New to DSLR, What's a Good 2nd Lens for WDW?

blueboxdoctor

Original Poster
Hi everyone, I'm working with a blank slate here. I recently purchased a Nikon D3300 in February of this year and have been out and about using it since then (have noticed some improvement as I look back at my early photos, so that's nice). Anyway, I'm going to WDW this year in mid-December. Right now I just have the kit lens (18-55mm) that came with it. It has been serving me well enough, but it of course has limitations (but was nice of them to include it, making the first time DSLR purchasing process easier).

Now I want to get a new lens to bring on my trip. I figure it's best to determine what I want now and not wait and get my lens caught up in holiday shipping traffic. I want something that will be somewhat versatile, but if I were to go specific I'd be down for a decent wide angle lens (always like the distorted look they give, especially since I like doing scenic shots, and am hoping to get some nice building and street shots throughout the parks).

Inevitably, my other issue is I also want to get a lens that can do nice portraits since it's a family trip. Mainly, I want something that can give nice bokeh.

There are two lenses so far that I've found to be pretty nice:

AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens

Just based on a few hours of research, it seems the Nikkor 35mm may be the better option, but again, not sure. Looking at the threads on here, it's clear you guys know what you're doing, which is why I'm curious as to what your opinions and suggestions are.

Thanks for any help.

CAPTAIN HOOK

The 18-55 "kit" lens will see you through fine for most of your trip. You may want to look at something around 200mm - those pesky animals on the Kilimanjaro safari tend to be quite far away :cat:

Gomer

I was in almost the exactly same spot as you a year ago. Had a little spare money so I bought myself a refurbed D3200 with a kit lens to start trying it out.

After about 4 months of playing around with the kit lens I bought the Tokina 11-16mm with my upcoming WDW trip in mind. To me it was perfect. It was great for capturing the architecture and landscapes of WDW which is what I was most drawn to. I think I only put on my kit lens 3 or 4 times in the week I was at WDW. I was just having so much fun playing with the wide angle. I highly recommend it, although I'm sure those with more experience than myself will have more developed opinions (unintentional bad photography pun aside)

For my next trip I've purchased the Nikon 55-200 so I can play with zoom this time. Just got it delivered a few days ago, so I'm anxious to see how I do with that. I'm hoping I have as much fun with it as I did with the Wide Angle and have a whole trip of portraits and details. Or maybe I'll settle back into the landscapes and just stay there. But at only $300 it seemed like it was worth the risk to try it out.

blueboxdoctor

Original Poster
The 18-55 "kit" lens will see you through fine for most of your trip. You may want to look at something around 200mm - those pesky animals on the Kilimanjaro safari tend to be quite far away :cat:

The only reason I'm not fully sold on a zoom lens (well other than the price) is I'm not sure if I'd use it much outside of vacation (I know I specifically said for WDW, but then I realized I'll have it for back home too). But yes, it would be nice to have one on the safari. The wide angle I was looking at is $400, so if I could find a zoom for around that price I wouldn't be opposed (that way I can still get the 35mm or something similar - it's $200 - for portrait purposes both on vaca and at home).

CAPTAIN HOOK

so if I could find a zoom for around that price I wouldn't be opposed (that way I can still get the 35mm or something similar - it's $200 - for portrait purposes both on vaca and at home).
Just remember - you already have a 35mm lens within the 18-55mm from the kit. Sure, it may not be of the same quality of a dedicated 35mm lens (kit lenses invariably aren't) but aren't you just throwing away $200 to duplicate a purchase ?

blueboxdoctor

Original Poster
OK, I did a little more research, how would this setup do:

AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G (new for $200)
AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR (refurbished from Nikon for $230)

I don't know much about zoom lenses, but I do know it's a little more than $400 new and I see nice reviews on it. Just wondering what you guys all think of it.

blueboxdoctor

Original Poster
Just remember - you already have a 35mm lens within the 18-55mm from the kit. Sure, it may not be of the same quality of a dedicated 35mm lens (kit lenses invariably aren't) but aren't you just throwing away $200 to duplicate a purchase ?

Good point, but it seems the more I look up photos taken with both lenses (on flickr boards) the 35mm prime lens does look noticeably better. Of course, it could also be because those posting with the kit lens are beginners (such as myself) and as such, aren't as skilled with the lens. If you check out my post before this one, I found a zoom lens, not sure if you are familiar with the model.

CAPTAIN HOOK

My Nikon came with a choice of lenses - I opted for the 18-135mm. I subsequently purchased a 70-300mm which was purchased for the first of my several visits to Wembley Stadium to experience live NFL. It also comes in very handy for our trips to Disney (admittedly usually just in AK)

blueboxdoctor

Original Poster
My Nikon came with a choice of lenses - I opted for the 18-135mm. I subsequently purchased a 70-300mm which was purchased for the first of my several visits to Wembley Stadium to experience live NFL. It also comes in very handy for our trips to Disney (admittedly usually just in AK)

I couldn't imagine bringing my camera to an Eagles game (would get some nice shots, but would also probably get beer all over the camera and other undesirable things). What drew me to that lens was the price, can't beat that, but I think I may revert back to a wide angle instead, I have always wanted one so may go that way. I think I may keep my current lens set at 35mm for a few days and see how I like it and if I feel the need to upgrade (too bad they don't allow you to try out the 35mm lens at Best Buy, as it's locked behind their glass display counter, at least then I could do some comparison shots).

CAPTAIN HOOK

(too bad they don't allow you to try out the 35mm lens at Best Buy, as it's locked behind their glass display counter, at least then I could do some comparison shots).
You wouldn't buy a car without a test drive.
Take your camera along and ask to try the lens. What's the worst that can happen ??

blueboxdoctor

Original Poster
You wouldn't buy a car without a test drive.
Take your camera along and ask to try the lens. What's the worst that can happen ??

I figured I'd bring it along just in case they do let me try it out (depends on who is working, there are two people at my local store that are very into photography so they may let me try it, the rest, not so much). Unrelated, but you'd be surprised how many people buy a car without a test drive, it really confuses me. I'll probably also bring someone along so I can use them to test out how the background blurs.

blueboxdoctor

Original Poster
So, the more I think on it, the more I'm thinking a zoom probably isn't the best option for me. Now my question is, other than the possibility of a 35mm which would be useful both on vacation and at home, what is a good wide angle that won't break the bank (for reference, the sigma I posted is around $450)?

Jahona

Usually what I suggest for those looking for lenses starting out is to get 2 good zoom lenses. Your kit 18-55 will work fine and I would suggest a 70-300 to give you a nice broad coverage range. After that I usually suggest 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm prime lenses.

For WDW since you may not want to carry a lot of glass into the parks I would suggest a good zoom lens to give you flexibility. After that a 35mm for an ok wide angle, for a crop sensor, and a 50mm for a bit of zoom.

NowInc

The 35mm is the first lens I suggest anyone to get. It is limited..but thats kind of the point. On your camera it will be closer to a 50mm equivalent which is not really that wide. So why do I usually point people towards it? You will learn more about your camera and composition by using it. You will be forced to "zoom with your feet"...think about your shots, and see what f1.8 is about in contrast to say..f.9. Its an amazing value at $200 (or less depending if you can snag it on sale). Is it an ideal lens for WDW? Ehhh...that all depends on what you want to shoot.

For me, wide was the way to go. The sigma you listed isnt a bad lens at all. Super sharp and 10mm at the wide end will get everything you need in the shot. Personally I went with the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 after trying them both out just because it was slightly better (although also slightly more expensive)

A zoom lens isn't a bad idea, but if you don't see it getting THAT much use, I would hold off.

If you are still unsure what you want, there are tons of lens rental companies that will pay for shipping (both ways) so you can get a feel for the type of shooter you want to be and what lens will fit best. Some even deliver lenses to the parks :)

Gig 'Em Mickey

I LOVE my 35mm 1.8 Nikon lens. Takes beautiful pictures. I used it on all the indoor rides last trip. It's a little tight on an APS-C (I also have a d3200) but overall I was real happy with it. I was not happy overall with the results I got from my 18-55 non-VR. I've used the Tokina 11-16 on a trip and it is an awesome lens if you are looking for something wide angle. Be sure you get the Pro DX II version of that for the internal focusing motor.

I just bought a Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 Macro lens and so far it is great as well. A little soft on the edges when wide maybe and not a "true macro," but still tons better than the 18-55 I had.

I'll upgrade the body eventually, but decided I want better glass right now. The picture quality is worth more to me than the nicer features I want on a higher end body.

Gig 'Em Mickey

(too bad they don't allow you to try out the 35mm lens at Best Buy, as it's locked behind their glass display counter, at least then I could do some comparison shots)

When I was camera shopping I brought along a memory card and did a ton of test shots with different lenses and cameras. Then I brought the card home and looked over the pics.

blueboxdoctor

Original Poster
The 35mm is the first lens I suggest anyone to get. It is limited..but thats kind of the point. On your camera it will be closer to a 50mm equivalent which is not really that wide. So why do I usually point people towards it? You will learn more about your camera and composition by using it. You will be forced to "zoom with your feet"...think about your shots, and see what f1.8 is about in contrast to say..f.9. Its an amazing value at $200 (or less depending if you can snag it on sale). Is it an ideal lens for WDW? Ehhh...that all depends on what you want to shoot.

For me, wide was the way to go. The sigma you listed isnt a bad lens at all. Super sharp and 10mm at the wide end will get everything you need in the shot. Personally I went with the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 after trying them both out just because it was slightly better (although also slightly more expensive)

A zoom lens isn't a bad idea, but if you don't see it getting THAT much use, I would hold off.

If you are still unsure what you want, there are tons of lens rental companies that will pay for shipping (both ways) so you can get a feel for the type of shooter you want to be and what lens will fit best. Some even deliver lenses to the parks :)

I think what you're saying about the zoom is basically how I'm feeling.

I'll check out the Tokina wide angle, it's the same price as the Sigma on Amazon, so if it's better then I don't see why I wouldn't go for it (just looked up the one apparently needed for auto-focusing, and it's even cheaper, this is getting interesting).

I'm pretty into the 35mm lens, and will probably be getting that one. And I'm thinking wide angle is the other way for me to go since I have always been interested in them and have seen a lot of cool wide angle photos of WDW online that have been giving me photo ideas for when I go.

blueboxdoctor

Original Poster
I LOVE my 35mm 1.8 Nikon lens. Takes beautiful pictures. I used it on all the indoor rides last trip. It's a little tight on an APS-C (I also have a d3200) but overall I was real happy with it. I was not happy overall with the results I got from my 18-55 non-VR. I've used the Tokina 11-16 on a trip and it is an awesome lens if you are looking for something wide angle. Be sure you get the Pro DX II version of that for the internal focusing motor.

I just bought a Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 Macro lens and so far it is great as well. A little soft on the edges when wide maybe and not a "true macro," but still tons better than the 18-55 I had.

I'll upgrade the body eventually, but decided I want better glass right now. The picture quality is worth more to me than the nicer features I want on a higher end body.

Good call pointing out the Pro DX II, and I looked it up, it's cheaper than the one without the internal focusing motor, so that's awesome. I've been looking up photos taken with it and I like what I've been seeing (same goes for the 35mm, that lens I'm prob going to end up getting).

Gig 'Em Mickey

Yeah if you like wide angle stuff or landscapes or what have you I loved the Tokina. I rented it and it made me want to buy it. 35mm is great too. Just know that at 1.8 your focal plane is razor thin if you're very close to your subject.

NowInc

Until I moved to full frame, the Tokina 11-16 was my all time favorite lens. It barely left my body for almost 2 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom