News New sponsor coming to Walt Disney World's Splash Mountain

LittleBuford

It was more that Disney could easily instruct customers to toss their drink cups into a separate container, removing the plastic from the regular waste stream. But they won't, because that would likely cost money. There are things they themselves could do but won't because of the cost, and instead put on the PR dog-and-pony show of removing straws because "it's a feel-good story".

It's bigger than Disney. Not every straw given out in the parks is going to get thrown away in the parks. I don't doubt that PR is a huge factor in all this, but if the environment is being helped as a consequence, who cares?

Lensman

@JohnD mentioned this earlier in the thread back in July before the sponsorship was officially supposed to start:
Ziploc bags are handed out today.
Does this mean that Ziploc bags were always handed out on Splash?

In which case all the agonizing is much ado about nothing, which would be hilarious!

But then again, the degree of irony depends on the historical facts. :)

JohnD

@JohnD mentioned this earlier in the thread back in July before the sponsorship was officially supposed to start:

Does this mean that Ziploc bags were always handed out on Splash?

In which case all the agonizing is much ado about nothing, which would be hilarious!

But then again, the degree of irony depends on the historical facts. :)

Appreciate the call out but I was riffing on Zip A Dee Do Dah with a new verse. Sorry, wasn’t trying to make news then.

Lensman

Yeah, but those are MY towels. They are not used by anyone but someone in my family, and if a guest uses my towels, those towels are washed with bleach at the end of the day.

Also ALWAYS throw your towels on the floor. When you shower after being in the parks, you haven't gotten all of the funk off of you yet. The towels finish wiping off the rest of the funk. So reusing towels in the hotel mean you are subjecting yourself to the previous days funk from the parks that you tried to wash off.
You need to scrub harder. :) Either that or "lather, rinse, repeat". :)

I use an exfoliating scrub towel so I'm pretty sure that the only thing the drying towels are getting off of me is water and maybe a little residual soap. lol

Honestly I don't understand who is using your hotel towels other than you or your family, unless you're talking about the fact that in a hotel there's more of a chance of mixing up your towel with the one your wife or kids have used. (Whereas at home you can color-code your towels or can have your designated side of the towel bar. lol)

LittleBuford

Yeah, but those are MY towels. They are not used by anyone but someone in my family, and if a guest uses my towels, those towels are washed with bleach at the end of the day.

Also ALWAYS throw your towels on the floor. When you shower after being in the parks, you haven't gotten all of the funk off of you yet. The towels finish wiping off the rest of the funk. So reusing towels in the hotel mean you are subjecting yourself to the previous days funk from the parks that you tried to wash off.

As you yourself point out, there’s an easy solution to this non-problem: just throw your towels on the floor if you want them changed daily. For my part, I’m satisfied that I’m basically funk-free after each shower, so I hang my towel back up and happily reuse it the next day.

Also, I’m not sure what you mean about others using your towel. No-one has access to them while you’re out other than the housekeeper, who touches them regardless of whether you’re reusing them or not.

UncleMike101

This news is definitely upsetting to hear, especially with the overuse of plastics that we already see in our society! In my opinion, if someone needs to keep their devices dry for the ride, they should be responsible for bringing their own ziplock bags (and recycling stations should still be made available at the end of the ride). My hope is that Disney can come up with a way to manage the use and recycling of the bags... just imagine the mess the plastic will make, or how many animals could wind up eating the bags!
Ummm.........
This is not about people being responsible.
It's about Disney being irresponsible by taking on a sponsor that is giving away limited use plastic bags to guests while at the same time taking away plastic straws and lids in the name of "saving the environment".
Disney is being hypocritical!
However under current Disney management this sort of behavior has become the norm if there's money to be made for Iger & Company.

dreamfinder

It was more that Disney could easily instruct customers to toss their drink cups into a separate container, removing the plastic from the regular waste stream. But they won't, because that would likely cost money. There are things they themselves could do but won't because of the cost, and instead put on the PR dog-and-pony show of removing straws because "it's a feel-good story".

My understanding was always that Disney had people/processes who sorted through all the waste anyway. People are stupid (apparently even more so when they are on vacation) and often ignore recycling bins/signs, so toss it all in the same bin regardless. Single stream recycling is a thing in some places, just costs more to do. And since WDW doesn't have multiple bins all over the place (plastic, metal and paper) they would appear to have chosen the more costly route. Which I think actually works to their benefit, last run by the treatment center I seem to recall they convert some crazy amount of the waste into energy or some such.

Lensman

I think someone here said Kali was the original target for Ziploc, but it (handing out plastic bags) clashed with the conservation theme of AK.

@Magic Feather posted it as a pet theory a few days ago. Seems like forever, right?
My personal theory is that they originally wanted to sponsor Kali with the “protect your phone logic” but the whole “no plastics in AK” thing threw a wrench into that plan, so they put it on splash. Plus, since Splash protects your phone anyway, nobody can say they got a faulty bad and their phone was damaged.

That's the only reference to Kali I found in this thread, though there have been some earlier suggestions regarding Kali.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom