New Years Eve @ WDW

Beachmomma3

We are trying to decide if MK may be too crowded on New Years Eve for us or not. I would like to hear personal experiences. If anyone has hung out @ MK, DD, Resort Resorts (fireworks) or EP on NYE what is your opinion? Was it fun or just too crowded? Would Dec 30 NYE fireworks be enough to satisfy or is MZk a must do?

CAPTAIN HOOK

On our Xmas / New Year trip in 08 we decided to celebrate New Year in EPCOT, having enjoyed the NYE fireworks at MK the night before.
New Years Eve is insanely busy at WDW, but if you go knowing this and expecting long lines then it is THE best place to go to celebrate the arrival of the new year. Whichever park you choose just make sure that you arrive early in the morning to avoid the anticipated closures and that you have a dining reservation in place

Upvote 0

erasure fan1

My sister in-law went last year and said it was insanely crowded. From looking at her pictures I would have to agree, it was wall to wall people. To get a good spot to see the fireworks they basically did nothing all day but sit and hold their spot. The people they were with didn't even go to the parks on new years eve, they went to down town Disney and said it was a ghost town. My sister in-law said she was glad she did it once but would not do it again.

Upvote 0

Greg Eng

My family went to MK for New Years Eve 3 years ago. It was definitely a long day. We were in the park by 8:30 a.m. and did not leave until 1:00 a.m. The park reached capacity by 10:45 so they were no longer allowing people to enter. If you have dining reservations be sure that you are in the park otherwise you may be out of luck. I have never experienced anything like NYE at Disney and would definitely do it again. Although there's a lot of people, the memories are priceless. The 360 degree fireworks display at midnight is amazing. I planned our day so that we road around the park on the train for about 30-45 min in which we took advantage of resting our eyes as well as sitting in the Hall of the Presidents. We were able to secure a spot on Main st around 10:00 for the fireworks display. It is extremely crowded and just before midnight everyone is shoulder to shoulder from the start of Main St. up to the front of the Castle. If you've never done it, then I would say go for just so you can say you've done it once.

Upvote 0

JasonDeyoung

It is quite the thing to experience but in MY opinion once was enough. Well, tech three times but that's another story :) Id def suggest going at least once to WDW for NYE just be prepared for huge crowds and I mean long, big crowds.

Upvote 0

Jae99

We will be going to Epcot for NYE. We have breakfast booked at Captains Grille for 9:30 and will then walk over to Epcot and spend the rest of the day in the park. I have also booked a Fantasia themed buffet at the World Showplace that gives us a preferred viewing area for the fireworks.

Did Epcot reach Phase 4 closure last year. Should I worry about being able to get into the park if we don't get finished breakfast until 10:30 or so?

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
We will be going to Epcot for NYE. We have breakfast booked at Captains Grille for 9:30 and will then walk over to Epcot and spend the rest of the day in the park. I have also booked a Fantasia themed buffet at the World Showplace that gives us a preferred viewing area for the fireworks.

Did Epcot reach Phase 4 closure last year. Should I worry about being able to get into the park if we don't get finished breakfast until 10:30 or so?
No it didn't, you'll have no problems.

Upvote 0

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
On our Xmas / New Year trip in 08 we decided to celebrate New Year in EPCOT, having enjoyed the NYE fireworks at MK the night before.
New Years Eve is insanely busy at WDW, but if you go knowing this and expecting long lines then it is THE best place to go to celebrate the arrival of the new year. Whichever park you choose just make sure that you arrive early in the morning to avoid the anticipated closures and that you have a dining reservation in place

This is pretty similar to what we did for New Years 2010. Did MK on the 30th and then Epcot on the 31st. Crowds are very big, but you can still get some things done. Mid-afternoon we went to Rose and Crown and hung out there for the majority of the afternoon with occasional ventures out to use an FP (now, that would be a reserved FP+).

Highly recommend it. Our daughter was only 6 and still speaks about those two nights on a regular basis. The NYE fireworks tag at Epcot is one of her favorite youth memories.

Upvote 0

Disney Karen

It is such a great experience to go on NYE, but just make sure you are prepared to go in the morning & stay ALL day--otherwise the parks will most likely get filled to capacity! It is super crowded, but such a fun & special atmosphere. Have an amazing time!!

Upvote 0

Mizchief24

We are planning a trip from Dec 24-Jan 5. We are going to MK on Christmas day, & again on the 30th. We will be doing EPCOT on the 31st because I herd the fireworks were awesome.

Upvote 0

epcot2004

We went to EPCOT a few years ago on NYE. Would try it again but not the same way we did last time. We were concerned that the park would reach capacity so we arrived when the park opened intending to stay until midnight. Human gridlock in Canada, 45 minute waits for restrooms and rain sent us back to the resort around 10pm. They were actually funneling the crowd backstage under Test Track to alleviate the incredible amount of people. I don't think it ever phase closed that day so we would get there much later in the day and take our chances. To this day we regret not seeing the fireworks at midnight but thinking back to the events of that night I think we were better off leaving than staying. If EPCOT was that bad I cannot imagine how crowded MK was. Hopefully it works out better for you.

Upvote 0

WhatJaneSays

MK on NYE is … well it’s something to behold. It’s one of those things that cannot be explained only experienced.

I would never tell someone not to go because it is an AMAZING thing to do. However you will be miserable from the time you arrive until the moment the fireworks start. If anyone wants to do it I’d recommend being in the park no later than 11 AM; that’s when the phase closures tend to become critical. In years past their often is a closure lift later in the evening 7-10 PM-ish due to people giving up staying for the fireworks so sometimes folks are lucky enough to sneak in then. And of course you’re likely to be miserable once the fireworks end until you’re in bed for the night (or morning rather).

I’d never do it again, but I’ll never regret having done it. It’s Epcot on NYE from now on for me!

Upvote 0

aw14

We did Epcot for NYE 2 years ago. It was very crowded, too much for me personally but it was a great experience. We at lunch at rise and crown out in the water. I do believe that MK was even more crowded than Epcot.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom