NFL 2018 Discussion Thread

OneofThree

It is official/confirmed. Eagles at home with Carson Wentz at QB. The place will be pumped up.

My best guess is that while he'll almost certainly be a significant upgrade from Foles, I wouldn't necessarily expect him to immediately return to last year's form. Historically, it takes players with these sorts of injuries an entire season to regain their pre-injury form. Deshaun Watson is a perfect example, IMO.

SteveBrickNJ

My best guess is that while he'll almost certainly be a significant upgrade from Foles, I wouldn't necessarily expect him to immediately return to last year's form. Historically, it takes players with these sorts of injuries an entire season to regain their pre-injury form. Deshaun Watson is a perfect example, IMO.
That makes sense.....yet I've seen him on the Philly news and he looks great! We shall see.
My best guess is that while he'll almost certainly be a significant upgrade from Foles, I wouldn't necessarily expect him to immediately return to last year's form. Historically, it takes players with these sorts of injuries an entire season to regain their pre-injury form. Deshaun Watson is a perfect example, IMO.[/QU

SteveBrickNJ

I am surprised in a good way that I can watch the Eagles Colts game on my phone. My Yahoo Sports app is streaming the game 😀:cool:

Last edited:

PUSH

Original Poster
The Packers played a very sloppy game, but Clay Matthews makes a perfect textbook sack and gets flagged for roughing the passer again.

Also, remember how his hit last week was going to be put on film to use at teaching tape? Well, it was never put on the teaching tape. And the fact that he wasn't fined shows how the refs blew it and the NFL just didn't want to admit their mistake. Then in the GB/WAS game, the Redskins D-lineman picks up Rodgers and drives him to the ground. Guess what? No penalty. Again, I'm not big on calling out refs or the league, but the league has messed this one up big time.

Dad 2 M & M

Falcons Offense can't carry them through the rash of defensive injuries.....3 starters out today, and another might be done on a non-contact play......

13*Minute*Wait

The Packers played a very sloppy game, but Clay Matthews makes a perfect textbook sack and gets flagged for roughing the passer again.

Also, remember how his hit last week was going to be put on film to use at teaching tape? Well, it was never put on the teaching tape. And the fact that he wasn't fined shows how the refs blew it and the NFL just didn't want to admit their mistake. Then in the GB/WAS game, the Redskins D-lineman picks up Rodgers and drives him to the ground. Guess what? No penalty. Again, I'm not big on calling out refs or the league, but the league has messed this one up big time.
I think they've gone overboard with the personal foul calls. I didn't see anything wrong with either of Matthews hits on the QB. Looked like textbook tackles to me.

OneofThree

I have not been able to watch any Patriots games this season. Why are they struggling and 1 win and 2 losses?

It's been a long time since the defense was good enough to win games. Typically, they really don't have to be that good when the offense has been reliable to outscore just about anyone. Cooks is gone, so no other reall outside threat at WR. Edelman is suspended for 4 games, so there's no real slot receiver euther. That leaves double or triple coverage on Gronkowski. This means that the 2nd and 3rd WR's have to beat their coverage. They haven't, because they can't. Their production (the Hogan's and Dorsett's of the squad) typically comes when the defense is geared to stop the legitimate receiving threats. They should be better when Edelman returns and if Josh Gordon can learn enough of the offense to produce.

Last edited:

PUSH

Original Poster
I think they've gone overboard with the personal foul calls. I didn't see anything wrong with either of Matthews hits on the QB. Looked like textbook tackles to me.
They need to do something about this. The wording in the rule prohibits unnecessary body weight on the QB. However, they seem to forget that word when actually enforcing the rule. Both of Clay's sacks were necessary, otherwise the QB is roaming free. And he didn't even put his full body weight on the QB in either case.

PUSH

Original Poster
Dolphins pass rusher William Hayes has now torn his ACL while trying to avoid a roughing the passer call by not putting all his weight on the QB. But that doesn't matter because he's not a QB.

SteveBrickNJ

It's been a long time since the defense was good enough to win games. Typically, they really don't have to be that good when the offense has been reliable to outscore just about anyone. Cooks is gone, so no other reall outside threat at WR. Edelman is suspended for 4 games, so there's no real slot receiver euther. That leaves double or triple coverage on Gronkowski. This means that the 2nd and 3rd WR's have to beat their coverage. They haven't, because they can't. Their production (the Hogan's and Dorsett's of the squad) typically comes when the defense is geared to stop the legitimate receiving threats. They should be better when Edelman returns and if Josh Gordon can learn enough of the offense to produce.
I appreciate your detailed and seemingly on target analysis. Nice job! ;)

PUSH

Original Poster
Packers force a shut out for the first time since they played the Jets in 2010. Our defense finally played a full game; I just hope it continues against better offenses. Our offense played well in the first half, but fell off in the 2nd half. Possibly because we were ahead? Regardless, I still feel like the Packers have to step it up a notch.

PUSH

Original Poster
Seahawks safety Earl Thomas has suffered a leg fracture. I guess he's not going to be traded.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom