News Space 220 Restaurant dining experience at Epcot's Future World

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Does anyone have a list of in-park restaurants NOT owned and operated by Disney? I would think that the more immersive an experience you want to create, the greater advantage to having Disney staff/operate it... but maybe I'm wrong...

Patina group runs Tutto Italia and Via Napoli, Landry's run's Yak and Yeti and Rainforest Café, and Mitsukoshi runs Teppan Edo in Epcot. There may be others.

JaxFLBear

Does anyone have a list of in-park restaurants NOT owned and operated by Disney? I would think that the more immersive an experience you want to create, the greater advantage to having Disney staff/operate it... but maybe I'm wrong...
Patina group runs Tutto Italia and Via Napoli, Landry's run's Yak and Yeti and Rainforest Café, and Mitsukoshi runs Teppan Edo in Epcot. There may be others.
All of the restaurants at the following Epcot Pavilions are operated by a 3rd party: Mexico, China, Italy, Japan, Morocco and France

MickeyMinnieMom

All of the restaurants at the following Epcot Pavilions are operated by a 3rd party: Mexico, China, Italy, Japan, Morocco and France
OK -- so a mixed bag IMO in terms of quality - thanks. There's no "theming" in any of those to speak of, though, except in Epcot the servers being from those countries.

IF the space restaurant is to be more heavily themed in some way, I still think there would be benefits to it being WDC owned/staffed... like you'd want CMs there, not just servers... like 50's Prime Time or Skipper Canteen...

donaldtoo

They shoulda’ just built it like this...

712B6A34-3652-419D-9290-849058B1C782.png

More appropriate theming, woulda’ saved room for somethin’ else on the ground below, and better noise separation from TT.

;)

donaldtoo

One could say it's been decades since they have "cared" about those skylines...

Indeed, but, it just appears to be so much more all-around blatant in more recent years.
Of course, as just 2 (3?) examples, the Swalphin has been intruding on World Showcase since ‘90, and ToT since ‘94.
At least with ToT they tried to make the top half-ish of the attraction facade meld somewhat with the Morocco pavilion.
But, to me anyway, it seems to be getting blatantly worse...JMO.

sedati

Indeed, but, it just appears to be so much more all-around blatant in more recent years.
Of course, as just 2 (3?) examples, the Swalphin has been intruding on World Showcase since ‘90, and ToT since ‘94.
At least with ToT they tried to make the top half-ish of the attraction facade meld somewhat with the Morocco pavilion.
But, to me anyway, it seems to be getting blatantly worse...JMO.
I'd take the Soarin building or Guardians over the Swan and Dolphin because they don't throw the scale off because they lack windows or a discernable way of determining their number of floors. Seeing a recognizable object like a hotel in the distant background that operates by a different scale from the one in the foreground just messes with the brain. That's why seen TOT isn't so bad- it's not just the coloring that matches, it uses the same tricks of forced perspective, and so they sit together properly.

Ideally, we should have nothing from in park that doesn't appear intentional and harmoniously on theme.

Last edited:

donaldtoo

I'd take the Soarin building or Guardians over the Swan and Dolphin because they don't throw the scale off because they lack windows or a discernable way of determining their number of floors. Seeing a recognizable object like a hotel in the distant background that operates by a different scale from the one in the foreground just messes with the brain. That's why seen TOT isn't so bad- it's not just the coloring that matches, it uses the same tricks of forced perspective, and so they sit together properly.

Ideally, we should have nothing from in park that doesn't appear intentional and harmoniously on theme.

Again, I just brought up two general examples, regardless of the merits (or not) of their respective scales, use of forced perspective, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom