News Space 220 Restaurant dining experience at Epcot's Future World

ToTBellHop

I just wish M:S was more of a pavilion like the Land or Seas where there were more things to do other then a ride and a bleh kids playground. It'd be nice to have a section dedicated to where spaceflight is going. It just feels so cramped and you feel rushed out once you exit the ride.
Me too. The post show could use some work. My kids love the playground, however. It’s necessary when coupled with a ride of its intensity. It also takes up very little real estate because they built up. The content elsewhere could be more educational, engaging, and modern however. Most museums have pretty good astronomy exhibits but I bet Disney could do better.

Goofyque'

I am another defender of MS. I love being selected for the mission, I love wildly flipping the switches, toggles and buttons, I love the feel of the stick in my hand, I love how responsible I feel when I save my team from certain death going over the cliff. We could play the team game afterwards for hours, and always have to do the videos and email our picture back home.

trainplane3

Me too. The post show could use some work. My kids love the playground, however. It’s necessary when coupled with a ride of its intensity. It also takes up very little real estate because they built up. The content elsewhere could be more educational, engaging, and modern however. Most museums have pretty good astronomy exhibits but I bet Disney could do better.
I don't have issue with the playground existing, it just feels like there should be more then what there is now. Aren't there photobooths too?

It just isn't attractive at all to me. I see the postride game area and keep walking because it looks so...boring? There's no thrill or discovery to me there. It feels like a cheap play area that I'd find at Safari Sam's (rip). Even the Imageworks has more of a thrill to it because of the lights, sounds, and amount of interactive but different things. And Imageworks looks rundown at this point too.

Showing off some tech they use in space, a short "what is it like to live on the ISS" video, and a "here's what humanity accomplished in the past 6 months for space exploration" video/diagram (to show how we are still pushing ahead regardless of "breaking" discoveries") would all be much more interesting plus keeping the playground for the kids because they need something too.

ToTBellHop

I don't have issue with the playground existing, it just feels like there should be more then what there is now. Aren't there photobooths too?

It just isn't attractive at all to me. I see the postride game area and keep walking because it looks so...boring? There's no thrill or discovery to me there. It feels like a cheap play area that I'd find at Safari Sam's (rip). Even the Imageworks has more of a thrill to it because of the lights, sounds, and amount of interactive but different things. And Imageworks looks rundown at this point too.

Showing off some tech they use in space, a short "what is it like to live on the ISS" video, and a "here's what humanity accomplished in the past 6 months for space exploration" video/diagram (to show how we are still pushing ahead regardless of "breaking" discoveries") would all be much more interesting plus keeping the playground for the kids because they need something too.
The current aesthetic is VERY 2003. That’s the trouble with going “futuristic.” I was surprised they didn’t update the interior design when the ride was refurbished a couple years back.

Incomudro

I'll defend Mission Space every day. Unique ride system, no IP, building looks very cool, fits FW. The only complaint ppl have abt it is entirely external to the ride itself. Unless your a baby lol

Yes, I think Mission Space is really cool.
My only issue with it is the near nausea I experience at zero G's, and that slingshot maneuver.
But I think the ride is amazing.

cosmicgirl

I've loved M:S since the first time I rode it in 2008 and honestly never understood why it wasn't more popular. My family won't ride it but they don't ride SM, either so that's not saying much.
I haven't been there since my concussion, though. I really hope I can still handle it. Rat was... an experience.
And if the restaurant opens in time I'd love to try that, too.

trainplane3

I've loved M:S since the first time I rode it in 2008 and honestly never understood why it wasn't more popular. My family won't ride it but they don't ride SM, either so that's not saying much.
I haven't been there since my concussion, though. I really hope I can still handle it. Rat was... an experience.
And if the restaurant opens in time I'd love to try that, too.
- The deaths
- The amount of warnings after said deaths

Those two reasons genuinely scare people. My own friends were scared to go on it because "this ride killed people". The victims had other medical issues the ride *possibly* triggered but it doesn't matter. Once someone dies on any high profile ride, it usually doesn't recover for a very long time.

If you didn't know anything about M:S and you walked up and saw signs posted about "extreme forces" everywhere, it'd scare you away or into doing Green.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I can't even do Green these days without an hour or two of not feeling well afterwards. Not really sure why, either, as Green doesn't spin.

You're experiencing a nocebo effect.

You need to take something that's supposed to help with motion sickness and elevates mood. Even if it's just New Age bunk or an old wives' tale. The antidote to a nocebo is a placebo, and placebos work even if you know it might be just a placebo.

I've advocated for planetariums for Future World for a long time. Educational, and, because it's just basically a screen on the ceiling, IP can be incorporated... at the behest of learning.

cosmicgirl

- The deaths
- The amount of warnings after said deaths

Those two reasons genuinely scare people. My own friends were scared to go on it because "this ride killed people". The victims had other medical issues the ride *possibly* triggered but it doesn't matter. Once someone dies on any high profile ride, it usually doesn't recover for a very long time.

If you didn't know anything about M:S and you walked up and saw signs posted about "extreme forces" everywhere, it'd scare you away or into doing Green.
BTM is just as popular now as it was before the accident, though, so I don't think that's it. And surely people have died after riding other attractions due to some underlying condition they were not aware of. Yet those rides aren't less popular because of it.

As for the warnings: as far as Disney parks go I found the original SM in DLP (de la Terre à la Lune) to have the scariest warnings. There was a TV pretty much around every corner of the queue warning you about the extreme ride and, if anything, it built the excitement and attracted more people rather than scare them away. M:S is simply highly underrated imo.

Lensman

You're experiencing a nocebo effect.

You need to take something that's supposed to help with motion sickness and elevates mood. Even if it's just New Age bunk or an old wives' tale. The antidote to a nocebo is a placebo, and placebos work even if you know it might be just a placebo.
For motion sickness, I recommend ginger candy or crystallized ginger as great placebos. They're very tasty, even when you're not worried about motion sickness!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I am another defender of MS. I love being selected for the mission, I love wildly flipping the switches, toggles and buttons, I love the feel of the stick in my hand, I love how responsible I feel when I save my team from certain death going over the cliff. We could play the team game afterwards for hours, and always have to do the videos and email our picture back home.
Hey! Spoiler alert, please!!!

Rich Brownn

Mission: Space fits future world, sure, but fans will always hate it for what it took the life of. Also the attraction is really mediocre and the Advanced Training Lab is a sick joke
Its also a lot of mental gymnastics. You're in a pretend lab, pretending to be training for a mission, while inside an attraction itself that pretends to be the aforementioned pretend lab. Its like a box-in-a-box-in-a-box.

jmuboy

Back to the dining location.... any clues to exterior dressing for the walkway view near TT or the curved wall near the TT outdoor loop?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom