News Space 220 Restaurant dining experience at Epcot's Future World

PaulusUK

So has there been mention of what food will be served? I've read it's the Patina Restaurant Group that's operating the restaurant. Not sure what they have in mind...

Rteetz

From Bioreconstruct

A6F12CB3-D474-49F7-94A2-BCFBE402543A.jpeg
3428BD0C-8F3B-4B4C-AAB2-FCEC744EF170.jpeg

Nubs70

I doubt there will be any magnification as that could ruin the effect with many technical issues introduced. Also in reference to 180's thought, the direction of projection can change the throw. Reason is obvious if you look at the projection method used for advanced flight simulators. In those systems, to achieve a longer throw, projection is done to mirrors before ultimately landing on a continuous curved surface screen. I'm not saying mirrors are required in the restaurant, as that looks to be a reasonable throw adjustable with lenses (best guess from photos obviously). Mirrors are used to reduce the physical distance between the projector and the screen while increasing the throw distance.

In order to achieve the full effect, large glass windows should be in place with the screen to the outside (away) from the glass. This ensure safety of separation for guests, provides reflectivity of the restaurant space making you "feel contained", and as @marni1971 indicated with the room size, a BOAT load of high intensity liquid cooled commercial grade DLP projectors. Most likely 4k and similar to those used for the projection mapping of the castle & such.

Any projection inside the dining room would be for effects within the dining room, so it's possible. I did a gig at Bloomberg in NY a while back and they had all sorts of video internally, including projections of news & stock data onto glass walls with hidden projectors. So I'd say anything is fair game if it creates the illusion of space living within budget. It's safe to say audio will also be a key player with the low frequency hum in the background, and all sorts of visual related queues.
Projection should be no issue. If anyone had the opportunity to see Roger Waters Us and Them, the starfield projection was highly detailed and immersive. This is projected across an arena.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom