NHL 2023/24 Official Discussion Thread (Current Champions: Vegas Golden Knights)

LSLS

I've been sitting on the sidelines as these discussions go back and forth....but I have to step in and disagree with LSLS. Although the "sizzle" ( a term used by someone a few days ago) may vary in intensity from year to year...overall, in the United States nothing beats the Yankees vs the Red Sox. Historically intense. (Sure if you live in Montreal or Toronto then you'll see the Leafs vs the Canadians as being superior). Yet I'm with @Lilofan that in the good 'ol USA Yankees vs Red Sox rules!
Ok, so now we are limiting to US rivalries? Are you comparing strictly red sox/Yankees to nhl united state rivalries, and are you comparing just current or historic?

I will point out this started as isles/rangers, and I absolutely will say that is not the biggest nhl rivalry in the US.

SteveBrickNJ

Ok, so now we are limiting to US rivalries? Are you comparing strictly red sox/Yankees to nhl united state rivalries, and are you comparing just current or historic?

I will point out this started as isles/rangers, and I absolutely will say that is not the biggest nhl rivalry in the US.
Yup. I started this. The blame is on me. 😂

SteveBrickNJ

I'm just trying to support @Lilofan
I didn't anticipate my Rangers vs Islanders comments to evolve into days of discussions on rivalries.
I am not the OP of a thread and it is not for me to say this is limited to USA rivalries. I keep mentioning Canadians vs Leafs.
Yet I would just say, if I am the executive of NBC Sports and I am offered to broadcast either: #1 Yankees vs Red Sox or #2 ANY NHL game...no matter who the NHL teams are....I'm gonna select the Yankees vs the Red Sox game.

LSLS

I'm just trying to support @Lilofan
I didn't anticipate my Rangers vs Islanders comments to evolve into days of discussions on rivalries.
I am not the OP of a thread and it is not for me to say this is limited to USA rivalries. I keep mentioning Canadians vs Leafs.
Yet I would just say, if I am the executive of NBC Sports and I am offered to broadcast either: #1 Yankees vs Red Sox or #2 ANY NHL game...no matter who the NHL teams are....I'm gonna select the Yankees vs the Red Sox game.
Lol, hey, it's fun to get some discussions around here. To be fair, I've tried to state in my opinion most of the times. Just giving my points of view.

Maybe we need to define rivalry a bit more. If I'm offered patroits/49ers or yankees/Sox, I'm taking patriots/niners, but that doesn't make it a rivalry. Admittedly, my dislike for baseball isn't helping here either.

Lilofan

Lol, hey, it's fun to get some discussions around here. To be fair, I've tried to state in my opinion most of the times. Just giving my points of view.

Maybe we need to define rivalry a bit more. If I'm offered patroits/49ers or yankees/Sox, I'm taking patriots/niners, but that doesn't make it a rivalry. Admittedly, my dislike for baseball isn't helping here either.
If you want to talk dislike I was a young one watching on TV in 1980 when our college aged kids beat the mighty Russians in Lake Placid. USA,USA,USA!! That win shocked the entire world!

SteveBrickNJ

There is no right or wrong answer.
I like to think of RIVALRY games as having two cities in which the fans really are craving to beat each other.
An NFL example for decades has been Eagles vs Cowboys

Last edited:

LSLS

If you want to talk dislike I was a young one watching on TV in 1980 when our college aged kids beat the mighty Russians in Lake Placid. USA,USA,USA!! That win shocked the entire world!

I've actually got that game and the gold medal game on DVD. I will sometimes go back and watch it. It's sad how only 40 years later, people forget what an upset that was.

LSLS

There is no right or wrong answer.
I like to think of RIVALRY games as having two cities in which the fans really are craving to beat each other.
An NFL example for decades has been Eagles vs Cowboys

No I know, like I said, that's what makes this fun and interesting for a discussion board. I just asked the question because I never would have thought about tv ratings in how I rank the top rivalries.

And I'd agree with eagles/cowboys, though to be fair philly fans want to beat up EVERY other fan base.

Lilofan

No I know, like I said, that's what makes this fun and interesting for a discussion board. I just asked the question because I never would have thought about tv ratings in how I rank the top rivalries.

And I'd agree with eagles/cowboys, though to be fair philly fans want to beat up EVERY other fan base.
No fan base except Philly fans threw snowballs/iceballs at Santa Claus at an Eagles football game many years ago.

LSLS

man is tampa infuriating to watch. Cooper absolutely refuses to hols players accountable for their play and its just so tiresome.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I'm glad the Panthers are still doing well, but we're gonna have a real tough time in the playoffs if we can't figure out how to beat Carolina and Tampa consistently. The new acquisitions from the trade deadline seem to be doing well, so I hope that keeps up to fill in the void that Ekblad's absence and any other injuries create.

LSLS

I actually find eckblad very overrated. He's a very good dman, but I don't think he's at that elite level.

Playoffs will be interesting. I think florida can handle Carolina. I think they are in big trouble against tampa, and maybe even Nashville. While they've had some nice top line stories, I'm not sure rolling in with verhaghe and duclair is going to go well when tampa has kucherov and stamkos coming back. Especially if tampa is starting to turn it up for the playoffs which is what it's starting to look like.

LSLS

Looks like they've changed it and now the Canucks are playing through the 19th. And with 4 of those games against Calgary (who us battling for a playoff spot), they can't just forget the games. Maybe see if you can expand out games in the other divisions as well? There's a fine line between having some rest and becoming rusty.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There are the contingent of NY haters especially the Yankees. Those record number of championships and their history would turn some into haters. There is no bitter rivalry in the NHL like the MLB. Growing up a NY fan and I'm not even from NY, Boston does suck.

I would think a team from Canada vs a team from the USA would not see eye to eye ( ie Bruins / Canadians ) In regards to teams in some sports from Boston and NY there is a saying coming from someone who roots for NY teams and even not from the area - Boston sucks.

discussing Yankees and Red Sox in no way translates to the nhl.

New York hockey “rivalries” probably don’t make the top 10

Slpy3270

Rumor has it now that Turner Sports is getting the NHL number two package. That means Disney and WarnerMedia will have two sports leagues where they both have all the rights (local rights notwithstanding).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom