Newb Question-Polarizing Filters

Gig 'Em Mickey

Original Poster
Do y'all use these walking around the park in the daytime? I understand the principles of what they do and how they're used. I got one to play with, but haven't used it a whole lot. Wondering if I need to bother with it at all. I do like the reduced glare that I get with it, and I guess it could protect the lens some. Just curious if y'all use them or not.

afb28

Do y'all use these walking around the park in the daytime? I understand the principles of what they do and how they're used. I got one to play with, but haven't used it a whole lot. Wondering if I need to bother with it at all. I do like the reduced glare that I get with it, and I guess it could protect the lens some. Just curious if y'all use them or not.

I personally do not. Don't see much use for them and it's just one more piece of glass to reduce image quality.

Only piece of glass I would add is an ND filter if you want to take a long exposure in daylight scenarios.

NowInc

I don't use them. Some will say its an added layer of protection against lens damage, and they would not be wrong. I am just careful with my gear and only use an ND filter depending on the situation. The effects of a polarizer can be done in post.

JediMasterMatt

I don't use them. Some will say its an added layer of protection against lens damage, and they would not be wrong. I am just careful with my gear and only use an ND filter depending on the situation. The effects of a polarizer can be done in post.

I don't use polarizers either unless I'm forced to in order to remove glare. Beyond that you can handle everything in post, especially when you have dynamic range to spare or use multiple exposures.

Only use filters if you have to and you understand the advantages and disadvantages when you pull them out of your bag. Use ND filters to limit light and only use clear filters if you are knowingly going into bad conditions and want to sacrifice potential image quality for extra protection.

In my bag, I only bring ND filters and have one very, very specialized UV filter that I use when I want to take my Nikkor 14-24mm down into the wet zone for World of Color. The amount of oil and grease that comes out of Paradise Bay from that show is incredible.

If you want to protect your lenses (and equipment) get an insurance policy to protect them against loss or damage. Don't put extra glass in front of them (unless you absolutely have to).

thomas998

I use them, but prefer using the old style rather than the new circular polarizer. In my opinion it gives better reduction of glare though at a price that on some equipment you are forced to use manual rather than auto on the camera.

It is however a personal choice... just don't think that you really can get the same effect in post that you get from having one. I see some people making that claim and they are simply dead wrong. An example would be shooting someone behind a windshield, with the polarizer the windshield is pretty much gone along with the glare on it so I get a clear picture of the person behind it. IF you took a photo without the polarizer you would have bright glare and no way in the world of both eliminating it and still getting the person smiling behind the windshield. It just can't be done because the bright reflection of the sun on the glass has overblown the face behind it.

It is also very nice when shooting any highly reflective surface because you get the real deep color of whatever it is that is glossy.... the list of what it can do goes on and on, I would suggest you take it and try a few shot with it vs without it. Then decide for yourself. A good one weighs practically nothing so it isn't like you are lugging around a backpack or anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom