News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

RandySavage

If Disney had been planning to build a 360 degree Main Street East around the new theater area and host productions that synced with the land's original & intended theme, I'd be more disappointed by this news. It was pretty clear that the back-side of Main Street east was not going to be touched (keeping the current light "theming" of the bypass) and the productions would have nothing to do with the land's time & place (e.g. Tangled: A Musical Adventure).

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Waiting for other insiders to confirm Moana theater to be built.

Where is this expansion pad? Can someone provide a map?

Isn't it south, west of the Pirates show building? I believe you would access it via a path between Pirates and Jungle Cruise (at least that's where they had been talking about building Fire Mountain...

ToTBellHop

Waiting for other insiders to confirm Moana theater to be built.

Where is this expansion pad? Can someone provide a map?
For what it’s worth, the story I heard 48 hours ago (when I found out about the MSUSA theater cancellation) wasn’t a Moana theatre. I heard a different option for MK. But there are also options elsewhere. I believe the actual choice has been made though.

Skibum1970

I looked at that spot on Google maps. They could have built one really good dark rides in that space. I'd move Monsters and Buzz to DHS and gut those. Then, new dark ride to take over their space and a new one that is to the side of Carousel of Progress. Theme them to a new 20K Under the Seas in subs (not water-based but maybe trackless) and Voyage to the Center of the Earth (powered coaster platform with one or two launch scenes. Tie Tomorrowland together with Jules Verne.

Thus, that space is used for a ride (which they need), you balance out some of Tomorrowland, and you fix the mess of mixed IP's. Then, management can begin balancing out in Adventureland and Frontierland to spread the crowds out as I just created a potential crowd mess.

njDizFan

Hmmm...curious and curiouser.

If this helps save the IP invasion of the Tiki room without completely destroying the integrity of AL I am on board.

RS would add a nice bit of kinetics to the West of the hub (and for the most part be thematically representational of the land) but the ride is so lackluster I would have to give it a hard pass.

RandySavage

Rules of MK expansion speculation:

1. Take any idea that's not IP-based and chuck it in the trash.
2. Take any attraction that thematically fits like a glove where it will be built: trash it.
3. Take anything lavishly expensive and place it in trash.
4. Then begin to speculate on the remaining options.

Eg. A Zooptopia-Winnie the Pooh-Moana stage show in southwest Adventureland.

nickys

Premium Member
For what it’s worth, the story I heard 48 hours ago (when I found out about the MSUSA theater cancellation) wasn’t a Moana theatre. I heard a different option for MK. But there are also options elsewhere. I believe the actual choice has been made though.

What did you think of the option for MK?
And have you any idea how long ago they made the decision? If I've read things correctly it seems this news "broke" sometime this week perhaps. So I'm wondering how long they have taken to reach this decision to cancel the Theatre and go with something else. Just how "considered" and thought out is the new option I wonder.

Absimilliard

...and a theoretical capacity around 880 pph (someone correct me if I did my math wrong)... wouldn't be the worst capacity ride at MK (similar capacity to Peter Pan, Buzz, and Winnie the Pooh), but would be BY FAR the worst capacity of the major coasters...

Theorical capacity for Raging Spirits is around 1600 guests per hour at Tokyo DisneySea and the same at Disneyland Paris for the Intamin version, even though they both run and are constructed in a different way.

Temple du Peril is the Intamin interpretation of a Pinfari (budget Italian ride manufacturer that closed 14-15 years ago in the great ride manufacturer bankrupcy wave) looping coaster, but modified to make it smoother, sturdier and with higher capacity. After 6 years of loyal service, they shut down Temple du Peril in early 2000 and changed some track sections and the trains. They went from 8 passenger cars to 12 passengers cars and can run six trains at once. Operation is the following: two trains load and unload at once and they are dispatched at the same time. The ride ran backward from 2000 to 2004 and the new trains were flipped forward in 2004 as the ride was too intense and not too popular in its backward shape. Around 2012, the ride was closed for another refurb where the temple was made permanent and the loop changed to a new Vekoma designed vertical loop. The ride is now considered a "permanent attraction" at the park and removal for an EMV or larger Indiana Jones coaster is not a possibility anymore.

Raging Spirits again take the same basic layout, but smoothes it even more and when the ride opened in 2005, it was quite rough and violent still. Compared to Paris, the layout was flipped 180 degrees: in Paris, the train drops into the loop in front of the path and entrance. In Tokyo, the high post lift turn and last turn are near the midway. Sansei-Yusoki, maker of many Tokyo Disney attractions and other ride systems such as Roaring Rapids at Shanghai Disneyland, Toy Story Mania!, Monsters Inc, Ride & Go Seek and the post WDW Buzz Lightyear attractions was selected to make Raging Spirits. Amazingly, the ride budget was a reasonable for Disney 60 million dollars USD in 2005 and what they got was a great attraction to add capacity to the park. During a 2006 refurbishment, they added magnetic brakes to two of the brake zones to make the following turns more manageable and added those huge soft cushions to the shoulder restraints.

Operationally, the waiting line starts to the right of the last turn and goes around the ride, going near the drop into the loop before arriving at the station. There, it runs like Everest: one load position, one unload position. Sansei also improved reliability by adding pusher tires to the speed reducing brakes at the end, which still cause issues in Paris when a train stops there. The minimum height restriction was dropped down a LOT at Raging Spirits: the new Sansei restraints allow guests from 44 to 76.5 inches tall to ride while in Paris, the minimum height restriction is an insane 55 inches!

As for a complete history of the Temple du Peril, no need to write a new one as I wrote it already for both attractions...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom