New videos from me

DigitalDisney

Original Poster
Over the next few weeks or so, I will finally be encoding my HUGE collection of WDW media. The goal is to digitize all of my 8mm, Hi-8, and VHS tapes so I can watch and edit them without worrying about losing quality.

The videos I have range from the mid-80s all the way to a couple years back, both at WDW and Universal Orlando, which includes a lot of rarities. For example (WDW only):
- Birthday Express! (the temporary MK train replacement)
- Original Tiki Room (and preshow, I believe)
- Previous version of Carousel of Progress
- Timekeeper show and preshow
- Cranium Command show and preshow
- Test Track preview video
- Listen To The Land (whole ride)
- Double-Decker buses in World Showcase
- Sorcery In The Sky
- Rocketeer footage from MGM
- Teenage Muntant Ninja Turtles show
- Muppets Live!
- Animation Tour preshow
- Wildlife Express
- AK Animal footage
- Pangani Forest / Maharajah walkthroughs
and much, much more...

It will take some time to get the videos encoded and prepared for internet deployment (i.e. #Disney-Central). Unlike the videos on my site, these will either be DIVX, SVCD, or MWV, unlike the crappy RealVideo files I have (all of those will be redone as well).

The first tape I am digitizing has the following:
- Spiderman On-Ride video
- Mad Tea Party exterior and on-ride video
- Enchanted Tiki Room - Under New Management (Preshow and full show)

I'll definately produce and release the Mad Tea Party and Tiki Room videos as soon as they are finished, but I might hold off on Spiderman because I have queue videos and the hilarious safety video on other tapes, and I want to make one big video for Spidey.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
WAYHEY!!! This sounds good!

To save you a bit of time (I can see you will up to your eyeballs transfering all this) I have just uploaded my Carousel of Progress Now is the Time version to WDWMagic, and its been on SirLamers server at Disney Central for a week or so. My Listen to the Land vid will be up later this week, with a few others, so if you put these to the back of the queue if you need to save time?

Of course though, its up to you - I`m not trying to dissuade you - the more the merrier!!! And I`d LOVE to see good vids of Timekeeper and >Cough< Spiderman. Nice one as we say in the UK!

nicholas

Awesome! Can't wait to see some of those!

There are two videos I can't find anywhere though. Does anyone know where I can find a video (or even audio) of the Trolley Show and a video of SADCT Parade? If you can help me find them, you get a free rep boost! How's that for incentive :p

DigitalDisney

Original Poster
Sounds like the Spiderman video will be a hit. I think I'll definately throw just the on-ride portion online as soon as I can, with a huge 20-30 min version as soon as I get the rest of the footage together.

I also have another IOA video you might be interested in......Dudley Doright's Ripsaw Falls (SPLIZZAM!). I'm not sure what the quality is like, and the camera probably isn't aligned very well (I can't look through the viewfinder when I have my water-ride setup), but I guarantee that it will be the first onride video of DDRF when it hit's the net.

Marni: Woah, I don't know how I missed your CoP video, since I'm online at #DC all the time. I'm still going to spend the time digitizing and organizing all of my videos in a methodical fashion, and I still may make a video for LTTL, CoP, and the original UOE just because our editing styles are different (I prefer continuous edits without mixing source music).

nicholas: Sorry, I don't have videos of any of those. In fact, I don't think I have any video of a single daytime parade.

WeirdOne

DigitalDisney,

I love you. I can't wait. You are the best. I hope to start taping my own IoA and Universal footage, but many times operators tell me to put my camera away. And that's not fair because many don't have "no taping" signs.

Can you tell me about your water ride setup? What about your regular setup? My videos turn out shaky and not very focused. How do you do it? - The WeirdOne :D

DigitalDisney

Original Poster
OK, the basic Spidey video is done. It is only pure, unedited ride footage, and nothing else.

I gotta say that VirtualDub is the shizz. Wow. Is there anything it can't do? After some trail and error, I successfully transformed my 320x200 recorded video into a detailed 640x480 video. I can't wait to try out some of the filters I found, such as the Anti-Flicker filter.

Now how do I upload to the #DC servers? Now that I have my system working well, I will be cranking out videos like it's nobody's business. :) I would put them on my own PC, but I don't have enough outgoing bandwidth to host these puppies.

WeirdOne: Ah, the tricks of the trade.
"No Video" - The secret to taping those "no video" rides and shows is to do it discreetly. I've successfully taped Alien Encounter because I hid my camera real well, and I covered all of the lights by either turning them off or putting electrical tape over them. This doesn't always work though. I have yet to successfully tape MiB or Cat In The Hat because it's difficult to hide a video camera (May have to use a cell phone video camera). Sometimes it just depends on who's running the ride at the time. I guess I was lucky on many of my taping efforts.

Regular setup - For just about all of my ride footage, I try to throw the camera into manual focus, so it doesn't go into auto-focus-hell in the dark areas of rides. (Apparantly I forgot to do this on my excellent Spidey footage, so dark sections of the first minute of footage go in and out of focus :( ). Ideally, you should know how to quickly go in and out of autofocus mode so you can do it on the fly. For example, most of TTA can be in autofocus mode, but sections like Space Mtn, Buzz, and the Epcot model may screw up your camera, so manual focus might be needed.

The trick is to practice shooting. If you want to learn, you'll only get better as you go along. Also, if you really want to tape stuff, don't be afraid to review your footage either at the hotel room that night, or even after the ride/show is done. If you do this, be sure to leave enough extra footage at the end so the tape counter doesn't reset. (If you go beyond the end of the footage, the time counter resets)

Water setup - For water rides, I purchased a UV lens for my camera (to protect the original lens), and wrapped a plastic bag around the camera, using a rubber band to seal the bag around the lens. The only problem with this method is that the sound will be muffled a bit, and you will probably hear the bag moving around. However, I've easily taped Kali River Rapids, Popeye and Bluto's Bilgerat Barges, Jurassic Park River Adventure, and Dudley Doright with this setup. Once again, the camera should probably be in manual focus here because if water gets on the UV lens, the camera may try to focus on it.

Whew. If you have any questions or want any advice about certain situations/rides, let me know.

RU42

DigitalDisney said:
Now how do I upload to the #DC servers? Now that I have my system working well, I will be cranking out videos like it's nobody's business. :) I would put them on my own PC, but I don't have enough outgoing bandwidth to host these puppies.

DD - I will PM you the info you will need.

RU

WeirdOne

DigitalDisney,

This question will show you exactly how NEW I am to this. What is manual focus and how does it work? I don't know my camera too well, so, I'm just plainly confused by that. - The WeirdOne :D

DigitalDisney

Original Poster
My Spiderman On-Ride only video will be on the distro in about 10 mins (1:40AM EST). Hopefully it will be on #DC soon...

A couple notes:
- The camera is pointed a little high at the start of the ride. I could not look through the viewfinder, so I did not find out about this until it was too late
- I forgot to disable auto-focus, so the camera has trouble focusing in a couple dark areas at the beginning of the ride. This is only during the transition areas, and the 3D scenes are crystal clear.
- There is no load or unload footage. It starts as soon as the ride starts, and it stops right before you unload.

That being said, this is the best Spiderman video I've seen online anywhere (I hope that doesn't sound too egotistical). The footage of the 3D portions is crystal clear, with no interference from the glasses or any passengers (this was taken from the front row). I think you all will like this video very much.

RU42

very cool video!

I have a question - what type of ride if Spiderman? I have never been to IOA. At times it sounds like a roller caoster and at times it looks like a simulator (Star Tours on steroids.)

RU

DigitalDisney

Original Poster
The closest thing I can compare it to is an EMV where the base can spin. The car rocks, tilts, shakes, and spins. It basically moves between small rooms with 3D projections and other effects, but it's all so well done and entertaining that you really don't notice. You really feel like you're in the middle of a 3D adventure with Spiderman and Doc Oc.

The ride travels on completely level ground. The effects will make it seem like you're flying in the sky or falling 20-stories, but you're always at the same altitude. There aren't any loops or anything crazy like that.

attisb

RU42 said:
very cool video!

I have a question - what type of ride if Spiderman? I have never been to IOA. At times it sounds like a roller caoster and at times it looks like a simulator (Star Tours on steroids.)

RU
Take the Indiana Jones Ride/Dinasour ride and add the ability for the vehicles to spin 360 in place and add 3d screens to the ride and you have a very rough look at what the ride is.

DigitalDisney

Original Poster
AttisB: I put it on the distro server. I'm not sure what happens from there. I assume other servers have to download it to their own servers at some point. Just a guess...

ljp

DigitalDisney said:
AttisB: I put it on the distro server. I'm not sure what happens from there. I assume other servers have to download it to their own servers at some point. Just a guess...

any idea when it's likely to appear on #dc then?
(I have no idea what a distro is BTW)

RU42

I have begun advertising the video on #DC so some of the servers should pick it up soon.

Distro is explained in the #Disney-Central topic in this forum (usually the 2nd post down from the top.)

RU

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom