NFL 2019-20 Discussion Thread

PUSH

Original Poster
It's that time of year again with preseason games starting up, so it's time for a new thread dedicated to the new NFL season. This thread is the go-to thread for all NFL topics and will take us through the preseason, regular season, and all the way through the Super Bowl. So sit back, relax, and try not to have too lofty of expectations for your team!

Football is back! 😄

PUSH

Original Poster
The Browns are trading RB Duke Johnson to the Texans for a conditional 2020 fourth round draft pick. According to a source, it would turn into a 3rd round pick if Johnson is active for 10 or more games.

PUSH

Original Poster
Looks like the Raiders could potentially lose Antonio Brown
I just came to post that same thing. He is such a negative influence on a team. I don't care how talented he is. There always has to be drama with him.

PUSH

Original Poster
Speaking of money, Dak Prescott has turned down a contract extension offer worth $30 million per year. Instead he is asking for $40 million per year, which would make him the highest paid player in the league by $5 million.

Now let's see here. Dak likely falls in the 10-15 range in terms of best QBs in the league. I know that the NFL had just become a "whichever starting QB is due for an extension will get the largest contract in NFL history", but Dak getting that treatment is a little absurd. I know the cap continues to rise, but wow.

PUSH

Original Poster
Speaking of money, Dak Prescott has turned down a contract extension offer worth $30 million per year. Instead he is asking for $40 million per year, which would make him the highest paid player in the league by $5 million.

Now let's see here. Dak likely falls in the 10-15 range in terms of best QBs in the league. I know that the NFL had just become a "whichever starting QB is due for an extension will get the largest contract in NFL history", but Dak getting that treatment is a little absurd. I know the cap continues to rise, but wow.
Actually I just looked at the teams and their QBs, and Dak actually falls at #18 for me. I forgot how many good QBs there are in the league!

OneofThree

Actually I just looked at the teams and their QBs, and Dak actually falls at #18 for me. I forgot how many good QBs there are in the league!

I don't think Prescott is overvaluing himself; he doesn't seem like that type of guy. More likely, his agent is trying to convince him that "40 is the new 20" -in millions of dollars that is. The QB market has gone insane. If I'm an owner, I'm squashing that real quick.

Club Cooloholic

Money and fame can change a person. Brown is no exception to the rule.
The ability to get paid and still strive to compete at the highest level and even improve is what keeps certain players from being GOATS and others from being just really really good. It's that way in all sports, what separates a Kobe Bryant from a Carmelo Anthony. You think Jerry Rice would have pulled these antics?

PUSH

Original Poster
Josh McCown has come out of retirement to sign with the Eagles to back up Carson Wentz.

PUSH

Original Poster
Raiders GM Mike Mayock says it's time for Antonio Brown to be "all-in or all-out" with the helmet situation. Brown returned to Raiders camp today, but his agent said they have no exhausted all options with the helmet as Mayock has claimed. The agent said they are still trying to come up with a solution that works for everyone.

How about Brown follows the league rules? That sounds like a solution. I am so glad he is not on the Packers.

PUSH

Original Poster
I agree; Packers have enough of their own drama with King Aaron. 😁
"Drama". I'd much rather have the fabricated "problem" of Rodgers and LaFleur not getting along than something like Brown's helmet or Zeke's contract or Deflategate. At least the "drama" with Rodgers is coming from outside media looking for clicks and not people within the organization publicly making a scene or violating NFL rules. I think the fact that nobody from the Packers organization has publicly said anything negative about anyone else is very telling from a truth standpoint.

Paper straw fan

Rodgers has been a bit much himself. I mean people play along because he’s the franchise QB, but he’s shown some serious Uber- Diva behavior himself. It just seems instead of coming out and saying what’s bugging him, he does this passive aggressive thing. The Packers organization will do what they can to downplay it of course, as teams always prefer to deal with things in-house (until they cut a guy, then there’s always a ‘leak’ about how so and so didn’t play hurt)

He’s made me a ton of money in fantasy in my life though, so I’ll still pull for him a bit.

PUSH

Original Poster
Rodgers has been a bit much himself. I mean people play along because he’s the franchise QB, but he’s shown some serious Uber- Diva behavior himself. It just seems instead of coming out and saying what’s bugging him, he does this passive aggressive thing. The Packers organization will do what they can to downplay it of course, as teams always prefer to deal with things in-house (until they cut a guy, then there’s always a ‘leak’ about how so and so didn’t play hurt)

He’s made me a ton of money in fantasy in my life though, so I’ll still pull for him a bit.
If you watch any press conference with him, he very clearly states what is bugging him. There's nothing passive aggressive about it. And that's not a bad thing to do. He is a very articulate speaker and has the ability to convey exactly what is on his mind. He has the conversations with his coaches to address his concerns, but he is honest with the media. It's not a locker room problem, but national media turns it into one. If you read any articles by the actual Packers media who are the ones there interviewing him, hearing the entirety of what he's saying, they report what he actually says.

For example, he had a post-practice media session at his locker after joint practices with the Texans. He voiced that he was glad the practices were over, giving the reasons that they ran a very vanilla offense for two days after they were doing so many fun things in the new offense that Matt LaFleur brought. National media reported it as Rodgers taking a stab at LaFleur when he did not say anything about LaFleur. There was no mention of the reasons why Rodgers did not like the joint practices. He even spoke later in the media session of how much he loves what LaFleur has brought the the offense and scheme. There was no mention of that, either.

I'm not saying Rodgers is the perfect guy. I know there are flaws, and he could word some things in a better way at times. However, many of his comments over the course of the offseason and into last season were taken out of context and blown up to much more than they actually were. I also find it interesting that stories broke out this year about how terrible of a leader Rodgers is and how toxic he has been his entire career. But none of these things surfaced until the Packers were losing enough to justify a coaching change. That leads me to skepticism.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom