NHL 2023/24 Official Discussion Thread (Current Champions: Vegas Golden Knights)

LSLS

I don't agree , for the battle of NY, it is Rangers/Islanders.
I mean, maybe, and if we are going to 30 years ago, then yes. But that hasn't been a big deal in decades. There are a lot of ranger fans that hate the flyers more than the isles. And many isles fans would call the pens their biggest at this point (well, maybe the leafs after tavares).

LSLS

I dont think you can look at NBC dropping out as anything other than a huge win for the league. Obviously I'm giddy cause I hate nbc and their joke of coverage. But take that away for a minute. I think you have to read this as the bidding war got too high for NBC. I guess you could maybe look at it as they just spent a ton on WWE so they bowed out, but I can't imagine they do that if the price is low.. So more league revenue.

Slpy3270

I dont think you can look at NBC dropping out as anything other than a huge win for the league. Obviously I'm giddy cause I hate nbc and their joke of coverage. But take that away for a minute. I think you have to read this as the bidding war got too high for NBC. I guess you could maybe look at it as they just spent a ton on WWE so they bowed out, but I can't imagine they do that if the price is low.. So more league revenue.
On the other hand, if Turner gets the other half of the package, the three Stanley Cup Finals as part of the deal will be out of reach to many unless Turner works out a deal with local broadcasters.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

not sorry to see Comcast go...they can’t seem to bring themselves to not make up stuff in their coverage

On the other hand, if Turner gets the other half of the package, the three Stanley Cup Finals as part of the deal will be out of reach to many unless Turner works out a deal with local broadcasters.

Is turner “exotic” now?

LSLS

I'm willing to bet a lot more people get tnt then nbcsn, which is where the majority of the games were stuck.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Considering that Turner is based in a city that literally dumped its hockey team a decade ago (no regrets, since the Thrashers sucked balls), it seems very weird.

but the superstations where more or less absorbed by conglomerates and put in bundled packages like 30 years ago...

I feel like I’m in a time warp

here’s where it will suck: if you have to buy app/stream services

but I’m out of market...so I have done that for two decades for hockey and baseball

Lilofan

Considering that Turner is based in a city that literally dumped its hockey team a decade ago (no regrets, since the Thrashers sucked balls), it seems very weird.
What does one expect with many transients ( if they even follow hockey ) moving to Atlanta to live and work and perhaps have loyalty to their former city NHL team. Atlanta having a NHL successful franchise is like Orlando having one ( not going to happen ).

Slpy3270

Since Comcast owns the Philadelphia Flyers I'm betting the end of the NBC rights mean they'll start exploring a sale of the team.

Slpy3270

This NY Post article detailing Turner's plans for NHL has an interesting tidbit on what happened with NBC:

NBC’s offer went down following ESPN’s monster deal for four of the next seven Stanley Cups and then when NBC’s NFL outlay doubled to nearly $2 billion a year to keep “Sunday Night Football.” That left NBC unmotivated to budge as the NHL stared at it. NBC’s final offer was for $100 million per, according to sources, which was half of what its current deal averaged per season. Fox had moderate interest, while CBS had none, according to sources. NBC is saving its money to keep the Premier League that drives its direct to consumer Peacock subscriptions.

So when the ESPN deal was struck and NBC had to pay up to keep NFL, they realized they had a choice between hockey and soccer for the future, and they chose the latter to ensure Paramount+ remains the butt of the joke.

LSLS

This NY Post article detailing Turner's plans for NHL has an interesting tidbit on what happened with NBC:

So when the ESPN deal was struck and NBC had to pay up to keep NFL, they realized they had a choice between hockey and soccer for the future, and they chose the latter to ensure Paramount+ remains the butt of the joke.

Yeah that makes no sense to me. Hockey brings in roughly 3 times the ratings the premiere league does from the numbers I saw. But hey, I'm happy, I though nbc was the worst partner the nhl could have ever had.

Slpy3270

Yeah that makes no sense to me. Hockey brings in roughly 3 times the ratings the premiere league does from the numbers I saw. But hey, I'm happy, I though nbc was the worst partner the nhl could have ever had.
NBC's thinking is probably that soccer has a global reach and a global rollout of Peacock with soccer could significantly boost the service.

LSLS

NBC's thinking is probably that soccer has a global reach and a global rollout of Peacock with soccer could significantly boost the service.
Maybe. Guess it depends on if they go global, and if they own the rights to the league overseas as well.

Slpy3270

Maybe. Guess it depends on if they go global, and if they own the rights to the league overseas as well.
Comcast owns Sky Sports in some major European soccer markets , like UK, Italy, Liechtenstein, Germany, Ireland, Luxembourg, Austria and Switzerland. I have to imagine rolling out Peacock in those areas is a priority.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom