New Rule: For orders placed after 10/1, guests must be present to meet mobility vendor deliverypersons

PrincessNelly_NJ

Sure. And it's the same reason why we considered renting a stroller on our last trip. However, the convenience of having our own device outweighed the potential damage. If you decide the opposite, no biggie. As others have said, there is a vendor that Disney will allow to do drop-offs so that is still an option. I don't see an issue with what Disney did here.
Its much easier to replace a damaged stroller than a wheelchair. But this entire thread would have played out much differently if it was announced that they were really dropping 3 of the 4 authorized providers not doing anyway with the option entirely.

lazyboy97o

That's my concern...haven't ever heard of them in more than 6 years of following the Disney forums and FB groups.
They’re parent company, now Safemark, makes the strollers, wheelchairs and ECVs that are offered for rental at Disney, Universal and SeaWorld.

Does Disney still manage in-park rentals themselves? Seems like it’d be easier to just outsource the entire mobility rental business for all of Walt Disney World.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Full disclosure here - we drive to Orlando now with both a wheelchair and an ECV in the back of the full size van required to carry them. This way we know we will have what we need when we get there.

ImperfectPixie

They’re parent company, now Safemark, makes the strollers, wheelchairs and ECVs that are offered for rental at Disney, Universal and SeaWorld.

Does Disney still manage in-park rentals themselves? Seems like it’d be easier to just outsource the entire mobility rental business for all of Walt Disney World.
I hope they switch to the strollers offered by the company they selected - those hard plastic in-park strollers can't possibly be comfortable, nor are they suitable for infants and smaller toddlers.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Delays happen. As I said earlier, we were scheduled to arrive at 4pm and didn't arrive until 12:30am due to a flight delay.
Sounds like you did all you could, unless you could have scheduled your flight to arrive earlier in the day. Seasoned travelers will tell you that the earlier you fly, the better your chances of getting where you're going in a reasonable time frame.
Its much easier to replace a damaged stroller than a wheelchair. But this entire thread would have played out much differently if it was announced that they were really dropping 3 of the 4 authorized providers not doing anyway with the option entirely.
Perhaps. It still wouldn't prevent someone from renting and then scheduling a delivery to coincide with their arrival.

scottieRoss

Disney did not make the announcement. A stroller company made the announcement and got all of the facts wrong. No Disney to blame this time

mhead

That's my concern...haven't ever heard of them in more than 6 years of following the Disney forums and FB groups.

That's funny because they are the only company we have used for ECV's since Disney made the preferred vendor decisions (we always used Walker Mobility before that). It was just luck of the draw when we went to the list of preferred vendors all those years ago that we selected them but have been very pleased!

We have only had one problem - when the wheel on one ECV came off just as we got to EPCOT - we called Scooterbug and they had a replacement to us right there within 10 minutes. Have always gotten great service from them.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Sounds like you did all you could, unless you could have scheduled your flight to arrive earlier in the day. Seasoned travelers will tell you that the earlier you fly, the better your chances of getting where you're going in a reasonable time frame.

Perhaps. It still wouldn't prevent someone from renting and then scheduling a delivery to coincide with their arrival.
We travel quite often and are well aware that flying earlier is always the better option but sometimes you have to take what the flight schedules offer...

PrincessNelly_NJ

Disney did not make the announcement. A stroller company made the announcement and got all of the facts wrong. No Disney to blame this time
Who was blaming Disney for how it was announced?

Stating that the response would have been different if it was clear than the option was staying just only with one company is just an opinion. Every Disney forum, Facebook group, and Disney news site reported it incorrectly which caused people to get upset. That's all

PrincessNelly_NJ

Kingdom Strollers released a video announcing that outaide vendors could not deliver to bell services andnit was picked up by many Disney sites. However, Disney has not made any announcements
Kingdom strollers reported it first but almost every other company that offered the service minus scooterbug reported it. To which we now know why. But either way it doesn't really.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
This seems pretty clear to me:

When Disney Resort hotel Guests choose to rent through ScooterBug, Cast Members will work with ScooterBug to manage deliveries and returns of rented strollers, ECVs, and wheelchairs so the Guest does NOT need to be present when the equipment is delivered to their hotel; on the other hand, Guests who choose to rent from another third-party company will have to work directly with the vendor to arrange the delivery and return of their rented strollers, ECVs, and wheelchairs.

Goofyernmost

disney - or any company - really can’t get in between a guest and an outside vendor. Receiving has no way of knowing what was ordered. It’s not their job to make sure it’s in working order. They can’t decide if dings, scratches, torn seats are unacceptable or a compromise for a cheaper rental.

bottom line - it sounds like there is still an authorized vendors. Guests will have to decide what is more important - delivery to bell services or a different company. In other words, there are still options.

while I’m sure the decision comes down to profit, I’m also betting operational concerns and liability we’re partial factors. And maybe even guest satisfaction if Disney was getting drawn into guest complaints with vendors.
Bull, They get between all kinds of vendors and guests. They call the rules on their properties. If they wish not to make it convenient for their guests I just guess that that is a risk they have to take. So in this case they are willing to help a guest that is using a service that Disney is undoubtedly receiving a little incentive from. For others its just tough for both the outside vendor and the guest. That is Customer Service violation. Don't look at is like it's legal, it is just a violation of the fading idea that they are always thinking of their guests.

We are talking about scooters, in my case. I have no idea how the Stroller thing works.

dreamfinder

This seems pretty clear to me:

It may, but it sounds like WDW communicated a change to the other vendors, without asking them to hold off on any announcements until a certain time, when WDW was ready to communicate the change publicly. This led to different vendors understanding the change differently, causing lots of chaos and confusion. There really was no need to rush out the change a day or two before it was implemented if they didn't have a clear communication strategy in place.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Bull, They get between all kinds of vendors and guests. They call the rules on their properties. If they wish not to make it convenient for their guests I just guess that that is a risk they have to take. So in this case they are willing to help a guest that is using a service that Disney is undoubtedly receiving a little incentive from. For others its just tough for both the outside vendor and the guest. That is Customer Service violation. Don't look at is like it's legal, it is just a violation of the fading idea that they are always thinking of their guests.

We are talking about scooters, in my case. I have no idea how the Stroller thing works.
Please explain the phrase "customer service violation" to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom