New The Living Seas survey

RSoxNo1

There are options here that could work for a new attraction in this space. Some options I'd like to see:

• A journey to/through the Marianas Trench
  • A journey to the Seacastle Resort

janoimagine

When I first visited this pavilion in the late 80's I was literally weak in my knees and could not believe what I was seeing. It felt like I was in a Star Trek (well … a SEA trek) type of futuristic station. I spent a couple hours just marveling at this imaginative, other-worldly environment. It really is - as most of future world - a sad shell of it's former self. It currently feels like a neglected mall.
I think it was until I was a teenager that I figured out you weren't actually going down in the Hydrolaters, and only then because someone went out the emergency exit at the back of the pavilion. It was that good of an effect.

DreamfinderGuy

So, since this thread got bumped, are there any updates on what’s going to happen to The Living Seas? I think the Nemo IP is here to stay, but the place needs a facelift pretty badly. Hate to bother @marni1971, but has there been any more development here or is it a backburner project like Imagination currently is?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So, since this thread got bumped, are there any updates on what’s going to happen to The Living Seas? I think the Nemo IP is here to stay, but the place needs a facelift pretty badly. Hate to bother @marni1971, but has there been any more development here or is it a backburner project like Imagination currently is?
Back burner as far as I know. They’re spending a small fortune elsewhere in the park and whilst I may not agree with some of the use of the money, it’s not an inconsequential figure.

Surferboy567

Bump

I know it’s been nearly two years since this has been brought up. The pandemic happened, this is probably still on the back burner as was the case two years ago.

Are the seas planned for any updates as part of this EPCOT transformation? Not sure if it necessarily needs it as much as other pavilions (Imagination) but it wouldn’t be bad if it got a fresh coat of paint or some kind of enhancements.

The last I have heard about it was that the site that shall be named was saying that the Land and Seas would be bulldozed. I am sure that isn’t the case but it got me wondering are they planning on updating these classic pavilions for EPCOT’s transformation. It seems that Guardians, Rat, and Harm etc were supposed to be phase one. Is their more planned for EPCOT after these projects?

Imagination, The Land, and The Seas are the most likely I would see as receiving some kind of upgrade.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Everything is on the back burner.

Iger spent his first decade not spending much of a dime...and was forced into it when stagnation became an issue.

slappy will do the same thing if he gets cover to do it...same cycle.

they have the cover. Not only that: all the pricing allows them to reap bigger profits while doing the “austerity” and “longterm repositioning” nonsense. This is just starting. Past is prologue.

i’m gonna write a book. It’s gonna be called “while the east coast slept”

Surferboy567

Everything is on the back burner.

Iger spent his first decade not spending much of a dime...and was forced into it when stagnation became an issue.

slappy will do the same thing if he gets cover to do it...same cycle.

they have the cover. Not only that: all the pricing allows them to reap bigger profits while doing the “austerity” and “longterm repositioning” nonsense. This is just starting. Past is prologue.

i’m gonna write a book. It’s gonna be called “while the east coast slept”
I was going to say that this was a pretty grim outlook. Then, I saw @marni1971 liked it.

I’d be lying if I said I expected them to keep spending after COVID. Even though, like everyone has said it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to keep investing.

EDIT: I expect all the projects that were going to happen will be completed (Rat, Guardians, Harm, Dreamers Point etc). Beyond that, probably not much more investment. This will leave EPCOT in a semi-stable state. It obviously could use a lot more work.

The one exception to the rule is probably Spaceship Earth, that needs an update ASAP.

(still holding out hope for Imagination) it’s probably misplaced but maybe.

Last edited:

Haymarket2008

Apparently there were plans for the Hydrolators to make a triumphant return as a part of the new Epcot overhaul. Probably paused for now. After all the work is done, the spotlight will get put on that side of the park.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Without a shred of a doubt. I’ll be very interested to see how things move forward with Imagination, Seas and Land. I’d say the work is needed in that order.
In all honesty I think we’ve seen The Land finished (even if the boat finale is stuck in 1994 - the original ending was more inspiring)

Imag they seem to keep dancing around. Almost nervously. I wouldn’t say cluelessly but we’ve seen the damage being done elsewhere.

Haymarket2008

In all honesty I think we’ve seen The Land finished (even if the boat finale is stuck in 1994 - the original ending was more inspiring)

Imag they seem to keep dancing around. Almost nervously. I wouldn’t say cluelessly but we’ve seen the damage being done elsewhere.

Despite some extremely minor cosmetic enhancements I’d like to see, The Land is really wonderful as is, so I’m glad to hear you say this. And LwtL is more than successful in what it sets out to do. Still one of my favorite rides on property.

I’ll continue to hold my breath with Imagination.....they have a chance to make it right....let’s see.

Surferboy567

Despite some extremely minor cosmetic enhancements I’d like to see, The Land is really wonderful as is, so I’m glad to hear you say this. And LwtL is more than successful in what it sets out to do. Still one of my favorite rides on property.

I’ll continue to hold my breath with Imagination.....they have a chance to make it right....let’s see.
As has been discussed, the land doesn’t really need much. Soarin’ is fine the way it is, Living with the Land could just use a simple coat of paint nothing major. I fully admit though never been the biggest fan of Living with the Land.

It’s clear the Seas is functional the way it is. I even don’t mind Nemo. I think that fits well. I think it could use a slightly bigger update then the land. Make it the marine institute like others have said. It is functional, but could use some updates.

As for Spaceship Earth, I thought the refurb they had planned was exactly what we needed. I would just continue with that.

...then we come to pavilion that is in the saddest shape of all. Imagination needs help, and they know this. To be honest though, I’d be scared to touch it if I were them as well. It’s clear it needs an entirely new attraction. The best course of action (which I think they will follow) is to keep Figment around and do a trackless ride in Imagination. Anything is probably better then what we currently have.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom