1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by wdwmagic, Jul 15, 2017.

1. MisterPenguin

MisterPenguin Premium Member

Yeah, they made that bypass guest-ready because they use that as a special entrance for the ticketed events. You can get your first bag of Halloween candy or Christmas cookies there.

Which gets me thinking... this bypass is so that guests coming in for the ticketed party aren't crashing into the guests leaving. But if this bypass gets closed down in order to construct the new theater and add better facades all around, then what is WDW to do?

Push out the day-guests an hour earlier. Which is what they'll do starting with the Christmas parties.

becca_ and David2319 like this.
  2. trojanjustin

trojanjustin Well-Known Member

This is largely incorrect. That bypass is occasionally used for what you describe but more often than not it is used as a way to do what's called a "blow out," by allowing guests to leave the park in a more expedited fashion, especially during parades, fireworks or at other peak times when Main Street may be clogged with people or blocked due to an event.

It has been paved, painted and landscaped for quite some time (at least since New Years eve).

Previous to this bypass, they would do the same thing, just with temporary planters. This required far more cast members to staff though, as they had to ensure guests followed the correct path. It was also bad show. The bypass allowed for a smoother, easier exit experience for guests - while not completely breaking the show.

COProgressFan likes this.
  3. MisterPenguin

MisterPenguin Premium Member

Chyahh... it was used as I described for the 2016 Halloween and Christmas parties. I was there for both. So... largely correct.

BlindChow likes this.
  4. MansionButler84

MansionButler84 Premium Member

I have not found this to be accurate as recently as February. During the afternoon parade or around fireworks time, Main Street would be jam packed but the bypass closed off. I'm unsure of why that is. If you got it, use it.

It is certainly used as the entrance for party guests.

5. rael ramone

rael ramone Well-Known Member

I've only read 'bits and pieces' of this thread (so what I say may have been said by others), so...

1. There is NO QUESTION (IMHO) that this is meant to attract people to visit. This isn't just to give people something to do. In their minds there is already something for you to do.... buy food, beverages, and plush. They wouldn't spend $$$ on a long show in a nice looking theatre that uses precious executive parking unless it was meant to attract visits.

2. This seems like the best thing to have been announced at D23 (and this is coming from someone who doesn't find these kind of shows interesting). A quality offering that provides a genuine need that doesn't displace another attraction. If they follow through with this*, it makes you feel good even if you don't personally enjoy it. It's very presence adds class & quality.

3. My guess is that the bypass from Center St to Tony's will become permanently open, where the theatre will end up. I'm guessing the north part will remain a bypass.

4. I'm guessing as well that 'New Street' won't simply house the theatre. If they can fit retail back there (even if it's kiosks) it will be there.

* - Wall Street (unlike in the past) wants stuff added in the parks, so it makes the D23 stuff much more likely to happen then stuff that ended up in coffee table books. Worst case scenario would be if *new research* tells them that it won't drive additional attendance and in fact gives people less store time (which might cause them to 'Hyperian Wharf' the project).

6. RSoxNo1

RSoxNo1 Well-Known Member

Nobody asked to meet me. I gotta start wearing pants.

Mike S and JenniferS like this.
  7. mm121

mm121 Well-Known Member

it probably just depends on the buildings placement, if its set back a bit from the bypass most likely the bypass would be able to continue to be used throughout most of the construction

its most likely going where the cars are parked now, so even with the bypass open they would have access to the site on 3 sides

its like building in a big city, they build buildings all the time without disrupting the buildings right next door. its a bit of a challenge and a different mindset but definitely doable

they also have the crappy un themed bypass that they sometimes use on the west side of mainstreet through the backstage and parking lot, just means rolling out the planters again

so theres definitely options

Cosmic Commando likes this.
  8. Mike S

Mike S Well-Known Member

Yes I did. You never answered :p

9. NearTheEars

NearTheEars Well-Known Member

I think what they meant to say is that it wasn't built specifically for the Halloween and Christmas parties. That's just among its uses.

I've never been to a party, but I've enjoyed several expedited jaunts down the bypass.

10. TheGuyThatMakesSwords

TheGuyThatMakesSwords Well-Known Member

So - if the bypass sort of becomes "Main Street 2", requiring a new bypass....
    Would this then be a double-bypass? :). Credit to my dear wife for the horrible pun :).

11. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

LOL

You think people are going to flock to the park because they built a new theater space? It's very much needed and will help a lot with capacity.

David2319, Goob and po1998 like this.
  12. trojanjustin

trojanjustin Well-Known Member

That is certainly a secondary benefit of the built-out. However, Disney has had a bypass in that route for peak nights for decades - it was previous unthemed with some potted plants and shrubbery to obstruct the backstage views. It required a good amount of labor to build/take-down each time they wanted to use it. That was the largely purpose for this - to have the option available whenever it was necessary at a moment's notice.

mm121 likes this.
  13. dreamscometrue

dreamscometrue Well-Known Member

Thanks for both of those tips. :)

BlindChow and trainplane3 like this.
  14. mm121

mm121 Well-Known Member

They could just use the west side unthemed bypass like they sometimes do now, maybe one day it will become themed too

it was horrible show, the way the west side one is when they use it, heck the west side one they dont even bother with planters sometimes

its really too bad they never just finished the original vision of making main street an actual neighborhood with multiple streets

David2319, Superman68 and Goob like this.
  15. Goob

Goob Well-Known Member

Isn't Tokyo Disneyland's "Main Street" like that? With multiple streets? I know it's covered. Correct?

TDL is high on my bucket list, so one day I hope to see for myself.

brb1006 likes this.
  16. Mike730

Mike730 Well-Known Member

I'm also in the camp that expects the south side and center street to be open to the theater, while the north gate remains closed for bypass use only.

17. Cesar R M

Cesar R M Well-Known Member

That means building new utilitors. dont they?

18. Cesar R M

Cesar R M Well-Known Member

It all depends on how important and/or popular the area is.
    They use mostly planes now for updating the maps (mostly commercial planes with cameras on their bellies).
    Thats why certain cities and countries get way more updates.

Solution, make yet another bypass ;)

also, building a new theatre would really block the bypass?

19. SpectroBro

SpectroBro Active Member

The utilidors cut off before that plot of land. They run down Main Street but don't extend under the backstage parking lot

20. lazyboy97o

lazyboy97o Well-Known Member

Yes, World Bazaar is covered. It has a Main Street that runs from the entrance to the Central Plaza and Center Street which cuts across connecting Adventureland and Tomorrowland.

brb1006 and Goob like this.