News New sponsor coming to Walt Disney World's Splash Mountain

gljvd

There are recycling containers all over the parks....yet plastic straws and plastic lids and plastic bags in stores have been banned.
So why even have recycling containers?

Most likely because straws and lids are thrown into the regular trash and are thus sent to a landfill where they will sit for decades if not centuries. Right now there is nothing that eats plastic and so only the sun breaks plastic down and that can take a very long time , if its buried in a landfill it may never actually break down. With current landfills they use liners around the pits to stop stuff from entering the ground water. However because of this they are making coffins of crap where even things that take days or weeks to break down like bananas or apples wont actually break down and become mummified.

For Disney just removing plastic lids and straws means they don't need to pay for sorting garbage and they can hopefully focus on sending compost to special dumps that handle it and send the already sorted (by guests) plastics to a recycle center and the rest to a traditional dump.

LIke i said , e waste is just send to another country and stripped of its precious metals and just sits there either to be burned off or rot near rivers and over vast amounts of land. So if they can save phones in echange for plastic bags there shouldn't be an issue. If they have a bag recycle point after the line where you can return the bags so they can be recycled that would be even better

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Enter stupid guest trying to shove backpack into Ziploc bag.
6a00e54ecdaa8a88330133f0530fbd970b-500wi

It's coming folks, don't doubt me. There are many many many stupid people on this planet.

gljvd

So if they are in a landfill....then they aren't in the ocean, and the plastic is in a contained space.
So no need for a ban.

They may be in a landfill today and away from the ocean but that may not be true tomorrow. Also a lot of florida sits under the water table so any seepage will make its way into lakes and the ocean

Jambo Joe

This news is definitely upsetting to hear, especially with the overuse of plastics that we already see in our society! In my opinion, if someone needs to keep their devices dry for the ride, they should be responsible for bringing their own ziplock bags (and recycling stations should still be made available at the end of the ride). My hope is that Disney can come up with a way to manage the use and recycling of the bags... just imagine the mess the plastic will make, or how many animals could wind up eating the bags!
Upsetting? That seems a little dramatic. I certainly think it’s hysterical that the straw/lid/bag initiative was timed for release at the same time as the ziploc announcement. Poor coordination of messaging.

gljvd

Seepage now? Talk about moving the goalpost.

After decades of environmentalism enforced in this country since 1980 especially, suddenly we are polluting our oceans?
You do realize that China and India are the ones polluting the oceans right? It's not us.

As you said, WE have landfills. We put our waste into controlled locations or we recycle. For over 30 years that has been taught and enforced throughout the country. Banning straws, plastic lids or plastic bags is not going to solve anything especially when Disney sells a ton of plastic based products or products wrapped in plastic.

Plastic waste will always be there.

What do you think happens to items in landfills ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom