No big upcoming attractions after TRON?

Fox&Hound

Animal Kingdom needs to keep utilizing dinosaurs in some form... At least to keep the prestige of the park up. They need to go back to the original plans for Dinoland.

With Universal beefing up on Jurassic Park and Disney having no real Dinosaur IP with staying power, I think it is time to move on. If "The Good Dinosaur" was the hit they hoped it would be, or "Dinosaur" for that matter, then it would be a different conversation. I know everyone wants IP-free, but is that really going to happen these days? Dinos are awesome but I don't see them doubling down on them. I bet it becomes Zootopia or South America/Encanto.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
With Universal beefing up on Jurassic Park and Disney having no real Dinosaur IP with staying power, I think it is time to move on.
I disagree. Dinosaurs are a popular genre in general. Especially for the young boys.
If "The Good Dinosaur" was the hit they hoped it would be, or "Dinosaur" for that matter, then it would be a different conversation.
You don't need IP... Everest has been doing just fine with numbers. ;-)
I know everyone wants IP-free, but is that really going to happen these days?
Space 220.
Dinos are awesome but I don't see them doubling down on them.
I actually don't see them replacing it with a different animal-theme. It just doesn't make any sense...
I bet it becomes Zootopia or South America/Encanto.
That would be a shame, a disgrace, and the end of the last extended Orlando Disney park that had any dignity left.

Fox&Hound

I disagree. Dinosaurs are a popular genre in general. Especially for the young boys.

You don't need IP... Everest has been doing just fine with numbers. ;-)

Space 220.

I actually don't see them replacing it with a different animal-theme. It just doesn't make any sense...

That would be a shame, a disgrace, and the end of the last extended Orlando Disney park that had any dignity left.
Oh, I agree they don't NEED IP, and that dinosaurs could stand on their own, but I would not be surprised if they get phased out. And Space 220 isn't really a great counter-argument, being it is a restaurant and not a ride or land they are trying to retheme. Not trying to argue but we can all agree that IF Dinoland is the next area to see some love, DIS is definitely going to find a way to tie it to IP and dinosaurs do not offer them that opportunity in a real, merchandising kind of way. Which is why, like it or not, they will take the easy way out and either theme it to Zootopia Disney: "Duh, there are animals in that movie, let's put them in AK where there are animals") or something else that does not quite fit. Guardians in EPCOT? I don't think DIS is too worried about what fits thematically anymore.

PS- And I still don't see how Zootopia works (wherever it is placed) without the walk around characters but maybe that's just me.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Oh, I agree they don't NEED IP, and that dinosaurs could stand on their own, but I would not be surprised if they get phased out. And Space 220 isn't really a great counter-argument, being it is a restaurant and not a ride or land they are trying to retheme. Not trying to argue but we can all agree that IF Dinoland is the next area to see some love, DIS is definitely going to find a way to tie it to IP and dinosaurs do not offer them that opportunity in a real, merchandising kind of way. Which is why, like it or not, they will take the easy way out and either theme it to Zootopia Disney: "Duh, there are animals in that movie, let's put them in AK where there are animals") or something else that does not quite fit. Guardians in EPCOT? I don't think DIS is too worried about what fits thematically anymore.
I don't disagree with anything you have said. I firmly believe that Disney will screw it up.

I was originally thinking theoretically, and you're thinking reality.

doctornick

With Universal beefing up on Jurassic Park and Disney having no real Dinosaur IP with staying power, I think it is time to move on. If "The Good Dinosaur" was the hit they hoped it would be, or "Dinosaur" for that matter, then it would be a different conversation. I know everyone wants IP-free, but is that really going to happen these days? Dinos are awesome but I don't see them doubling down on them. I bet it becomes Zootopia or South America/Encanto.

Just keep the bulk of Dinoland USA as is (Dinosaur the ride, the Boneyard and the restaurants/gift shop) and use the Dinorama plot (+Nemo theater?) for something else if they don't want to expand on the dinosaur theme. There is absolutely nothing wrong is that basic concept of Dinoland USA.

That said, I think a calm illustrative ride where you see Dinosaurs would be a great addition to Dinoland and DAK in general and be a good contrast to Uni's Jurassic Park "something goes terribly wrong" take on dinosaurs. It would be awesome to have something like the dino portion of UoE framed as the Dino Institute's caring for injured animals they brought back from the past.

JusticeDisney

I know. I’ve been posting less recently and the board is clearly worse off for it.
From your lips to God’s ears! I mean, when I noticed that you weren’t on here as often hurling childish insults at other people, I almost considered not renewing my premium membership. Thank goodness you are back and have returned to form. We are all blessed.

kalel8145

Just jumped on here during my lunch break, excitedly thinking there's going to be more info and rumors about possible upcoming projects...

Sadly, no. :-(
Thought I replied to this already, not sure what happened. However, you are right. I played a part in this, and other threads, going down hill. It gets to where you read an argument in every reply, intended or not. My apologies to all involved. :(
Now, Back to the happy place.

JusticeDisney

Thought I replied to this already, not sure what happened. However, you are right. I played a part in this, and other threads, going down hill. It gets to where you read an argument in every reply, intended or not. My apologies to all involved. :(
Now, Back to the happy place.
That’s a really classy and refreshing post. Much respect to you for making it. And allow me to join you in apologizing for also playing a role in the bickering. At the end of the day, all of us (well, most of us anyway) love WDW and that’s what brings us here. Screw the stupid arguments. Let’s just talk about what is, for many of us, our ultimate happy place.

Pepper's Ghost

*sigh of relief* This thread was getting ugly, and more like rumble at the local soda shop with yo-mama jokes, and other nasty comments. I'm happy to see cooler heads prevail instead of the bickering for several days. You don't have to like everyone on these boards. We should just be respectful. You know... "yo mama" said if you can't say something nice, don't say $#!t... or something like that. 😁 I'm not saying we can't disagree. Of course we can. We should just try to be respectful, and no, I'm not perfect of course. I've slipped here and there too, but I try.

kalel8145

*sigh of relief* This thread was getting ugly, and more like rumble at the local soda shop with yo-mama jokes, and other nasty comments. I'm happy to see cooler heads prevail instead of the bickering for several days. You don't have to like everyone on these boards. We should just be respectful. You know... "yo mama" said if you can't say something nice, don't say $#!t... or something like that. 😁 I'm not saying we can't disagree. Of course we can. We should just try to be respectful, and no, I'm not perfect of course. I've slipped here and there too, but I try.
Yeah, my bad man. :(

JusticeDisney

Spot. On.

BlakeW39

Jurassic Park does NOT own a patent on dinosaurs. Dinosaurs were real animals and it's ridiculous to suggest a corporation like Comcast could 'own them' to the point where we can't even acknowledge or celebrate them unless it's under Universal's oversight. Especially since Jurassic World is such a terrible franchise and offers such poor and inaccurate representations of dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs were popular long before Jurassic Park and our understanding of them since then means that real dinosaurs aren't even very similar to the ones in Jurassic Park, less so even in Jurassic World.

There are a multitude of ways Disney could keep representing them in their park, without being a cheap Jurassic Park clone. And without being a cheap rendition of the badlands. Which would need Carsland type architecture and rockwork to really work.

Last edited:

J4546

Id love to see Disney redo Dino Land and expand it, i drew up a little somethin in MS paint. If they rerouted the backstage road around the pond/lake and fipped the backstage marina to the other side of the river, they could use the lake as a set for shows, or for the roller coaster i drew to fly over. Also eliminating the road between dino ride and the new coaster I drew would give guest a cool view of the lake, maybe some kind of food as well....Im just making this up. I also added a volcano cause why not.

Attachments

• Animal Kingdom DinoLand.jpg
    Animal Kingdom DinoLand.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 56

Grumpy4196

I liked Dinosaur better when it was CTX. The bone-yard play area is a hidden gem for kids. Just add a smaller (dinosaur themed) indoor ride in the area where the coaster was and get rid of the silly carnival theming and the area is fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom