to bring that balloon with us from now on, no matter how annoying it can get.

After that adventure, we made our way towards the front of the park, right when they were waking up the Tree of Life.

IMG_5025.jpg

Last year we thoroughly enjoyed this, but this year it felt different. I don't remember there being as much IP music and symbols being used, but I also haven't seen any notice of a change (or anyone on the News & Rumor board complaining), so I might be wrong, or there might be different parts of it? We left when it looked like it was over, but we heard more music as were further away so maybe we missed the part we saw last year.

IMG_5026.jpg

Substantially tired, and getting pretty cold, we made our way over to the bus stop.

IMG_5027.jpg

Our destination - Animal Kingdom Lodge for one of the meals I was looking forward to the most - Boma!

Spash007

Original Poster
As we made our way over the AK bus, C fell quickly asleep in the stroller. We waited probably about 15 minutes for the bus, so we let her sleep. Even when we got on the bus and took out, she just kept sleeping.

As we pulled up to the lodge, our excitement was building as we had never been here before and couldn't wait to see inside. I was bringing up the rear with the stroller, and as we made our way in, P turned around to me and said "you have got to see this." My propensity for Christmas decorations is no secret, and the lobby was stunning.

IMG_3644.jpg

We explored a little bit, before finding our way over to Boma. We were a few minutes early, but considering the entire area out front was filled with people, I figured it couldn't hurt to put our name in. I also had to ask where to put the stroller as it seemed every possible space was filled with people.

We used the time we were waiting to freshen up and get C awake. We ended up waiting for about 30 minutes (20 minutes after the ADR time), and the CM apologized for the wait. We were led to the table, and waited probably about 10 minutes for the server.

IMG_3645.jpg

In pouring over the drink menu, I wasn't all that impressed but I saw the Smoked Turkey. Considering this had it's own trip report named after it by @Ariel1986,, I figured I couldn't go wrong with it. It was good, but was different than I expected. I should have read the description more, as I expected it to have a smoked/woodsy bourbon flavor, but it was much sweeter with a strong cherry taste to it. It was still very good, but probably would have been better on it's own than with dinner.

After we placed our drinks, we took turns getting on the buffet line, which was MASSIVE. :oops: I've never had to wait so long to just get food at a buffet. Once to the food, the options were plentiful, but I felt like I had to get some of everything so I wouldn't get back in line. I had some of the beef and mashed potatoes which were both great, the different salads which sounded better than they were (their flavors were pretty overpowering), the butternut squash soup which was good, and a bit of everything else that wasn't very noteworthy. The spiced chicken was also pretty dry.

While I didn't take pictures of the main meal, the dessert options were great and I had to take a picture.

IMG_3647.jpg

The zebra dome was good, but not nearly as life-changing as I expected. The bread pudding was by far my favorite of the desserts, followed by the panna cotta and what I believe was a raspberry mousse.

Around 8:45 pm we wrapped up. While the food was good, there weren't really enough great dishes to make up for the wait, plus the long line for food, and also having to get to AKL to just eat. We sadly figured we probably won't be back anytime too soon (maybe one day, especially to see the savannah in the light). Even though it was dark, and we knew we probably wouldn't see any animals, we decided to explore outside for a bit.

We heard some animals making noise, and saw a few birds, but that was about it. We did get a new view of the inside for the lodge. P said he would like to stay here one day, and it definitely got the wheels in our heads turning too about future vacations.

IMG_3648.jpg

At this point we were all exhausted, and the thought of having to switch buses back at AK was less than appealing so I opened lyft to price out a Minnie Van. It was a little pricier than an Uber SUV with a car seat, but figured to go for it. Until the app wouldn't "connect to a driver". :banghead:

After a few times of trying, I gave up and just ordered an Uber instead. While waiting we explored the store and the lobby and ... also kept losing each other. Not sure how we achieved this, but multiple times in a ten minute span we lost everybody in our party at least once.

IMG_3649.jpg

Once the Uber showed up, we were all together and loaded in for the drive back to CBR. Supposedly the Uber should have dropped us off at OPR (at least according at an angry ex-CM on facebook), but instead they drove right to the main circle in Jamaica, and let us out there. We made our short walk back to the room, and C went over to G&P's room to watch a movie before bed as they would be leaving in the morning.

At this point it was around 9:30, but I had to head over to OPR to drop off the ECV. K was doing ok with walking, and especially since the rest of the trip would be slower paced, we had arranged for a pick up of the one we currently had for 7:30 the next morning. Why I didn't move it back to a later time that would've allowed me to go the next morning I don't know. :banghead:

But at least I got the experience of driving it through mostly uncrowded paths, and along my way, even saw some fireworks going off from Epcot.

IMG_3650.jpg

As I was watching a bit, I got a text from K that they could hear the fireworks clearly from the room, and C was really wanting to watch them. I told her that they could see them, but would need to walk down towards the water to do it. Since everyone was in their PJs at this point, we put that off for another night.

After dropping off the ECV at the valet, I moseyed around the shop a bit, and texted a few tempting items to K. Her parents got her a small Dooney last year, so I knew she would enjoy this. While tempting, we didn't get one.

56627627816__A708FEAB-46A8-43F1-8075-776AD61B0BB3.jpg

This I thought would be great for little man to be, and G&P actually got it for him for Christmas this year.

56627645183__8D0D7D97-879F-4176-B201-ADA6E1F3BD5B.jpg

I also really like this line of Christmas decor this year, but didn't want to bring a pillow on the plane. I swear, if we weren't flying I would probably be in so much more trouble with my wallet.

56627650494__38D30460-33CA-4683-898E-D7020EA2A69D.jpg

After a bit of browsing, I made my way back to the room. It was a beautiful night, and hardly anyone was out so I took my time heading back and enjoying the sights.

56627665430__4DF3AD7E-F958-4667-AB74-EAF6E470F033.jpg

Once back, we all fell asleep pretty quickly after 3 very full and long days. While we were sad that G&P would be leaving in the morning, we were I think all looking forward to a slower pace. I also had to move the elf, but for the life of me, can't remember where she went. I think possibly holding the snowflake wand from the night before.

Spash007

Original Poster
You know when you're going crazy with things going on and life tells you to slow down? That's been us - 2 sinus infections, a 24 hour bug with a high fever, a separate stomach bug and a separate trip to the ER really made us realize just how blessed we normally are. Luckily everything and everyone turned out just fine.

Now that life is starting to get back to normal, I'm making my way back to the forums and am hoping to get this TR going again very soon!

krisri18

You know when you're going crazy with things going on and life tells you to slow down? That's been us - 2 sinus infections, a 24 hour bug with a high fever, a separate stomach bug and a separate trip to the ER really made us realize just how blessed we normally are. Luckily everything and everyone turned out just fine.

Now that life is starting to get back to normal, I'm making my way back to the forums and am hoping to get this TR going again very soon!
Glad to hear everyone is on the mend and can't wait to hear more about your trip!

tatibus0913

Hope you're all feeling better, I just got caught on your trip report! I LOVE the holiday outfits with Mickey and Minnie, and what a great photo of your daughter with them!!

Spash007

Original Poster
Day 4: Wednesday 12/12 - "Rest" Day

When planning this trip, one of our big debates became whether or not we take a rest/non-park day in the middle. We felt it was needed, but when planning our FPs, I made the mistake of getting our one and only 7DMT this day. We kept both options open, but as the trip was going on, we realized we needed a day to re-charge and I cancelled the FP with hopes of rope dropping later in the week.

With a later breakfast ADR, and G&P leaving later this morning, we took it slow. C went over to spend some time in their room, while we got laundry together. I trekked over to get the laundry in, and enjoyed the morning. It was beautiful!

Having the bus stop so close to our room was great, but that meant most days we didn't walk along the water and enjoy this view.

Once I got back, we decided to head to OPR to get something to eat. On the way, C (and I lol) got distracted.

We also went by the Splash pad, which we were looking forward to enjoy later that day.

That is, until this happened:

C loves swimming, but does not like getting splashed/sprayed on. And I was with her that there was a ton of water coming down - it looks like it would hurt!

Eventually we joined everyone else inside. After our eating palooza from the last few days, we were all still stuffed (note to self: never do two buffets in one day, especially the day after eating at a place like Citricos). Nothing sounded appealing at Centertown market either, so we stopped in the grab and go and got some fruit, yogurt, cereal etc. Of course though, for some reason, even though I was not hungry, I got an egg sandwich on a croissant. There's no picture, and you're really not missing much. It was ok, a little soggy, but the taste of the croissant was nice and buttery.

For some reason I can't remember, the line took forever to check out, so by the time we got the food, I had to run back to switch the laundry. So I ended up eating while walking. At this point I started talking to an old coworker (I think it was this day) about all the construction, so I took more pictures of everything going up. He's a Disney nerd too, and we would randomly talk about Disney history.

Spash007

Original Poster
When I got back, everyone else was done, but since we still had time before G&P's TE, and our breakfast ADR, we enjoyed the sunshine a bit.

C also loves playing cornhole, and I can't believe all the places she finds them. Parks, restaurants, a winery one time, and now at Disney. Go figure. K and I found a bench and just enjoyed the weather and view, while she got some more play time in with G&P.

The time for their TE was quickly approaching, so they all headed inside to do some last minute shopping and I ran back to get our laundry and drop it off in the room. On the way, I also went to book us a ride over to the Boardwalk for our ADR. The idea of paying for transportation at Disney doesn't sit well with me, but sometimes it's just so darn convenient. In this case, it let us spend more time with G&P and leave at the same time, so it was worth it.

C had seen a Minnie Van the day before, and really wanted to go in one. The app kept freezing though on "connecting to driver". So instead, I just got a regular Uber with a car seat.

As I'm walking back to OPR, I get a text from K asking how much longer I'll be, and whether I think I'll be there before G&P leave. I'm no athlete, but I sprint back to make sure I get there in time. And of course their TE ends up being late, so we just sit for 5 minutes. Oh well, better safe than sorry.

Eventually it pulls up, and right as we're saying goodbye, our Uber shows up. Talk about perfect timing!

I have to admit, this ride was weird since G&P weren't with us. K asked what I thought about our time with them, and I think I surprised her when I said not only did it go better than imagined, but I would definitely think about doing it again. I didn't have huge concerns going in, but you always do worry about having to balance plans, personalities etc. For us, it worked out really well since we were able to split up a bit, and got to do things we probably otherwise wouldn't have.

Soon enough we were pulling up to the Boardwalk, and we were both very excited to visit another resort we have never been too. We are beach people, so we loved the feel the minute we walked in. On top of that, while the gingerbread house wasn't as looming at the one at GF. It really was still something spectacular (and of course all of my photos were of the Christmas decorations haha).

I will say that the lobby was a bit smaller than I imagined, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

We had some time before our ADR, so we enjoyed our walk over. Did I mention it was beautiful out?

Spash007

Original Poster

Our ADR was at Trattoria al Forno. We waited probably about 10 minutes, and sat in the waiting area by a family who looked to be cosplaying with homemade outfits and accessories from Tangled. It was seriously impressive. They complimented us on C's dress, and looked a little taken aback when we told them it was from Etsy because we have no talent like that.

Soon we were at our table, right in the middle by the dining room. The decor (both regular and holiday) were really nice. K and I decided we would love to come here one night for dinner, when it's Italian/non-character.

Our waitress was great. We asked about drinks on the Dining Plan, because it still seems too good to be true to me. The only thing not included was the children's lemonade with the light up character, because it counted as merchandise. We don't get a lot of souvenirs, so we figured we could indulge on this one.

A big difference in the past year or so is that C really enjoys playing/coloring with the place mats (which makes it easier on us haha).

Soon the pastries came out, which we were hard to not get filled up on.

For our meals (and I got food pictures this time! ;)) - C got the tower of pancakes, and actually ate a good amount of them.

K got I believe the Swimmers Delight - Egg White Omelet with Smoked Salmon, Goat Cheese, Spinach, Mushroom, and Tomato with Breakfast Potatoes. She said this was pretty much made for her, as it had her favorite things haha, and did not disappoint

For me, you know how I wasn't hungry and felt really full for the last few days? I still was didn't think I want anything too rich. So what did I get? Ursula's Cauldron (I think that was the name, it's apparently not on the menu anymore): Essentially breakfast potatoes covered in cheese and fried onions.

I think by something "not rich" I just didn't want anything with meat, because this hit the spot. It was so good, but you do have to really enjoy onions. K doesn't, and wouldn't touch it. I also didn't realize just how non-photogenic it was as I was devouring it.

For a drink I got the Italian Iced Tea - Essentially a Long Island Iced Tea. At first I thought this was a weaker version, until I hit the bottom. I enjoyed it haha. It's in the picture above in the back - nothing special to look at.

Spash007

Original Poster
As we were waiting on our food, the characters were starting to be announced, but they started on the other side. C started to get antsy, as they weren't exactly moving in a straight line or a pattern that made sense to us. First to come over was Rapunzel.

The characters here were good, but did leave a bit to be desired. Rapunzel was fine,, but I think we were both thinking Flyyn would be more engaging. I expected him to be a bit goofier/pompous but he was a bit more laid back.

We hardly even got a smoulder!

Ariel was next, and I hate to say that she was probably one of the worst character interactions we have had. She just seemed really rushed. C doesn't exactly know what to say yet to the characters, and freezes up sometimes. For Ariel though, she was actually trying to engage, and Ariel though seemed to just want to sign, take a picture and go.

You can see in this one Ariel actually kept looking up behind us at something else, and wouldn't actually bend down. It felt like we were holding her up from something.

Sure enough, right after this hug, an announcement came over about a parade around the restaurant. A lot of character meals do these, but I've never seen characters feel pressured to rush to join in before.

C chose to not participate in the parade and just watched them going around.

When this was done, Eric made his way over.

All was going well, and he was trying to get her to talk to him.

Finally she joins in the convo, and what does she ask? - "Where's Tiana?" :banghead:

He looked up at us with a confused look, probably wondering "Does she know what movie I'm in? Did you tell her Tiana would be here?". We meanwhile were shocked. A little taken back, but reminding ourselves that at 4, she doesn't understand that is rude to ask. But C has never shown an interest in Tiana. She has books of all the princesses, and will read ones with Tiana occasionally, but never really shows a desire to read about her, meet her etc. Since we were meeting Rapunzel here, we weren't planning on visiting the Princesses in MK, but I guess that would now change.

We quickly corrected her that she wasn't here, and tried to get her to not think more about Tiana. After the social faux pas, Eric was kind enough to still pose for a picture before moving on.

After the characters made their way through, our waitress came back over with the check and told us that C was so well behaved she included the lemonade as part of the Dining Plan after all. That was a really nice surprise to end a good meal.

Overall, Trattoria was very good, and I would definitely think about going back for breakfast and/or dinner. The character interactions weren't the best, but having the guys there was a nice change. And the food, service and atmosphere definitely made up for it.

With our bellies full, the sun shining and nothing to rush to, we took our time exploring the area some more and headed towards Beach Club.

fractal

Enjoying your report!

I'm glad you liked EE so much! I also appreciated all your observations and take on Animal Kingdom. I've never spent the time to see Nemo. It always seems to get a mixed reaction from those that do.

I don't know if you know where "Kungaloosh" comes from. It was a greeting used in the old Adventurers Club on Paradise Island (now Disney Springs).

Spash007

Original Poster
Enjoying your report!

I'm glad you liked EE so much! I also appreciated all your observations and take on Animal Kingdom. I've never spent the time to see Nemo. It always seems to get a mixed reaction from those that do.

I don't know if you know where "Kungaloosh" comes from. It was a greeting used in the old Adventurers Club on Paradise Island (now Disney Springs).

Thank you! I’ve heard great things about the Adventurers Club, and wish I was able to enjoy it in its time. I never knew the history of Kungaloosh though - it’s nice that Disney has made little tributes like that. Even though, after reading that article I really wish they would’ve just kept the Club!

I guess it really is hit or miss but we had our best character experience there (Although I can tell from the pictures that your characters had completely different friends than we did)

We heard similar things going in, especially about Flynn. I think that’s why we were a bit disappointed in them, but maybe we built our expectations too high.

Spash007

Original Poster
Like I said, it was a beautiful day. This walk was very peaceful, with not that many other people out.

I completely forgot/didn't realize just how close these resorts are to the IG. I thought there was a longer walk involved.

This area has to be one of the most photogenic in all of DW.

Back in the late 90s/early 2000s my family stayed at Beach Club quite a few times. Our previous "home" was Contemporary, but once us kids got older and we were more drawn to Epcot and MGM, Beach Club became our new favorite. This was my first time back since 2002, so I was pretty excited to see it all again.

Ah I miss those days in Stormalong Bay

More garland pictures. I wish they sold some of the ornaments on the garland, like the little beach door/hut.

We made our way into the lobby and instantly felt at home. We are definitely beach people (when we're not at Disney), and I remembered why my family started staying here so often.

In reality, we were also amazed by the carousel. While the gingerbread house at GF was something else, the intricacies involved in a moving piece of baked goods was astonishing to look at. So here are a million pictures of it :angelic:

Spash007

Original Poster
This entire post will be pictures of the carousel as a heads up.

Everytime we took a picture, we noticed another detail. Like the tree on that horses back!

And now each horse up close:

I wonder how they decided on names. Ginger I get, but then this one is Daisy, with months on her back?

Look at her candy cane mane!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom