New rules for those who like to book room only before packages released - you can't anymore!

dreday3

Original Poster
No more booking room only over the phone at 499 days out. Oh I would be so stressed if I were going in January and couldn't book until June. I'm that person that already has our cruise booked for 2024! 😂

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
No more booking room only over the phone at 499 days out. Oh I would be so stressed if I were going in January and couldn't book until June. I'm that person that already has our cruise booked for 2024! 😂

It appears that WDW is making a serious attempt to keep people from coming back.

dreday3

Original Poster
It appears that WDW is making a serious attempt to keep people from coming back.

I'm trying to understand the reason for this change.

They don't like people booking room only, then changing to packages when those are released - too much call times? Do they lose money this way?
Are the rates cheaper when you book that far in advance because next year's rates aren't out yet?

At any rate - if they are going to do this then they should make an effort to release the next year's packages before June! :oops:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!

They don't like people booking room only, then changing to packages when those are released - too much call times? Do they lose money this way?
Are the rates cheaper when you book that far in advance because next year's rates aren't out yet?

At any rate - if they are going to do this then they should make an effort to release the next year's packages before June! :oops:
They're suspending it, IMHO, until they figure out a way to monetize the pre-package reservation system.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

This aligns closer with other US hotels and resorts, where you are typically lucky if you can book beyond a year out. Rolling in availability that far in advance is maybe not the best way to handle revenue management at these properties. 🤷‍♂️

Ayla

I think you're on the right track that people are saving money by booking at this year's rates instead of higher future rates.

dreday3

Original Poster
I think you're on the right track that people are saving money by booking at this year's rates instead of higher future rates.

I think so too. People always said you are paying the next year's rates, but I know when we did it once, the rate we got for Boardwalk was for that booking year (2019) and when packages came out for the next year (2020), those rates were higher. Of course that was 2020 and we cancelled anyways so couldn't take advantage. 😂

matt9112

Makes sense honestly. I think they could simply change verbiage etc and let people know that the prices are locked in 1 year blocks so to speak. If you are more than 365 out they let you know hey your going to be in next years rates. Vs now (still allow payments etc just with difference due when new rates come out) ?

aaronml

Were enough people booking room-only in advance of the “annual product release” to really warrant this change? Seems extremely odd…

I’ve never known folks to book rooms that far in advance to save money…. usually it is to book a room / suite that is harder to get due to limited availability / a popular time of the year.

Disstevefan1

Because COVID Unprecedented Demand ;)

nickys

Premium Member
Makes sense honestly. I think they could simply change verbiage etc and let people know that the prices are locked in 1 year blocks so to speak. If you are more than 365 out they let you know hey your going to be in next years rates. Vs now (still allow payments etc just with difference due when new rates come out) ?
But this change means that if you want to stay in the winter months you won’t be able to book more than 6-7 months ahead. So even having the prices locked for a calendar year won’t help in that situation.

I wonder if it’s something to with trying to stop the practice of locking in a room and then changing to a package once prices are released? I guess that practice maybe affected how many packages they could sell.

nickys

Premium Member
Also this creates a problem for those wanting to stay for the marathon weekend in January.

And this could also affect International bookings for the Winter months. It’s not uncommon here in the U.K. to book a year ahead. Flights can often be booked 10 months ahead so this is a big disincentive to staying onsite if you want to go in the first few months of the year.

And often come January, not only are they pushing packages for the current year, they’re encouraging people to pre-reserve for the following year.

dreday3

Original Poster
And I suppose this would mean bounce back offers are never coming back? Or I wonder if they will use those as a kind "discount" to get people to book for the next year...

matt9112

But this change means that if you want to stay in the winter months you won’t be able to book more than 6-7 months ahead. So even having the prices locked for a calendar year won’t help in that situation.

I wonder if it’s something to with trying to stop the practice of locking in a room and then changing to a package once prices are released? I guess that practice maybe affected how many packages they could sell.

Wouldn’t surprise me. The two legitimate vacations I planned I did this. Set up around free dining on purpose and than called in for the deal.

I have no dog left in the fight. A place I find so magical might as well be on the moon these days. And I live in Florida now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom