New traffic light system coming to World Drive near the Magic Kingdom auto plaza

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
A light there is long overdue.
Indeed it is. I think now it is reaching a point where it is starting to impact the bus system. The busses frequently stack up there, and the only chance they have of crossing is if another WDW bus is leaving the auto plaza and basically stops in the middle of the road to let the other busses out.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Indeed it is. I think now it is reaching a point where it is starting to impact the bus system. The busses frequently stack up there, and the only chance they have of crossing is if another WDW bus is leaving the auto plaza and basically stops in the middle of the road to let the other busses out.
That is what we run into. PORS is our go to resort and that road is a short cut to it as well as a back way into DTD. All it takes is one or two buses to bring that intersection to a dead stop.

GymLeaderPhil

Seems like a short term fix that will back the auto plaza up. They really should be investing in a fly over ramp to keep things moving. In the meantime, they could simply:

-Open the connecting road before the auto plaza to bring north bound World Drive traffic to Vista Blvd.
-Use the STOL port for two way access to Vista Blvd.

Edit: And then keep the connecting road open to north bound Vista Blvd. by creating a longer exit only lane.

hpyhnt 1000

Seems like a short term fix that will back the auto plaza up. They really should be investing in a fly over ramp to keep things moving. In the meantime, they could simply:

-Open the connecting road before the auto plaza to bring north bound World Drive traffic to Vista Blvd.
-Use the STOL port for two way access to Vista Blvd.

Possibly, but I don't think the back up will be that terrible into the auto plaza. A traffic circle would probably have been the best option to keep traffic moving with minimal waits, but that would require a much greater degree of construction and redesign.

But I agree that this light is likely a temporary measure. The Magic Kingdom toll plaza/parking entrance is planned for a large overhaul if I remember correctly, with a completely new design to improve traffic flow all around.

wdw71fan

glad it's being done.. I was rear-ended there a couple of years ago... in my brand new car.. Talk about @#$(@#$ you off.

Monorail Lime

Surprised it has taken this long. The current configuration is terribly dangerous.
I've seen many bus drivers blow right through the stop sign if they think they see a window in the traffic out of the plaza. The current situation must be a huge liability for Disney.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Possibly, but I don't think the back up will be that terrible into the auto plaza. A traffic circle would probably have been the best option to keep traffic moving with minimal waits, but that would require a much greater degree of construction and redesign.

But I agree that this light is likely a temporary measure. The Magic Kingdom toll plaza/parking entrance is planned for a large overhaul if I remember correctly, with a completely new design to improve traffic flow all around.
No to mention people that actually know how to use a traffic circle. They have been installing them here in Jacksonville for the last few years. I go through 3 on a regular basis and the number of people that just vapor lock at the sight of them is staggering.

A flyover would be the best solution, but I am not sure if it is possible giving the tight quarters and the adjacent monorail track.

If you can't go over it because of the monorail track, then go under. Disney is good at underpasses, and there's not even water involved here.

hpyhnt 1000

No to mention people that actually know how to use a traffic circle. They have been installing them here in Jacksonville for the last few years. I go through 3 on a regular basis and the number of people that just vapor lock at the sight of them is staggering.

A flyover would be the best solution, but I am not sure if it is possible giving the tight quarters and the adjacent monorail track.

Very true about traffic circles and the alarming number of U.S. drivers having no clue how they work. Of course, I've always thought stop signs and traffic lights were pretty straightforward and many drivers seem to screw those up as well!

I'm not convinced an overpass (or underpass) is the best solution, either. It just seems to be an over engineered and expensive solution to what is, in essence, a junction of 2 one-way, one lane roads. I don't think the monorail beam is close enough to pose any major issues however.

mm121

anything is better than nothing, but this is what is really needed.

though any major change gets complicated since they can't just completely close the intersection for a year to redo it.

and as someone said they have to allow enough clearance for the monorail.
flyover.jpg

mm121

If you can't go over it because of the monorail track, then go under. Disney is good at underpasses, and there's not even water involved here.
in florida water is always involved and always a problem. so an underpass would be way more complicated and way more expensive than a flyover
Very true about traffic circles and the alarming number of U.S. drivers having no clue how they work. Of course, I've always thought stop signs and traffic lights were pretty straightforward and many drivers seem to screw those up as well!

I'm not convinced an overpass (or underpass) is the best solution, either. It just seems to be an over engineered and expensive solution to what is, in essence, a junction of 2 one-way, one lane roads. I don't think the monorail beam is close enough to pose any major issues however.

i do tend to agree with this, that an flyover is a way over engineered solution.

we aren't talking interstate speeds here, just traffic management/traffic control

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
anything is better than nothing, but this is what is really needed.

though any major change gets complicated since they can't just completely close the intersection for a year to redo it.

and as someone said they have to allow enough clearance for the monorail.
View attachment 93548
Max road grade is 12%. A more realistic grade is 6%-7%. The minimum recommended standard clearance for an overpass is 14' in an urban area. 17' is the preferred clearance.

If we go max grade minimum clearance and use a fairly normal 3' deep beam and roadway You will need at least 1700' of roadway where the flyover crosses the grade level road and another 1700' to get back to grade.

If we go with a more standard grade of 7% and the keep with the 14' clearance your are looking at 2400' on each side of the roadway or just under a mile long flyover.

Can you sketch up something using those numbers and see if it will fit?

GrumpyFan

A traffic light will help, but I've always thought that whole area was poorly engineered, and just a bit confusing. Seems like there could have been a better way to work all of the roads thru there. I wonder though, with the upcoming closure of the speedway, might there be more changes coming to the area in the near future?

in florida water is always involved and always a problem. so an underpass would be way more complicated and way more expensive than a flyover

As opposed to going under an already present body of water like there is down the road.

Regardless, a light will stop people from trying to kill each other getting across this road for now. I'm sure Disney already has the next step decided after that, if there is one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom