New RunDisney Virtual Run

fvrs7189

Original Poster
So I am a AP holder and was in the Events and Special Offers Section yesterday. I came across a broken link called something to the fact of "RunDisney Virtual Shorts 5k Run". The description briefly said you can run your own 5k at home and receive a "Disney medal". Since the link did not work I called RunDisney and got transferred eventually to customer care. She said it was a new offer that was not currently available but the link would work when it was available. Well today I went back and the offer is gone! Guess I was not supposed to see it. Anyway, does anyone know what this is or how this will work? (Besides the sarcastic obvious .... you run a 5k and you get a medal....) Any rumors?

Oh and I know... I know... forgot to get a screenshot yesterday... my bad!

FerretAfros

The link is now live on the runDisney website:
http://www.rundisney.com/virtual-running-shorts/

Personally, the whole thing seems silly (at best...more realistically it seems like a scam) to me. People pay the Disney premium for a Disney experience, not for a run through their own neighborhood at home. I'm sure this will help filter out some of the people who register for the races simply for the medals, with no intention of training or completing the distance, but it seems like a pure cash grab to me

It also claims that this is in support of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, but I would want to know exactly how much of the registration goes to them before I'd even consider it. Typically runDisney's "celebratory charities" get little more than free advertising from their events, so I would be especially skeptical about one where runners aren't even forced to hear about it in the start corrals

MiamiMatt01

I am one of those people that justifies paying a little extra to do runDisney events, but to me this is just going too far. I am all for getting people out to run, but it doesn't even seem like that is required of this "race." Why not just sell medals at the Disney store? With the amount of local races all of the country, people have to be able to find a 5k for less than $39, with added incentive of actually having a race to compete in. Are we getting to a point where people just want to pay for medals and accomplishments, and Disney is standing by ready to take advantage?

DManRightHere

Wow. I completely misunderstood what this was. I thought it was guides around WDW where you could run a 5k on your own. Not just run at home. This is a bit silly.

At best, this could be beneficial for teens/kids as an encourage by parents at home, but prices need to kick down a bit.

Figment82

I completed a couple virtual races through the Hogwarts Running Club (a Hedwig Memorial 5K and a Platform 9 3/4K ;)). Each race cost $25 but the majority of the cost went to their respective charities and the rest covered the logistics/medals/etc. When I first read through the details about runDisney's version, I was thinking, "sure this sounds fun, I'm game" then I scrolled down to the prices. :eek:

I'm with you guys - I typically run a 5K twice a week (I'm planning on one tonight as well) and a longer one on weekends. I did the Harry Potter ones as a fun charity event with nice HP-themed medals as a bonus. Almost $150 for 3 5Ks, and underwhelming medals (I guess they think people will be pleased they're not those rubber medallions)? Err... No, sorry, I'll stick to the equally overpriced events that actually occur on property.

FOH Jim

I hope they do this for longer races. Last year I trained 28 weeks, and ran the half Marathon. (I'm not a runner) My medal is a cherished reward for a lot of work. If they make it the equivalent of going to the store and buying one, I might get grumpy! (not the dwarf)

Mad Stitch

Yesterday I saw something funky going on in the events menu on the runDisney site. Now I know why.

I have never liked the idea of virtual races. The only way I'd ever do one is if I knew all of the proceeds were going to a good charity. This just seems like a money grab aimed at the the everyone gets a trophy generation.

img_0066.jpg

Last edited:

gdrj

This is just stupid. Next Iger will be selling Virtual AP's that will reward you with virtual FP+ as you walk the aisles in your local supermarket. If you that doesn't make any sense....exactly my point!

KikoKea

At the risk of getting trampled, let me just say that for some, this might be an incentive. I have recently begun walking as part of a program to become healthier, lose weight, help my joints, and generally feel better. I've worked up to about 18min/mile for 3 miles 4 times a week and attending a Disney 5k event is a dream of mine. I'm not fast enough yet for the Disney pace, but I'll keep working at it. Believe me, I've spent much more than $39 on junk like diet drinks, etc. If this serves as an incentive and helps me push myself to eat better, train harder, and not give up, then I think it is a $39 well spent.

For runners who enjoy collecting the awards, I can see how they might enjoy this. If you have no opportunity to actually attend a Disney run, then this could be the best option. Honestly, I'd rather spend $39 on this than a dessert party any day, so guess it is really up to the individual to decide what's worth it or important.

I had thought they would link this with an app like Map My Run for verification. For those that would simply pay for the award and not earn it...they've gained nothing (and usually fool no one.) For someone like to me actually earn it...wow!:joyfull:

**moving to the side to let the faster runners by:)**

disneyworld07

I do wish that proof was required to give the event a bit more of a feeling of achievement HOWEVER, I think its a great opportunity for runners who are only just starting out.
Obviously it's a money making opportunity for Disney, but its also an incentive for beginner runners, for whom a 5K is an achievement. Its a chance to feel inspired to continue, a reminder of what is to come, a chance to feel a part of a running community etc.

I do agree however that there should be proof of having completed the 5Ks, even if no time limit was imposed. It would feel more of a real accomplishment in this way and less of a blatant money grab.

It has its flaws, but I think it has potential to be a great mood booster for the struggling beginners and Disney enthusiasts.

asianway

At the risk of getting trampled, let me just say that for some, this might be an incentive. I have recently begun walking as part of a program to become healthier, lose weight, help my joints, and generally feel better. I've worked up to about 18min/mile for 3 miles 4 times a week and attending a Disney 5k event is a dream of mine. I'm not fast enough yet for the Disney pace, but I'll keep working at it. Believe me, I've spent much more than $39 on junk like diet drinks, etc. If this serves as an incentive and helps me push myself to eat better, train harder, and not give up, then I think it is a $39 well spent.

For runners who enjoy collecting the awards, I can see how they might enjoy this. If you have no opportunity to actually attend a Disney run, then this could be the best option. Honestly, I'd rather spend $39 on this than a dessert party any day, so guess it is really up to the individual to decide what's worth it or important.

I had thought they would link this with an app like Map My Run for verification. For those that would simply pay for the award and not earn it...they've gained nothing (and usually fool no one.) For someone like to me actually earn it...wow!:joyfull:

**moving to the side to let the faster runners by:)**
Disney doesn't sweep the 5ks you'd be fine at 18.

margybear

I do wish that proof was required to give the event a bit more of a feeling of achievement HOWEVER, I think its a great opportunity for runners who are only just starting out.
Obviously it's a money making opportunity for Disney, but its also an incentive for beginner runners, for whom a 5K is an achievement. Its a chance to feel inspired to continue, a reminder of what is to come, a chance to feel a part of a running community etc.

I do agree however that there should be proof of having completed the 5Ks, even if no time limit was imposed. It would feel more of a real accomplishment in this way and less of a blatant money grab.

It has its flaws, but I think it has potential to be a great mood booster for the struggling beginners and Disney enthusiasts.
^ THIS. I think it's a bit flawed in it's execution, but I suppose for me, if I were taking part, I'm thinking I could pay $39 to do it at home and do my normal run, and get some degree of participation with Disney, or spend thousands of dollars to do it in FL/CA. I'm in the UK and even getting to Disneyland Paris is incredibly expensive. I can get off my backside and take part, in a Disney 5k, which, previously, I could not do due to travel expenses.
But my main gripe is no proof (so many running apps are free, or use pedometers?) and that I don't know how much of the $39 really goes to charity. I'm happier to pay $39, even though it's a much higher price, if I know that a decent % goes to the charity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom