New Years day traditional meal

DHH

Original Poster
My wife and I will be at Magic Kingdom on 01/01/23. Where can we find the traditional meal of black-eyed peas. turnip greens and everything else without having to leave the park and go looking around for such a meal.

nickys

Premium Member
All I can suggest is to check the menus. But we’re now under a month away, ADRs will be hard to come by.

For us, traditional NY dinner is steak.

Weather_Lady

[As a born-and-bred Yankee, I had to look this up, and learned something new today! I had no idea that there was such a thing as a "traditional New Year's meal" in some places: I'd always assumed that everybody just ate Christmas leftovers or hosted "fancy appetizer" gatherings, as we do.]

Having Googled vigorously, it appears that there aren't any TS restaurants that serve what you're looking for. However, from last month through December 30, EPCOT's Festival of the Holidays (American Holiday Table booth) is offering a Blackened Catfish w/Hoppin' John small plate: https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2022...k-at-the-2022-epcot-festival-of-the-holidays/

For future reference, touringplans has a menu search tool that can be helpful if you're looking for a particular item, keeping in mind of course that Disney restaurant menus can change frequently, and without warning, and this particular tool just covers the standard menus (not necessarily seasonal, temporary food festival kiosks).

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
My wife and I will be at Magic Kingdom on 01/01/23. Where can we find the traditional meal of blacked peas. turnip greens and everything else without having to leave the park and go looking around for such a meal.
What in the name of Colonel Sanders is this?

James J

In the Parks
No
My wife grew up in South Carolina before moving to the UK, and I've had to text her to see if she's ever heard of this meal. A resounding no is the answer.

Weather_Lady

What in the name of Colonel Sanders is this?
Here's some history on the dish: a savory meal of black-eyed peas, greens, vegetables, and rice (often with a protein such as bacon), which is traditionally eaten on New Years with the idea that it will bring good fortune in the coming year. It's specific to the coastal island region of South Carolina, and is believed to have its origins in the cuisine prepared by African slaves -- which probably explains why, if you're looking for the closest comparator at any Disney table service, you'll find it at Boma: Flavors of Africa, which serves a similar-sounding dish featuring black-eyed peas and greens with chakalaka (vegetable relish), over peanut rice.

Last edited:

Prince-1

My wife and I will be at Magic Kingdom on 01/01/23. Where can we find the traditional meal of blacked peas. turnip greens and everything else without having to leave the park and go looking around for such a meal.

You will not find this anywhere in the parks.

JohnD

I wasn't being rude, it sounds delicious. But it was presented in a way is if it's something everyone knows about.

For the OP, it's "traditional" to him and he didn't think of it any other way. It's also "traditional" to my family as well. The main ingredient is the black eyed peas. Not a fan of turnips or collard greens. You're also supposed to include hog jowl for luck also. I substitute ham cubes instead. Round out the meal with cornbread. I'll usually cook a slow cooker recipe on the morning of 1/1 so I can have the meal in the evening.

Here's one recipe (for more traditional don't include the tomatoes): https://www.themagicalslowcooker.com/new-years-day-black-eyed-peas/

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

I grew up in NJ and have known about these food traditions since I was a kid. I'm not sure if it's because my dad's love of cooking, the 8 months they lived in GA, my mom's seasonal food magazines, or what. Pickled herring was one more they had in our mix, which I think has some European origins. I loved the herring, could handle the black eyed peas, but always took a tiny serving of greens to keep the peace with my parents. While Homecomin' seems like the most likely one to have something seasonal like this, I can't find any evidence to show that they've ever offered such a seasonal menu. In light of that, you might find some kind of offering at Publix since a lot of local markets stock up for the holidays. I can't recall from my FL years if our Publix ever offered any of it, but I know I see it each year here in TX. If not, there may be some local Soul Food restaurants that might have a New Year's special for these traditions that may possibly also offer delivery.

JohnD

I grew up in NJ and have known about these food traditions since I was a kid. I'm not sure if it's because my dad's love of cooking, the 8 months they lived in GA, my mom's seasonal food magazines, or what. Pickled herring was one more they had in our mix, which I think has some European origins. I loved the herring, could handle the black eyed peas, but always took a tiny serving of greens to keep the peace with my parents. While Homecomin' seems like the most likely one to have something seasonal like this, I can't find any evidence to show that they've ever offered such a seasonal menu. In light of that, you might find some kind of offering at Publix since a lot of local markets stock up for the holidays. I can't recall from my FL years if our Publix ever offered any of it, but I know I see it each year here in TX. If not, there may be some local Soul Food restaurants that might have a New Year's special for these traditions that may possibly also offer delivery.
Trust me: In Publix, you'll find black eyed peas out front and possibly in the BOGO section. They might even have all the ingredients together in the aisle for do it yourself meals (usually near the deli). As for a hot meal, it's entirely possible they could offer it as ham (main course), black eyed peas (side), collard greens, and cornbread.

G&CsMom

I make this every year for New Years and several times during the year as well because it's SO GOOD!!!! I make hoppin' John and collard greens. The hoppin' John is for good luck and the greens are for money in the new year.

I grew up in SC and yes, it's a tradition especially if anyone in your family is a farmer or grew up in the low country.

I wonder if Homecomin' would serve this as a special for the new year?? Or Olivia's?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It's not traditional everywhere, in fact, my mothers side of the family from around the Savannah area (and yes farmers with corn, hogs, chickens, cattle, and dairy herds) does just black-eyed peas, but that's it and they've been in the area since the early 1740s. As it's not ubiquitous like Thanksgiving Turkey with stuffing and cranberry sauce, I wouldn't expect a theme park to have it any more than Lutefisk.

Last edited:

Prince-1

Trust me: In Publix, you'll find black eyed peas out front and possibly in the BOGO section. They might even have all the ingredients together in the aisle for do it yourself meals (usually near the deli). As for a hot meal, it's entirely possible they could offer it as ham (main course), black eyed peas (side), collard greens, and cornbread.

They usually do have most of those ingredients displayed together in the front of the store. At least by me the do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom