new to dining plan

Disney Stine

Original Poster
I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I am new to the dining plan. I know you can have a choice of either a non alcoholic or one alcoholic beverage during your meals. I have cape may cafe, ohana, and liberty tree tavern booked for my trip coming up. All three of these restaurants include a soda in their price already. Does this mean I can get a soda AND also get one alcoholic beverage with my meal, or do I have to pick between them?

I appreciate all answers!

DisneyGigi

It is one or the other. I would Pay out of pocket for the soda. :) Good choices with restaurants! Love Cape May & ‘Ohana. Liberty Tree is really good too.

Disney Stine

Original Poster
It is one or the other. I would Pay out of pocket for the soda. :) Good choices with restaurants! Love Cape May & ‘Ohana. Liberty Tree is really good too.
Thanks! Will the server be okay with letting me pick which one to pay for? They don't automatically make you pay for the more expensive item?

DisneyGigi

Thanks! Will the server be okay with letting me pick which one to pay for? They don't automatically make you pay for the more expensive item?
Yes, just tell them- If my husband orders beer, which is cheaper than a cocktail and I have two, we pay out of pocket for the beer. Use dining credits for alcohol. They do not make you pay for more expensive. Same thing at Counter Service.

Disney Stine

Original Poster
Yes, just tell them- If my husband orders beer, which is cheaper than a cocktail and I have two, we pay out of pocket for the beer. Use dining credits for alcohol. They do not make you pay for more expensive. Same thing at Counter Service.
How do they do this at places where soda is already included in the meal price? It’s not an a la cart item on the menu? It’s already factored in to the price of the entirety of the meal.

DisneyGigi

How do they do this at places where soda is already included in the meal price? It’s not an a la cart item on the menu? It’s already factored in to the price of the entirety of the meal.
If you are not on the dining plan it is soda, tea, etc. You have to choose one or the other with. If we are not on dining plan, and get a soda, it is included and alcohol is separate. When they added it to plan, you can choose. We usually have water, don’t drink soda that much, so we choose the one with more bang for the buck. Soda is unlimited refills, as is tea, etc. With or without dining plan.

Jayhawkie

Actually, I watched an episode of Disney Food Blog and they said if the soda is included then you get a drink too. Just what I heard not for sure though

DisneyGigi

Actually, I watched an episode of Disney Food Blog and they said if the soda is included then you get a drink too. Just what I heard not for sure though
It isn’t, unless it changed since November. You have to choose. Been doing the dining plan since 2007, and taking advantage of the choice of alcohol since they added it. You have to choose.

Hcalvert

Also, if you are on the dining plan and eating at a QS at a resort, you can get a side or dessert instead of the drink since you will have the refillable cup or you could just get alcohol and refill the cup too (with a non-alcoholic drink from the self-service area).

Last edited:

Disney Stine

Original Poster
Thank you everyone. I definitely will be taking advantage of the alcohol vs soda! I love all of the little “hacks” for the dining plan.

cjlyon

I went to Ohana twice in 2018 and they offered us the soft drink and alcoholic beverage with the dining plan but not sure of any of the other places you have chosen.

CaptainAmerica

It isn’t, unless it changed since November. You have to choose. Been doing the dining plan since 2007, and taking advantage of the choice of alcohol since they added it. You have to choose.
No, not at a buffet or other single-price place. You can get both. The soft drink doesn't have a menu price associated with it, it's essentially part of the entree.

DisneyGigi

No, not at a buffet or other single-price place. You can get both. The soft drink doesn't have a menu price associated with it, it's essentially part of the entree.
I always get water- but at Cape May or Ohana, if my son is with us and had a drink and a soda- I swear the soda was on the bill. I will be sure and ask about that at both,in May -since we have both booked. Maybe it was just the servers?

CaptainAmerica

I swear the soda was on the bill.
They still have to enter it into the computer for the sake of the KVS system, i.e. they input it into the computer and then a monitor at the drink station tells the person working there what to pour. I would bet that even your tap water was on the receipt for the same reason.

Minthorne

This has been my experience as well. When the buffet includes a non-alcoholic beverage you can get both that and an alcoholic drink when on the DDP.

CaptainAmerica

All of this begs the question of why one would actually want soda, in addition to an alcoholic drink, at a meal that's already all-you-can-eat. That's a lot of volume (and calories) taking up belly space just from your liquids. Less room for pot roast or Durban chicken or honey coriander wings, as the case may be.

Full disclosure: Am a fat guy. No judgment on the nutritional side of things. I'd just reconsider the allocation of stomach capacity.

DisneyGigi

They still have to enter it into the computer for the sake of the KVS system, i.e. they input it into the computer and then a monitor at the drink station tells the person working there what to pour. I would bet that even your tap water was on the receipt for the same reason.
I mean the room charges for the tip and any extras. Where it breaks it down. I may be wrong but I swear I remember it. I didn’t have that many backscratchers or Margaritas- I don’t think lol. 😳 But thanks I will make sure to remember this time because I never questioned it.

Shouldigo12

Thank you everyone. I definitely will be taking advantage of the alcohol vs soda! I love all of the little “hacks” for the dining plan.
In that case- has anyone told you yet that at some QS locations, you can convert use a QS credit to get three snacks? You have to get them all in the same transaction, but it can be a nice option to have.

Dave B

I am approaching my 180 day window and had a question for everyone, I am drawing a blank for some reason. We will be going Sept 12-24, Will I be able to book everything day one when booking opens? Or just 180 + 10 days, so I will essentially have to wait to get the last two days booked 48 hours after my window opens? Does that make sense? Thx

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom