News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

Rodan75

What's the group in Vancouver you speak of?

There is a team in Vancouver that builds these types of shows for the Cruise Line, I wasn't sure if they did other Parks work or not.

The way that Disney has spoken of them in the past, it was creating the shows, casting them and rehearsing them in Vancouver. They mentioned this team again over the weekend when they spoke about the new Beauty and the Beast show that is coming to the Disney Dream.

Rodan75

I wondering if the bypass won't just become an area to house those waiting for the theater show and then once the theater is no longer running anymore shows for the day then you would see it open as needed.

I know they don't like having it open as we were directed to it on our last visit, no sign was up not to enter like usual and a few steps in were directed back out......girl said she was going to open it but changed mind as crowd wasn't big enough to demand it. A few people slid through but she turned us around.....no biggie and she put the sign back out but I got the message that they try to avoid using it.

Since they do use the utilidor below for most operational supprt it would be nice if it was completely reimagined to have shop access on both sides of Main Street so it could be open all the time.....they could some pretty cool looks on the backside and tie it all together.

I'm sure this project's budget includes some 'place-making' of the Main Street Bypass so that it could be open all of the time. This would be a huge help during parades and fireworks when coming into the park, as well as exiting.

mikenatcity1

There is a team in Vancouver that builds these types of shows for the Cruise Line, I wasn't sure if they did other Parks work or not.

The way that Disney has spoken of them in the past, it was creating the shows, casting them and rehearsing them in Vancouver. They mentioned this team again over the weekend when they spoke about the new Beauty and the Beast show that is coming to the Disney Dream.

Disney Cruise line has a space in Toronto where they bring in the DCL casts for 10 weeks to rehearse all of the shows and get to know each other before heading to the ships (all casts rotate in and out together). From what I have been told, the creative team for the shows may or may not be cruise specific- they use all aspects (Frozen was the same for DCA and the Wonder, just adapted, probably like Aladdin).

I hope they bring a team like that into do a show for MK :)

dhslxop

It sounds like this will effectively constitute a fairly sizable expansion of Main Street USA, with the theater itself but also the more frequent (or permanent) opening of the bypass along with theming there.

My question is: Has Main Street USA ever before received a sizable expansion to its Guest areas? Or will this be the first?

And a less important question: I wonder if there will be a need to re-name the current Town Square Theater. After this new one is operational, when we think "theater on Main St", surely we'll be thinking of the new one.

The only sizable expansion I can think of was the 2001 Emporium expansion, which removed West Center Street and turned the Emporium into a major shop that encompassed the majority of the west side of Main Street.

Rodan75

Disney Cruise line has a space in Toronto where they bring in the DCL casts for 10 weeks to rehearse all of the shows and get to know each other before heading to the ships (all casts rotate in and out together). From what I have been told, the creative team for the shows may or may not be cruise specific- they use all aspects (Frozen was the same for DCA and the Wonder, just adapted, probably like Aladdin).

I hope they bring a team like that into do a show for MK :)

Thanks..for some reason I swore they said Vancouver, but you know...Canada is Canada (J/K). Hopefully they do use that sort of team to build this show. I'm assuming we are going to get something that is not on the Cruise ships since there would be some overlap with guests.

wedenterprises

Huh. I knew they did auditions there but didn't realize they built the shows too. I wonder where - anyone know?

TikiTorch

IMG_9094.jpg
I just noticed most of the design work for bypass exterior facades has already been done!

admiralDax

What a false statement.

Perhaps. My opinion is that Disney will reuse the Town Square Theater SPACE, essentially disconnecting access from the Hub frontage (Tony's and the shop there) and adding a new entrance, facing North, in the bypass area. I would also assume that they will extend the existing building to the east, to add the additional footage to the theater and add the lobby area. Again, this is only my opinion.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The bypass isn't nearly big enough to house the queueing guests, if we're assuming this theater is similar to DCA's.
A theater needs roughly it's equivalent size to hold guests waiting for the following show.

Some people have said the theater will come with a lobby inside.
Let's see how Disney plans to accomodate this

They could always have the queue snake through all the Mains Street shops!!!

@MisterPenguin have you heard that Jack from DSNY Newscast hast cited you as a source on his latest video? He showed your renderings.

Heh. He doesn't know that I've been heckling his videos in the comment section with a differing user name. :D

At least, he's now reading this forum and maybe will stop spreading false rumors.... nah.

Magenta Panther

I'm a little puzzled as to why the Willis Theater was chosen. There was another theater in KC MO where Walt's first Laugh-O-Grams were shown - the Newman Theater. I must admit that it wasn't much to look at, though:

It was later bought by Paramount and went by the name of the Paramount theater. It is, of course, no longer with us. It was demolished in 1972.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom