New stage in Tomorrowland

TimeTrip

Original Poster
Just when you thought the stage had gone for good, they put another one back in there. This one is called the "Astro Stage". It looks about as permament as the old stage. Only real difference is that it faces towards the Indy Speedway instead of towards the Orbiter. Speaking of the orbiter, that one planet that was mounted is now gone. Sorry I don't have any pictures but it was nighttime and nothing was going to come out ;)

Disney_Belle

I wonder what the stage will be for. I remember they had a temporary one for a dance competition a few years back in tomorrowland. As long as they dont make a stitch stage show lol. i guess we will wait and see

nicholas

Maybe I'm just confused, so bear with me...

But isn't there already a stage in Tomorrowland? A rather large one. The Galaxy Palace Theatre. And I have NEVER seen it being used. Maybe I'm just always there at the wrong time, but it's always sat empty. So why add another stage when there is a completely vacant one already?

barnum42

nicholas said:

But isn't there already a stage in Tomorrowland? A rather large one. The Galaxy Palace Theatre. And I have NEVER seen it being used. Maybe I'm just always there at the wrong time, but it's always sat empty. So why add another stage when there is a completely vacant one already?
You are correct. It's been many a long year since I save the Galaxy Theatre in use. They used to do character shows there. I have a chunk of one from the Late Eighties on video.

The temporary stage was used for school band concerts and dance school shows. I assume the same will be true of the new one.

MagliteL13

If memory serves me right, I remember hearing something about it being for Magic Music Days. A friend of mine told me it would be down in June or July ( I can't remember).

TimeTrip

Original Poster
There is always magic music days.. all year round. :) As a matter of fact, while the Tomorrowland Stage was removed recently, some MMD performances took place in the Galaxy Palace theater.

PhilharMagician

Mickey's Twas the Night Before Christmas show is held in the Galaxy Theater during the MVMCP in December 2004. This is the only thing I have ever seen going on in the theater.

Disney_Belle

PhilharMagician said:
Mickey's Twas the Night Before Christmas show is held in the Galaxy Theater during the MVMCP in December 2004. This is the only thing I have ever seen going on in the theater.

Me also which is a shame because it is a nice theater.

mkepcotmgmak

i've thought for a while, that a nice Buzz Lightyear defeating the evil Emperor Zurg with the help of little green alien men would be a good show to use in the Galaxy Palace Theater.

i hate wasted space, and all this theater is good for is collecting dust.

Yukinon

nicholas said:

One time a couple years ago near the 4th of July we saw something going on down there when we were riding the Wedway (now called Tomorrowland Transit Authority but will always be the Wedway to my heart!) but by the time we got off the show was over I guess it was something special with the characters for the 4th of July season.

They really should put a more permanent show in there, not just use it so sporatically.

ddank

does this mean sonny eclipse is back for our listening pleasures? I understand his stage was hosting these performances before when the old outdoor stage went down.

nicholas

Sonny was back a month ago when I was there.

And I still don't understand why if the big stage is so rarely used, why they just can't put what they plan on putting on this new stage there. Seems stupid to me.

PeeplMoovr

I saw the new stage on Sunday and while it was pretty big, it didn't look nearly as permanent to me as the one recently removed. The surrounding landscaping was potted (and moveable) plants only, and the stage itself looks easy to take down (sort of an exhibition-type stage, made to be easily disassembled).
I did see the Galaxy Theater being used as recently as last month, although I can't remember what for.
Hopefully this stage is temporary. I'm guessing it is, mostly by the type of construction and surrouding landscaping.

Bring back the Galaxy Theater!!!

FamilyMan

Account Suspended
Okay.

There are 2 permanent stages in Tomorrowland. One is the Cosmic Ray's Stage. Sonny is actually on the roof of that stage. The entire thing actually rises up to reveal a stage. It was most recently used for Magic Music Days, small groups of HS Students used this stage, usually for singing.

The Galaxy Palace Theater is a full outdoor stage located between Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress and the Buzz Lightyear Giftshop. It has been used for Magic Music Days, and Mickey's twas the Night Before Christmas most recently.

Now, a thrid stage, called the Tomorrowland Stage, was removed last year. It was a pretty permanent structure, located in front of the old Skyway Station. It is gone now. Temporary stages are now erected in that location on an as-needed basis. That is what is in place now. It is used for Magic Music Days and special events like Grad Night, Night of Joy, etc. Since it's only a temporary setup, it can face any direction.

Also, some really odd fact, after the Tomorrowland Stage was removed, Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress Attendance increased dramatically, and shortly after the stage was removed, Carousel of Progress was moved out of the reduced hours status, and now runs with the park hours.

Hope that clears it up for ya. :)

barnum42

FamilyMan said:
Also, some really odd fact, after the Tomorrowland Stage was removed, Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress Attendance increased dramatically, and shortly after the stage was removed, Carousel of Progress was moved out of the reduced hours status, and now runs with the park hours.
This is did not know, but am happy to hear! Thanks.

speck76

One thing to consider is that temporary structures in Florida can only be erected ( :lookaroun ) for a max of I believe 6 or 9 months, and then they must be taken down, for at least 1 day. We use a 44,000 sq ft temporary structure at one hotel that I work with, typically, it is up from Jan-Jun, down in July/Aug, and up again from Sep-mid december.....the only time this was different was last summer when it was up, then blown down, then up, then blown down, then put up, then blown down, then put back up. :lol:

FYI, the Epcot MMD stage was recently put back up, after being removed at about the same time as the old Tomorrowland stage last year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom