NFL 2017 Offseason Discussion Thread

PUSH

Original Poster
Since the 2016 season is over, I decided it's time for another thread. This thread is for all-things NFL during the 2017 offseason! Scouting combine, free agency, the draft, mini-camps, training camps, and everything in between! Starting around the preseason I will create a new thread for the regular season, but until then this will be the place to talk about the NFL!

Enjoy!

PUSH

Original Poster
John Ross officially broke the record for the fastest 40-yard dash time at the Scouting Combine. He surpassed Chris Johnson's 4.24 seconds with a 4.22 second run. Ross is a WR out of Washington.

PUSH

Original Poster
Big news on Day 1 of the new league year.

- Brock Osweiler traded from HOU to CLE for a 2nd round pick.
- CHI releases Jay Cutler
- DAL reportedly now trying to trade Romo
- Alshon Jeffery to PHI on a 1-year $14 million contract
- DeSean Jackson to TB
- Micah Hyde to BUF
- Kevin Zeitler to CLE
- AJ Bouye to JAC
- Russell Okung to SD
- GB resigns Nick Perry
- MIA resigns Reshad Jones
- Calais Campbel to JAC
- Stephon Gilmore to NE
- Riley Reiff to MIN

EDIT-- Correction. The Browns received the 2nd round pick in exchange of a couple other draft picks between the teams. Osweiler could still be released or traded from the Browns.

21stamps

Well, my team is going to suck this year.
Horribly.
I'm so sick about it. Our entire offensive line- non existent.

At least I have the NCAA...

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
There's rumors going around Cutler may go to the Jets and if Denver has use for Romo, they too were going to trade Trevor Siemian to the Jets.

Pixie VaVoom

Well, my team is going to suck this year.
Horribly.
I'm so sick about it. Our entire offensive line- non existent.

At least I have the NCAA...

OK - I am going to ask a totally GIRL question...which is your TEAM ??

Also - Waaahhhh !! This lil cheesehead LIKED Micah Hyde on GB!!

PUSH

Original Poster
OK - I am going to ask a totally GIRL question...which is your TEAM ??

Also - Waaahhhh !! This lil cheesehead LIKED Micah Hyde on GB!!
Sad to see Micah go. Versatile player, and he's a class act. But I can see why they let him walk. He's valuable, but even in my eyes that price was too high for Green Bay to pursue.

rael ramone

I recall years ago when Buddy Ryan got his first NFL head coaching job for the Eagles after being the DC for the Bears. He inherited a 1000 yard rusher in Earnest Jackson.

He cut him.

When asked why didn't you trade him if you didn't want him, he said that he'd trade him for a 6 pack if he could, and it wouldn't even have to be cold....

In a way, the Texans traded away Osweiler away to the Browns for a warm six pack...

And it was the right decision. (For both teams). I'm guessing that the NFL will be making a rule change to prevent trades like these from happening in the future...

PUSH

Original Poster
I recall years ago when Buddy Ryan got his first NFL head coaching job for the Eagles after being the DC for the Bears. He inherited a 1000 yard rusher in Earnest Jackson.

He cut him.

When asked why didn't you trade him if you didn't want him, he said that he'd trade him for a 6 pack if he could, and it wouldn't even have to be cold....

In a way, the Texans traded away Osweiler away to the Browns for a warm six pack...

And it was the right decision. (For both teams). I'm guessing that the NFL will be making a rule change to prevent trades like these from happening in the future...
I don't know how they really could prevent trades like this. You can't just have the commissioner come in and say, "Sorry, I'm stopping this because you're just trying to get out of a contract." IMO if both teams are willing, go for it. The Browns won out in this case, IMO. Not only did Houston waste a lot of money, they also lost a high draft pick. The Browns have tons of cap space to use, and they got a 2nd round pick. Plus, they don't really have to keep him.

PUSH

Original Poster
The Packers have signed TE Martellus Bennett. Reports say contract talks broke down between the Packers and Jared Cook, which leads me to wonder if that's why they went for Bennett instead.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I don't know how they really could prevent trades like this. You can't just have the commissioner come in and say, "Sorry, I'm stopping this because you're just trying to get out of a contract." IMO if both teams are willing, go for it. The Browns won out in this case, IMO. Not only did Houston waste a lot of money, they also lost a high draft pick. The Browns have tons of cap space to use, and they got a 2nd round pick. Plus, they don't really have to keep him.

There actually is a rule in place that prevents teams from doing just that. Found this on ESPN:

"The NFL doesn't want teams purchasing assets in trades. In a worst-case scenario, it would spur free-spending owners to buy up players, draft picks and cap space without giving anything but money in return. That approach would counter the league's revenue-sharing and equalizing conceit. The policy states: "Any trade of a draft choice or draft choices, or of player contract rights or negotiation rights, for any amount of money, is conduct detrimental to the league."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom