New Tomorrowland Rock Paint Job

G00fyDad

Lol, I think the rocks look nice but they don't belong in Tomorrowland

I've always thought the rocks look weird sitting outside the entrance to Tomorrowland. Of course I thought Tomorrowland was out of date for a very long time now. That's just my opinion and I understand people disagree with that. That's okay, but I just feel that there will never be a way to make Tomorrowland look futuristic for real. They should make Tomorrowland look more like a Tomorrowland of the fifties or sixties in my opinion. I like the idea of Steampunk but I don't think it would work too well. I just think it should be a lot of blues and whites and more in line with what you would have seen in the old World's Fair version of tomorrow.

Jones14

@marni1971 not to derail the thread too much, but were one of the occupants to be evicted (I assume Stitch or Monsters, Inc.), would they be immediately replaced? If so, would it be a gut and restart or an overlay of the existing infrastructure, and would it be an immediate replacement (a la Maelstrom)? Or would the building sit empty for the time being?

ScottKC

I almost blame it on Disneyland Paris. When Tomorrowland needed to be renovated into something new, they decided to take after Disneyland Paris's design of Discoveryland:

Ok. I agree. Tomorrowland has recovered a bit from it's copper and gold design. Space Mountain got back to it's white color, and most of the buildings have been repainted. It's not great, but it's better than 1998.

Oh ho ho! This could be the first step in redesigning Tomorrowland. A blue and white paint job in 2016 on the old copper and gold Autopia structure. Very futuristic. This I believe could be the new theme to this land in the future. We have hope!

I have a slight soft spot for Tomorrowland 98', but I'm glad they have been moving away little by little over the years now. The first reason is purely personal-I took my Wife to "New New Tomorrowland" the day after it opened on our first date, we got married 5 years later and have been married for 13 years now. At the time it was mildly successful... Tomorrowland 67 had become out of style/step with the public consciousness (mass audience mid-century modern appreciation was still about 6-7 years away). The "edible" landscaping and all the bronzes went over fairly well in a late 90's sort of way, all of the faux-finishes and fake copper patina were the rage in the 90's. I think they underestimated how powerful 50th anniversary nostalgia would be, and that was what started the push away from the steampunk overlay. Thankfully the appreciation for mid-century/googie/jetsons architecture and Disneyland nostalgia increased so that now the bones of the land look good in a quaint retro sort of way. And because the budget was slashed they weren't remuddled away like they were at Disney World (With it's clash between Flash Gordon and 2001 a Space Odyssey) so many of the changes were just paint. Little by little it's being restored in a retro-mid-century way. Once Star Wars moves out of there...they may have greater incentive to really tackle the land. Now if they could just get the soon to be removed Tokyo StarJets and restore that element it would be awesome!

I'm hoping the Peoplemover stays up there not because they just don't want to tear it down but because they hope/dream they can some how salvage/restore it someday. They did it to the subs(imagine if they had scrapped them and filled in the lagoon...by leaving it there mothballed they were able to restore it)...perhaps they hope with the Peoplemover, I realize its just the track, and the cars are long gone.

Wrangler-Rick

Just Horsing Around…
Premium Member
Marni just broke the news Stitch is leaving! And you are the second person in Disney fandom to know, me I made a podium place at three. ^_^

Well possibly. And not that I don't fully count on Disney to come up with a replacement even less fitting, but without the redeeming quality of being an actual fun character.
I heard from one of the bus drivers that it was going to become Squeak's Great Escape. :rolleyes:

ScottKC

As for DL TL ...if they could just get Tokyo's soon to be removed Star Jets and have Aughra retrieve her Orbitron we'd be on our way!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 not to derail the thread too much, but were one of the occupants to be evicted (I assume Stitch or Monsters, Inc.), would they be immediately replaced? If so, would it be a gut and restart or an overlay of the existing infrastructure, and would it be an immediate replacement (a la Maelstrom)? Or would the building sit empty for the time being?
There are plans for it not to stand empty.

KikoKea

I'm going to voice the apparently un-popular opinion that I like the rock paint job. I think it's pretty/slightly futuristic. The rocks always looked a little too Frontierland in Tomorrowland for my taste.
I was just writing a post along the same thoughts. I always wondered why there were desert-looking rocks in TL.

DisneyFans4Life

Thought the same thing for years...kinda looked like entering Radiator Springs instead of Tomorrowland. I suppose they both have cars, right?
I've always attributed it to a distant planet. It seems that Tomorrowland is heavily based on space travel, aliens, etc...so by walking into Tomorrowland and seeing the rocks it's as if you're entering a new planet or world. It makes sense in my head lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom