Trip Report No Baby, Still No Sleep, but LOTS of Food - Oct Trip to the Contemporary

Hello friends and happy Halloween eve!

Here is a link to my pre-trip

Several things changed between that pre-trip report and the actual trip, mostly reservations. Let's get into it!

Who: Me and R, celebrating 7 yEARS!
You may be wondering where the tiny person that accompanied us in the spring is. She stayed home with her doting grandparents and didn't even miss us! My mom kept her at our house all but one night, so she was happy in her normal routine.
When: Oct 19-24
Where: The Contemporary

Our trip started on a Saturday, which was a first for us. My mom arrived at the house around eleven and we finished up packing. I made sure she knew where everything was and we got on the road around noon. I got emotional in the car, but after that I was ok! I'm not a super emotional person, so while I missed my girl and felt weird without her, I wasn't like crying the whole time.

Our drive to the airport went smoothly and we stopped for some Lenny's once we got through security (only takes like 5 seconds in Memphis)

Not the most appetizing photo, but I love subs.

Some cute Southwest decor.

Flight took off on time and landed early. Score! We'd used ME tags so we didn't have to pick up luggage. We waited a little bit to get on a bus, then we were the last of 4 stops. The most expensive resort takes the longest to get to :rolleyes: Go figure. I think it was around 1.5 hours between the bus leaving and finally getting there because there was some traffic backed up near the Poly. I feel like maybe that's what they tell you to expect, but it almost never takes that long once you're going.

We'd originally planned to eat at Wine Bar George that night, but cancelled it a while back. I figured I'd rather try to get to Epcot that night and if we couldn't, we'd just eat at the Contemporary. With the long ME ride, I was worried, but it worked out. Also I was STARVING.

Perhaps my extreme hunger made me see these as fried eggs. I couldn't unsee it for the rest of the trip.

A quick nighttime shot in the room. I didn't do room photos since we were in a hurry to get to Epcot.

The Contemporary welcomed us with some much-needed chocolates that I scarfed down. It didn't do much to satiate me, but it was mostly tasty! Some of the truffles(?) were better than others.

I think we were on the monorail by 8:30 or a little after.

Hello, beautiful!

We made a beeline for some food.

Active Eats
  1. Loaded Macaroni & Cheese with Nueske's® Pepper Bacon, Cheddar and Leeks
  2. M.I.A. Beer Company HRD WTR Key Lime Hard Sparkling Water, Doral, FL (basically, lime White Claw)
The mac and cheese was good as usual and we basically inhaled it.

The Cheese Studio
  1. Braised Beef “Stroganoff” with Tiny Egg Noodles, Wild Mushrooms and Boursin® Garlic and Fine Herbs Cheese Sauce
  2. Black Pepper Boursin® Soufflé with Fig Marmalade
We've gotten the stroganoff before and always enjoy it. I let R eat most of it because the soufflé was mostly for me. I don't think he even tried it! I liked it. I'm not really familiar with soufflé or what the texture should be like, but based on what I've read it seems like they did a good job. I loved the fig marmalade too!

Inside the souffle

I had gotten us a FP+ for Epcot Forever, so we didn't venture far. We decided to check out the place that's in the old O Canada space.

Appleseed Orchard
  1. M.I.A. Beer Company Apple Trappe Belgian-Style Tripel Ale, Doral, FL
  2. Playalinda Brewing Co. Apple Pie Beer, Titusville, FL
  3. Sea Dog Brewing Co. Green Apple Ale, Clearwater, FL
  4. Ciderboys Lemon Cello Hard Cider, Stevens Point, WI
  5. Collective Arts Brewing Cherry Apple Hard Cider, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  6. Woodchuck Hard Cider Spiced Apple, Middlebury, VT
All of this was in flight form as you can see in the photo. None of them really wowed us, but it was all refreshing.

At this point it was about 15 minutes until Epcot Forever (it was at 10pm this night), so we headed to the FP area and found us a spot to sit. Everyone stood when the show started, which I was fine with.

I didn't hate it, but I thought it was a little boring. I don't have nostalgic ties to Epcot, and I think that's who this is for. Also the wind was blowing toward us, so it was really smoky and we got stuff in our eyes a few times. I guess it's a good thing I didn't LOVE this show, since it's temporary. I'm interested to see the one they're working on!

We exited with the rest of humanity after I made a stop at the pin station and bought some pins. There were a couple of limited edition ones I wanted and some mystery boxes that had just come out. R almost choked when he heard the total :hilarious: It's not a cheap hobby!

If I remember right, we didn't have issues getting on the monorail. It does take some time to get all the way around from the TTC to the Contemporary, but we survived.

When we got back, we decided to grab a drink at the Wave lounge because most lounges closed at 10 and the Wave was open til 1, I believe. We got a couple of drinks and some waffle fries (YUM!) and for some reason I took no pictures. Three girls in the college program sat next to us and we chatted with them a little because one of them was from Tennessee as well ,and the Vols game was on. One of them was a character attendant and actually knew a friend of Anna/Rapunzel who goes to the school where I work. Small world!

Anyway, we headed back around midnight and crashed. It was a long day, but a great start to the trip!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
It wasn’t just you - I totally saw a fried egg before I read your text (and must admit, for a brief second was wondering if I missed you saying you spent the first night offsite because of it). And unless you ate them before you took the picture, it doesn’t look like you had any truffles.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
A93EF763-94A7-4A93-A8BF-4D616428ED39.gif

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Oh good! Another TR. :)

(Interesting photo of the old O'Canada space, by the way.) Also, I haven't seen an updated photo of the Contemporary guest rooms for some time. There's been a number of redesigns there over the past 25 years.

sheriffwoody

Original Poster
I’m in! And first!
Woo hoo - great TR kickoff! Maybe I’ll be inspired by you to leave my toddler with her grandma so my husband and I can have a getaway...someday!
Following but not late!!
I’m in! We arrived the day after you guys left!
oh girl you know i'm here for this!!!
What a pleasant surprise to see this today. I’m in.
Oh good! Another TR. :)

(Interesting photo of the old O'Canada space, by the way.) Also, I haven't seen an updated photo of the Contemporary guest rooms for some time. There's been a number of redesigns there over the past 25 years.
Yay! Can't wait to follow along!
I'm here!

That looks so delicious!

And now, neither can I.
I saw the eggs in the carpet before I read your comment too! Looking forward to reading more about your trip!
I followed along on instagram, I can't wait to read all about it!!

Thank you all for following along!!

It wasn’t just you - I totally saw a fried egg before I read your text (and must admit, for a brief second was wondering if I missed you saying you spent the first night offsite because of it). And unless you ate them before you took the picture, it doesn’t look like you had any truffles.
I just checked and they're just fancy chocolates. I guess I always thought all small, fancy chocolates were truffles :hilarious:

jlag1006

If I remember right, we didn't have issues getting on the monorail. It does take some time to get all the way around from the TTC to the Contemporary, but we survived.

It doesn't really help now since you're back home, but we have learned not to take the resort loop when heading to the Contemporary from Epcot. When we transfer, we take the express loop to MK & then walk back from there. The resort loop monorail tends to come less frequently, then it takes forever because the Contemporary is the last stop. And especially at the end of the night, there aren't tons of people riding the express to MK.

PeoplemoverTTA

It doesn't really help now since you're back home, but we have learned not to take the resort loop when heading to the Contemporary from Epcot. When we transfer, we take the express loop to MK & then walk back from there. The resort loop monorail tends to come less frequently, then it takes forever because the Contemporary is the last stop. And especially at the end of the night, there aren't tons of people riding the express to MK.

This is SUCH a good tip I never considered when staying at the Contemporary!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom