NFL 2021 Offseason Discussion Thread

PUSH

Original Poster
Welcome to the NFL offseason! It's time for a new thread. This thread will take us from now, through the draft, and all the way until training camps and preseason (should those occur this year).

As always, please remember to be kind and respectful to others. This is not a thread to trash talk or troll in.

With that being said, have fun posting! 🏈

PUSH

Original Poster
The two big pieces of news to come out of today were...

1. Carson Wentz traded to the Colts for a 2021 3rd round pick and a conditional 2022 2nd round pick that could become a 1st round pick

2. NFL teams were notified that the minimum for the 2021-22 salary cap will be $180 million, which is up from the $175 million the league and NFLPA had originally agreed upon.

Dad 2 M & M

The two big pieces of news to come out of today were...

1. Carson Wentz traded to the Colts for a 2021 3rd round pick and a conditional 2022 2nd round pick that could become a 1st round pick

2. NFL teams were notified that the minimum for the 2021-22 salary cap will be $180 million, which is up from the $175 million the league and NFLPA had originally agreed upon.
Reading the trade same as I do? I see Stafford was basically worth a 1st Round Draft Choice?

the rest was to absorb Goff’s contract?

Dad 2 M & M

Craziest rumor I've heard so far is a three team between Atlanta, Miami, and Houston.....and it makes no sense!

Atlanta - 1st and 2nd and Matt Ryan and gets Tua
Miami - 1st this year and next, Tua and gets Watson
Houston - Receives all the Picks and Matt Ryan? Three #1, a #2 and Matt Ryan? Do they have to pay any of Ryan's salary? And who would they draft with the #3, and #4 overall? Surely they would trade back one of them for multiple picks....

Local Sports Talk kook in Columbia Sc had that one....

Slpy3270

NFL denying it and ESPN remaining silent yet the reports still being up tells you everything you need to know. Next week will be interesting.

PUSH

Original Poster
The Cowboys have signed Dak Prescott to a 4-year extension worth $160 million, with $126 million guaranteed.

Dad 2 M & M

The Cowboys have signed Dak Prescott to a 4-year extension worth $160 million, with $126 million guaranteed.
Wow

Using the same template that has so many other teams cap strapped....see the list of the Top Ten QB salaries.....littered with QBs that have just been traded, have asked to be traded, and others who are unhappy with their team’s inability to surround them with talent

PUSH

Original Poster
This time of year is always fun with the Fan GMs all about, saying who should be cut and signed.

For months, many Packers fans have been hollering to cut Preston Smith. Instead, Russ Ball (the salary cap guru in the front office) restructured his contract to save the same amount of money as they would have had they cut him. And they do so while also getting his services for the upcoming season and no dead cap space. The Packers have been extremely fortunate to have Russ Ball. He has worked some cap wonders over the years. Just goes to show, fans have no idea how anything works in the NFL. Myself included.

PUSH

Original Poster
Aaron Jones has resigned with the Packers on a 4 year, $48 million contract with $13 million in signing bonus. His agent said they think they could have gotten more on the open market, but Jones wanted to stay in Green Bay.

Drew Brees has also announced his retirement. 15 years to the date he signed with New Orleans.

SteveBrickNJ

Aaron Jones has resigned with the Packers on a 4 year, $48 million contract with $13 million in signing bonus. His agent said they think they could have gotten more on the open market, but Jones wanted to stay in Green Bay.

Drew Brees has also announced his retirement. 15 years to the date he signed with New Orleans.
I like how Drew Brees said:
"I am retiring from playing football but I'm not retiring from New Orleans".

Slpy3270

NFL media rights deals have been finalized. All run through eleven (!!!) years and are collectively worth over $100 billion (!!!!).

As expected, Fox will bow out of TNF. Prime Video will be the exclusive home of that package.

ESPN's deal, though, is perhaps the biggest of them all.

And it could get bigger if ESPN+ nabs Sunday Ticket once that's up for grabs.

Last edited:

PUSH

Original Poster
The NFL Draft starts tomorrow! I'm pumped! I love the draft. I know almost nothing about the players, but I still enjoy every second of it.

Slpy3270

Fox will opt out of its contracted fourth year of its Thursday Night Football contract. That means Prime Video's contract begins in the 2022-23 season, rather than the 2023-24 season.

In case you need proof the networks see TNF as poison....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom