News Flash: Wdw Isn't Perfect

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
That's right folks. I'll say it. As a CM, stockholder, regular guest, and as a person entitled to my own opinion, I'll say it:

DISNEY ISN'T PERFECT.

In fact it's far from it.

Here's my $1, since $0.02 won't hold me down.

I miss the Disney of old- PERIOD, END OF STORY.

Before I get accused of living in the past, read what I have to say:

I don't miss a lot of the older retired attractions. A lot of times I'm actually glad they got rid of some of them (sorry, but the Keelboats SUCKED, IMO). What I do not like is the current trent of the Mike Eisney Company, which is to shut down non-profit generating departments of the company, and either board the up, or replace them with things that are more cost-effective/profit generating.

When I first heard that Epcot would be getting characters back, I was excited- not because I would get to see the Beast in france, but rather, MERCHANDISE LOCATIONS WILL BE CLOSED, TO MAKE SPACE FOR INDOOR LOCATIONS.

I'd rather them take $1 less from me, than $100 more.

Also, what else. Disney managements REFUSAL TO COOPERATE WITH POLICE, as well as COMMON HIRING METHODS (for example, background checks and drug tests, are seldom, IF EVER, performed). Why do you think the number of quality CM's has gone down.

It could also be the pay. Most WDW CM's can work 40 hour workweeks, AND STILL QUALIFY FOR GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE. Maybe they're also having trouble finding quality CM's.

Also, it could be the fact that the imagination has been taken out of imagineering. I know imagineers THAT ARE EMBARRASSED TO WEAR THEIR DINORAMA TEAM SHIRTS. That's pretty sad when one is embarrassed to wear a $90 custom made jacket.

I know I could say more, but why should I?

The more I write, the more it leaves people to attack my views.

Well guess what?

I LOVE DISNEY, AND THAT WILL NEVER CHANGED. BUT I HATE EISNEY.

DOWN WITH THE E, ON WITH THE D!

Sansaarai

Account Suspended
I totally agree with you "Offical Rob"!

There just was a post about their website having a mistake.

People hold Disney to an unatainable level of quality. This is what I call Disney selfishness.

Main Street USA

Tiggerman, maybe I haven't been around long enough to see your positive side which someone here told me you had, but man, if you think there are soooooo many things wrong with Disney then why are you still a part of their company? If you don't like the direction they are going, then why not leave, instead of constantly complaining about a place that will continue to be great for a VERY long time.

I can assure you, the people that are running things know quite a bit more about how things should be done than anyone on this site. That includes you, me, and everyone else that I've seen post on these boards.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but for those who are posting and asking questions about employment and things like that, they are exited about possibly working at Disney and you come back with a negative response nearly every time.

NowInc

Even tho I am a full Eisner supporter (mostly because I am not a CM)...i DO Agree with a lot of what you said...

I personally think they could handle a LOT of the "buisness" ends of the company a lot better...and unfortunatly I dont see them changing those ways any time soon...

As for imagineering....there was a time when I wanted nothing more than to be an Imagineer...that dream died a long time ago. The lack of job security...and lack of support from the company totally killed it...

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Originally posted by Main Street USA
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but for those who are posting and asking questions about employment and things like that, they are exited about possibly working at Disney and you come back with a negative response nearly every time.

alright, let me defend my view.

Disney is a GREAT company to work for... provided you work in the right department.

I have been on both sides at Disney, treated well, and treated like dirt (which is the phase I'm in now)

I don't recall ever giving a negative response to employment queries though. The only thing I've told SOME people, is try to get a job with a different firm, rather than Disney, depending on their job interest.

I will continue being critical of Disney for one reason. I LOVE DISNEY. I grew up on it, going to the parks (hell, I'm an "official citizen of main street" 3 times over) I'm like a parent who is mad that their child is not fulfilling their potential, I just also happen to have the courage, as a CM, to speak my mind, and not worry about the repercussions on my job, because of my post.

Most CM's (and most guests for that matter) are SOOOO COMPLACENT, that Disney could charge them $5.00 for a piece of lawn mulch that looks like Mickey, and THEY WOULD PAY IT. These are the same people who THINK THAT MAGIC CARPETS OF ALADDIN IS A GROUNDBREAKING RIDE. The same ones who'll take whatever Disney is giving them (no matter how little is gradually becomes) and fork over more and more year by year fur diminishing standards.

PEOPLE, IF YOU REFUSE TO ACCEPT LOWER QUALITY, DISNEY WILL ONCE AGAIN RAISE ITS STANDARDS.

Hell, I remember when my friend and his family was nearly kicked out of MK FOR SPITTING ON THE GROUND.

Nowadays, I've been in the Space Mountain queue, WITH A URINE AND FECES SMELL. I would expect this smell in a nursing home, BUT NOT A THEME PARK ATTRACTION.

That is another $1 of my rambling.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by mktiggerman

It could also be the pay. Most WDW CM's can work 40 hour workweeks, AND STILL QUALIFY FOR GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE. Maybe they're also having trouble finding quality CM's.

Thats what makes me angry the most!
Geeze...for what they charge to get in the gate...to what they charge for a night on Property resort..to a bottle of water or pop...you think they could pay these guys a living wage...its sad when the folks at Burger King and the fry cooker at McDonalds are making more than some really great CM's out there.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
but, before this becomes a negative thread (too late i'm sure), I will say a FEW of the good things done by the Mike Eisney Company:

Disney Voluntears (CM's volunteer to assist non-profit charities all over the US)

Give Kids the World (provides terminally ill children whose wish is to go to Orlando, a free vacation. WDW is a MAJOR SUPPORTER. After all, which world do you think they're giving?)

The Disney Hand (Disney fund created after 9/11)

and last but not least.. the millions donated by Disney to united way, and other charities, as well as the community support in Central Fl and SoCal.

see.. i'm not ALL negativity.

lamarvenoy

you are not alone tigger,
I am a longtime disney fan and i am a Eisner supporter-to a degree. Wells and Eisner brought the disney of Yesteryear into the Buisness world of today. They turned a floundering valued park into one of the most powerful and richest companies the world has ever known. This fortune came at the expense of a lot of people (both homosexual and lower income employees especially). Alien encounter could be describing Eisner's gameplan..X's. The parks now seem to be impersonal and less imaginative. Like a giant commercial overplayed sellers market. vendor carts seem to stack up more and more selling the same trinkets and toys every 100 feet. and now they are even inventing new SUPER PROFITABLE markets like the concrete blocks around the SSL, monolithic carvings on the "tombstones" at Epcot and the biggest, most outrageous, most successful and profitmaking........the PINS:lookaroun PLEASE HEAR ME OUT GUYS I KNOW THIS IS PESOMISTIC,please chill though i'm not bashing anyone i fall for their traps too. I'm just saying the personal touch seems all but gone and everywhere i look i see overpriced junk crammed down my throat like the 51 cent penny smoosher and now the $1.25 quarter smoosher. less merchandise more personal, but thats just my opinion.

wdwmanager

Understanding the Frustration

As a cast Member, I can understand peoples frustations with the direction of the company. I may not agree or disagree with some of the recent decisions that the company has made, and without a doubt agree that CM's are not payed enough, especially with what we charge people to stay out our resorts, and to play in our parks. BUT.... a small something that most people dont know or realize it that it costs over $7 BILLION a year to run WDW (This number doesnt payroll. It covers general utilies, upkeep, and other various items). After hearing that, I would hate to see what the number would be with payroll included.
I AM NOT MAKING EXCUSES.....I would love to be payed more!!!!

:eek:

DMC-12

Re: Understanding the Frustration

Originally posted by wdwmanager
As a cast Member, I can understand peoples frustations with the direction of the company. I may not agree or disagree with some of the recent decisions that the company has made, and without a doubt agree that CM's are not payed enough, especially with what we charge people to stay out our resorts, and to play in our parks. BUT.... a small something that most people dont know or realize it that it costs over $7 BILLION a year to run WDW (This number doesnt payroll. It covers general utilies, upkeep, and other various items). After hearing that, I would hate to see what the number would be with payroll included.
I AM NOT MAKING EXCUSES.....I would love to be payed more!!!!

:eek:

wdwmanager,

as soon as I seen your name when you signed up I figured you would post here first. LOL..I am not bashing disney or you or your resort... I know the cost is very high to run a resort on the scale of WDW. I am just saying it would be nice to see the CM's making more is all. but ....what do i know...I dont have the WDW accounting books in front of me..I have no Idea how budgets at WDW are laid out....I was just venting a bit on the living wage thing.:)

DMC-12

Re: Re: Understanding the Frustration

doh... I hit the wrong button..I ment to edit the above post ...time for me to sleep can ya tell?

wdwmanager

I am not trying to justify the pay scale!!!! I would love to see CM's get paid more. I think they deserve it. How can you run a property like WDW, and like up to the "Disney standards" at $6.50 an hour; and why stay at Disney at $6.50 an hour, when you can go to SeaWorld or Universal an get $8.50 an hour or more.
I love Disney, always have. always will. Thats why I work here, but even at the management level, the pay isnt the best

Dawn S

As far as employment goes, WDW is highly praised for outstanding bonuses, but criticized for low pay. In my opinion, it would be the perfect job for someone who doesn't have excessive living expenses, but obviously, an hourly park worker is not going to be making cashola hand over fist. A lot of people are willing to take a little less pay for the position if they are really into the thought of being a CM.

As far as the park quality itself, I haven't seen a whole lot that's lacking, but I'm also not opposed to being realistic. Yes, I miss the Penny Arcade & hate the fact that every 5 paces takes you to the door of a $ vaccuum gift shop, but the "quality" of the parks themselves hasn't let me down yet. Some of the CMs could definitely use a bit more magic in their spirits (definitely never you, Rob :animwink: ), but you also have to remember that even CMs are human & may not be physically able to keep up that persona 24/7. Even I lose my spunk every once in a while & become (EGADS!) stoic or nonchalant! :D

Dawn S

Originally posted by Sansaarai
Well you dont have to buy merchandise. Just walk by it.

Well, of course! My only point is that they could put those areas to use in other, less material ways. The Penny Arcade was a prime example. There used to be a lot more on Main Street than gift shops. I love Disney merchandise & in my opinion, there can never be too many Disney shops, but when they're taking away appealing attractions or amusements simply to have yet ANOTHER window in which to display a giant Mickey Mouse doll, that kinda rubs me wrong.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Originally posted by wdwmanager
even at the management level, the pay isnt the best

why do you think I turned down every offer for a TSA that I get. I can make more being hourly

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Originally posted by s25843
We all Know that by now most CMs dont work for Disney for the money, just for the fun of the job

amen! But when it stops being fun, then I need to start looking for another job. Unfortunately, thanks to the WDW transfer policy, I'M STUCK! :zipit:

I want to be in Guest Relations, and leave entertainment and training behind. But as of now, it probably won't happen till summer.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
oh- BTW:

I didn't mean this thread to become a "I WANT A RAISE" thread, since I don't care about that. I'm fortunate to make a LOT more than most other CM's.

I mean this to be:

A- a thread to vent a little of my frustration out. Unfortunately, I mentioned the low pay as one of their problems (I remember when CM's were paid decently too, BTW), and being the fact that I'm a CM, most people who read this automaticall perceive this thread to be me ranting for a raise, WHICH I AM NOT!

and B- an attempt to spite all of those who think that WDW CAN DO NO WRONG (which they can! a simply background check would eliminate a LOT of the bad CM's out there. I know of CM's that supplement their income from the sale of illegal substances, and ographic materials. Thankfully all the ones that I know of work in backstage areas, but if you had to deal with them, you'd agree with me wholeheartedly.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by mktiggerman

PEOPLE, IF YOU REFUSE TO ACCEPT LOWER QUALITY, DISNEY WILL ONCE AGAIN RAISE ITS STANDARDS.

Hell, I remember when my friend and his family was nearly kicked out of MK FOR SPITTING ON THE GROUND.

Nowadays, I've been in the Space Mountain queue, WITH A URINE AND FECES SMELL. I would expect this smell in a nursing home, BUT NOT A THEME PARK ATTRACTION.

This is the kind of stuff that I really agree with. In my opinion, this is the kind of commitment Disney should still have, along with what you said about background checks on CMs before hiring. Even crappy companies here in Brazil are now doing stuff like that. The quality of the service provided, specially from CMs, is what sets Disney apart from others.

Now, unfortunately, bad payment is another thing entirely, and it goes right with more merchandise shops. It's incredibly frustrating to work your behind off and not be satisfied when the checks come in. I know what I'm talking about since I live in a 3rd world country. And it was a good thing you mentioned you were not out for a raise campaign, because the horrible truth is that Disney is a company, and usually companies care about money, not people. My girlfriend is an elementary school teacher, and her school is firing long-time teachers to hire new ones who are less experienced, and therefore can be paid a lot less. So they think it's better to have teachers who, on the majority, don't even know what they're doing than having those that they know are doing a good job, but feel they deserve to earn more.

Did I make any sense?? :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom