New Test Track?

ToyStoryMiss

Original Poster
Hello! :joyfull:

What's the new Test Track like? Since we have 34 days left (yeah, the stuff came earlier! The luggage tags and vouchers and everything! :D I felt like a Pokemon on crack when I saw it!), I would like to know how it works.
I'm currently watching the updated version of Ultimate WDW, and they showed the new Test Track. Originally, I thought it was Tron-themed..I was far off...:confused:

Can anyone tell me what it's like? Is it still like the original or is it different?
Please tell me! :happy:

Marc Gil

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. For me at least, Test Track 2.0 proved to be a worthy successor of the original attraction.
The attraction's interior is completely transformed. Instead of the GM test facility found in TT.1, TT.2 takes you into the Chevrolet Design Center.
There is a lot more to look at in the new queue. For one, you now get to create your own vehicle design (standby and Fastpass only).
It's actually pretty fun. I recommend doing it at least once, so be prepared to wait, or go early!
The ride itself has the same track layout. It looks much more futuristic, and the actual ride is much better themed than the original.
The original was fun, and it'll always have a place in my heart, but TT 2.0 isn't bad. It's still the longest, fastest attraction at Walt Disney World, so that's good enough for me!

PUSH

I liked the new version, but prefer the first one. I don't think it would be as fun if we didn't have someone from our group in the front and back seat, though. And single ride seems like it would be very boring. They pretty much turned it into a competition to see who designed the better car. I imagine it'll get old if I ride it again, though.

Sped2424

compared to the old cardboard cut out scenes yeah its an improvement. lol My only complaint is that the outside track doesn't really fit all that great with the rest of the ride.

compared to the old cardboard cut out scenes yeah its an improvement. lol My only complaint is that the outside track doesn't really fit all that great with the rest of the ride.

I totally agree. They could have enclosed it into a tunnel with in floor and ceiling led lights, that woulda been cool. They still could keep the no-longer crash barrier sliding door, maybe add a flash of light as they got through and bam.

I think they should have kept the rough road section though, nothing really happens now until the old break tests (no official hill climb test, no Belgium blocks).

acishere

I have no issue with the Tron theme they added. The only issue I have is that they removed the weather and bump tests and replaced them with nothing. Every other test is the same except it's made to look like you are in the Grid.

It really seems like the Imagineers really wanted to make a Tron ride, but couldn't since the movie wasn't a huge success. So they just shoved their Tron ideas into the TT update.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I like it, although the original version was great this new one suits Epcot much better. But in a way the other OP's are right, they could have left all the original things and still refaced the scenery of the ride to what it is now.

awoogala

I barely liked the first one. I saw a video of the second one, assumed I'd hate it. Somehow between the pre-show, which reminded me of old innovative epcot (new innoventions that might be coming, futuristic, etc.), and the excitement of my kid when they got to design a car, and the actual ride (not so much video of bad actors), I actually liked it. It isn't a horizons, or a Journey, but it's pretty good overall, and it hints at what EPCOT was, which makes me happy.

luv

Same ride, all in total darkness with some neon lighting. I think part of it goes faster than it did before, but others say I'm wrong.

The truck, inexplicably, is still there. It seems very outof place. If you'd never been on the ride before, you might be thinking, "What the hell?"

It's still a good ride. It just needs a name change, really.

RunnerFool

Why did you ask this forum? You know at least 75% of them will hate it.
I like it. We didn't have to wait for 2 hours because the ride kept breaking down. Also, the theme is a pretty cool futuristic theme. I enjoy it.

Kramerica

Some of us may be a bit nostalgic for Test Track 1.0. But let's be honest, it was pretty beat up and needed a change. Like others have said, it's all down to opinion, but I personally love the new digital, Tron inspired theme. And if it weren't for the nostalgic feelings towards the first version, I think most would agree.

Glasgow

One word - unimpressed. Sorry, but going from a cohesive story line to a flashy, nonsensical ride-through (albeit fun) is not my idea of progress. Yes, TT1.0 needed some changes and refurbs but I personally think they missed on this one. Still enjoyed riding the new one, mind you, but thought it was a step backwards in terms of originality and cohesive theming. Just my $0.02 .. Hope you like it, my review notwithstanding!

FutureCEO

The original Test Track might have been dated but at least it was better than this monstrosity. It's like taking Figment and Dreamfinder and putting in the current version. Way too much audience participation going on with the room key and everything about designing you own car. That part didn't even work either.

FettFan

Can anyone tell me what it's like? Is it still like the original or is it different?
Please tell me! :happy:

To put it bluntly: The new Test Track sucks because Disney half-assed it.

There is nothing really different about the actual ride itself, except they turned the lights off and have neon Tron decorations. For instance, the antilock brakes test where you skid out and regain control? It's still there. Now they just have a big screen showing a liquid-neon rainstorm.
The tree-top hills and trucker that you nearly crash into are still there, now only done up like Tron.

Most damning of all is the "design your own car" feature that was so hyped during the conversion has absolutely no bearing on the ride itself. Every now and then you will drive past a screen that shows the top four cars designed by the people in your ride vehicle and how they performed in the simulated test. That is the extent of designing your own car, until the post show area when you can use your designed car on simulated racetracks and video games.

Ultimately, Test Track 2.0 is a failure. You aren't learning anything about cars or about the design process (especially since the majority of the designs I witnessed in the post show were ungainly stupid-looking things. Like the Bat-Tumbler crossed with a drag racer, but given 10' tall wheels for kicks)....it's just a giant 3D Chevy commercial, and is quite possibly an even worse revamp than Journey Into Imagination.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom