NHL 2023/24 Official Discussion Thread (Current Champions: Vegas Golden Knights)

Slpy3270

Big question now is who gets the second half. NBC the clear favorite but Fox, CBS and possibly even Amazon might amp up their efforts in the aftermath of this deal.

SteveBrickNJ

I am watching a great rivalry game between the NY Rangers and the NY Islanders. Maybe the only better rivalry is Canadians vs Maple Leafs.
20210409_193056_HDR.jpg

Lilofan

I PERSONALLY don't care about the Bruins. Yet I recognize that they are a historic franchise and your post makes sense.
Someone in my area is going to value NY vs NY above Boston vs Montreal.
Yet again, I see your point of view.
Rangers fans have fans from all over even from New Jersey. Islanders fans mainly are from Nassau and Suffolk counties. Also Real New Yorkers root for Yankees, Knicks, Giants and Rangers. Others root for Nets, Jets, Mets and Islanders. Just my 2 cents.

SteveBrickNJ

Rangers fans have fans from all over even from New Jersey. Islanders fans mainly are from Nassau and Suffolk counties. Also Real New Yorkers root for Yankees, Knicks, Giants and Rangers. Others root for Nets, Jets, Mets and Islanders. Just my 2 cents.
I know that. All that is true.
Yet I'll give you a new question:
You sit down in front of the tv.....you go through the channels and discover there are 2 games you can view.
Rangers vs Islanders
or
Canadians vs Bruins
...........................................which one are you gonna watch?

Lilofan

I know that. All that is true.
Yet I'll give you a new question:
You sit down in front of the tv.....you go through the channels and discover there are 2 games you can view.
Rangers vs Islanders
or
Canadians vs Bruins
...........................................which one are you gonna watch?
Rangers and Islanders without a doubt.

LSLS

Haha, I'm not even sure I have rangers/isles as a top 5 rivalry at this point. I'd have flyers/pens, habs/bruins, oilers/flames, and caps/pens well ahead of rangers/isles. At one point it was huge. But it's hasn't felt heated in a long time to me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

your “all over” is about a 50 mile radius 🤪

you got quite the New York centric world going there...

Lilofan

your “all over” is about a 50 mile radius 🤪

you got quite the New York centric world going there...
That's odd that when the Giants and Yankees for example play away games near and far away, there is always a good size, loud and proud contingency of fans in the crowd much more than a 50 mile radius. Fact = they have loyal fans from all over. New York centric world? There are New Yorkers in many neck of the woods are show it proudly when their team plays in the city and state they currently live in.

Last edited:

LSLS

That's odd that when the Giants and Yankees for example play away games near and far away, there is always a good size, loud and proud contingency of fans in the crowd much more than a 50 mile radius. Fact = they have loyal fans from all over. New York centric world? There are New Yorkers in many neck of the woods are show it proudly when their team plays in the city and state they currently live in.

As someone who had season tickets in Tampa, I can tell you from a hockey standpoint, the rangers absolutely did not have a huge crowd in the stadium when compared to others. Leafs, Blackhawks, habs, and wings have significantly more visitor fans at their games. In fact, I think I dealt with more Sabre fans than rangers.. You are correct on the Yankees, but that doesn't translate to the nhl.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

yeah...I’ve traveled for baseball, hockey and football...and the more “small town” teams - notably - my hometown of Pittsburgh - pack a bigger travel whallup.

adopted Red Sox fan and the stands are soaked with red in Baltimore, Tampa and Philadelphia much more than you’d ever realize.

New York is never as “big of a thing” in sports as they think they are. Most hate the Yankees...rightfully so.

As someone who had season tickets in Tampa, I can tell you from a hockey standpoint, the rangers absolutely did not have a huge crowd in the stadium when compared to others. Leafs, Blackhawks, habs, and wings have significantly more visitor fans at their games. In fact, I think I dealt with more Sabre fans than rangers.. You are correct on the Yankees, but that doesn't translate to the nhl.
When I lived in Florida...I went to quite a few lighting games...which was “penguins south” for the day...thanks to this guy:

1618176396474.jpeg

LSLS

yeah...I’ve traveled for baseball, hockey and football...and the more “small town” teams - notably - my hometown of Pittsburgh - pack a bigger travel whallup.

adopted Red Sox fan and the stands are soaked with red in Baltimore, Tampa and Philadelphia much more than you’d ever realize.

New York is never as “big of a thing” in sports as they think they are. Most hate the Yankees...rightfully so.

When I lived in Florida...I went to quite a few lighting games...which was “penguins south” for the day...thanks to this guy:

View attachment 547563
Look at you, aging yourself. I was there between him and Crosby, when the fair weather pen fans (all 95% of them) didn't even show up in Pitt.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Look at you, aging yourself. I was there between him and Crosby, when the fair weather pen fans (all 95% of them) didn't even show up in Pitt.

they’ve had 3 bad years really in 33...”spoiled” is the term.

and nobody will ever touch soixante six...ever. The most talented player ever. “Talent” being the key word. A magician...every minute.

I like the russian...the X factor that drives the engine in more modern times...FYI 🐧

Lilofan

There are the contingent of NY haters especially the Yankees. Those record number of championships and their history would turn some into haters. There is no bitter rivalry in the NHL like the MLB. Growing up a NY fan and I'm not even from NY, Boston does suck.

LSLS

There are the contingent of NY haters especially the Yankees. Those record number of championships and their history would turn some into haters. There is no bitter rivalry in the NHL like the MLB. Growing up a NY fan and I'm not even from NY, Boston does suck.
There are absolutely rivalries as big or bigger than yankees/red Sox in the nhl, they just don't revolve around new york.

Lilofan

There are absolutely rivalries as big or bigger than yankees/red Sox in the nhl, they just don't revolve around new york.
I would think a team from Canada vs a team from the USA would not see eye to eye ( ie Bruins / Canadians ) In regards to teams in some sports from Boston and NY there is a saying coming from someone who roots for NY teams and even not from the area - Boston sucks.

SteveBrickNJ

I've been sitting on the sidelines as these discussions go back and forth....but I have to step in and disagree with LSLS. Although the "sizzle" ( a term used by someone a few days ago) may vary in intensity from year to year...overall, in the United States nothing beats the Yankees vs the Red Sox. Historically intense. (Sure if you live in Montreal or Toronto then you'll see the Leafs vs the Canadians as being superior). Yet I'm with @Lilofan that in the good 'ol USA Yankees vs Red Sox rules!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom