New Roundup Rodeo BBQ sit-down restaurant coming to TSL

Movielover

The similarity isn’t that you’re in a car, it’s that the car you’re in is the central focus of the attraction.
I'm sorry, I guess I completely missed the part in Test Track where your car has a face, goes tractor tipping, talks to a redneck tow truck that also has a face, and then races with another anthropomorphized car on a second parallel track around a mountain shaped like a car hood? I must have completely blacked out!

The other two are not, and it seems you completely missed the reasons why.
No I didn't, your argument is flawed.

Oh I forgot the train in MK and the train in AK
Both take you on a trip to a different location and both allow you to see backstage en-route. Same experience that means one has to go!

:rolleyes:

No Name

Lets see there's also HM and Little Mermaid,
China and Canada 360 films
MILF and Turtle Talk

Hope no one informs him that ROTR, MMRR, and Rat are all trackless rides. Clearly those are exactly the same experience on all 3...

Heck he probably hates riding the bus to AK since it's the exact same bus transportation to MK! ;)
This is cute but conveniently ignores the very specific reasons I gave that make RSR and TT distinctly similar.
I'm sorry, I guess I completely missed the part in Test Track where your car has a face, goes tractor tipping, talks to a redneck tow truck that also has a face, and then races with another anthropomorphized car on a second parallel track around a mountain shaped like a car hood? I must have completely blacked out!
This is becoming progressively less cute and now you’re pointing out specific details that are obviously different while missing the fact that the overarching stories are similarly based around the car ride vehicle.
Having the fast portion first would be anticlimactic.
Indeed it would be.

I actually never said I was against having both rides at WDW. But you all know guests would find them more similar then Buzz and HM for very specific reasons.

lazyboy97o

Apologies, slightly confused on exactly the ride system you are mentioning there?
The same one used for Spider-Man and Transformers. They’re cloning Transformers: The Ride - 3D for the Transformers land and building a new motion vehicle ride for Jurassic World.
I actually never said I was against having both rides at WDW. But you all know guests would find them more similar then Buzz and HM for very specific reasons.
No, I don’t know.

Movielover

bit obnoxious
missing the fact
conveniently ignores the very specific reasons

Well that's the pot calling the kettle black if I've ever seen it!

fact that the overarching stories are similarly based around the car ride vehicle
But they are completely different in every aspect. One is a physical car being used as a test platform to compare data between multiple virtual custom cars being driven around a test facility warehouse to simulate the tests that real cars go through during manufacturing. The other is a full blown narrative where guest board a friendly anthropomorphized animated car to take a nice drive through Radiator Springs, a completely fictional animated area of desert in California, before being caught up in the town's race with support from all the other anthropomorphized cars that live in said fictional animated town. literally the only thing these 2 rides have in common is that they share the same ride system that just happens to be a vehicle (which look completely different) that has 4 wheels above and 26 (I think) wheels below the track. The amount of straws that you are grasping at to say that these 2 rides share the same story/ experience and as such guest would not be able to tell the difference is so ridiculous that I have to assume that you are just trolling at this point.

The same one used for Spider-Man and Transformers. They’re cloning Transformers: The Ride - 3D for the Transformers land and building a new motion vehicle ride for Jurassic World.
Oh I am really out of the loop on that one, I had no idea they were doing that! Thanks,

At which resort? Edit: was answered above.

TikibirdLand

This is cute but conveniently ignores the very specific reasons I gave that make RSR and TT distinctly similar.

This is becoming progressively less cute and now you’re pointing out specific details that are obviously different while missing the fact that the overarching stories are similarly based around the car ride vehicle.

Indeed it would be.

I'd like to point out my favorite difference between RSR and TT: Your perspective. On TT, your perpective is on the car's dynamics (what makes it tick -- original was better, IMO). On RSR, the perspective is the scenery. The imagineers nailed it. I really feel like you're in the first movie! The mountains and scenery are perfect in every way. The focus is not on the track, it's on everything but that. The dark-ride portion of each is about "the car". But, again, I think the focus is different. TT is on how your car performs. In RSR, it's on the town's "family" trying to make your trip the best ever. I wish WDW had RSR; it's such a better experience!

aliceismad

Have you ever been on RSR? It feels and looks NOTHING like Test Track. There are multiple spinner rides and Dark Rides and Boat Rides and Roller Coasters and at no time does anyone say...Gee, Pirates Of The Caribbean is exactly like Small World... Or What a shame Buzz Lightyear and Haunted Mansion are so similar...I cant tell them apart!
I hate that argument that they cannot use one technology because there is a ride that uses the same system within the 4 theme parks. Let's put that argument to bed...
Yes, I've been on RSR. Yes, I agree it's nothing like Test Track in feel. It's a masterpiece. Test Track is something I go on because it's mildly entertaining. But the layout is similar and obviously the ride vehicles and general functionality are similar. Also, I've heard the exact same thing said about Indy - that Disney wouldn't put Indy into WDW because they already have Dinosaur, which looks and feels nothing like Indy and is a much poorer attraction.

For many rides, the operating system doesn't matter, but for some, people do notice. Would people care if Rat was an old-school omnimover vs. a trackless ride? I don't know. I haven't riden it. I understand that you have, so perhaps you have an opinion. I get the impression that people would ride it for the ambiance, story, and IP. Personally I don't think the ride system matters as much for that type of ride. For RSR/RR, to an outsider - the casual guest - they appear quite similar. If RSR was built at WDW, I feel like those casual guests might not waste their time waiting in the (stupidly long) line for Test Track knowing that RSR is a far superior experience. And if interest/satisfaction in Test Track goes down, that's bad for Epcot.

The Cars rides are better overall than TSL and that Carsland is a better land overall than TSL. It's not even close. Yes, they could've decided the IP fit (and they did by inserting the Racing Academy which we quite enjoyed, I'm sure others have their own opinions). But for a park that is supposed to celebrate the best movies in history, Cars is not as important as the Toy Story franchise. (And they already had TSMM in place to feed into the TSL.)

Should Disney have kept TSMM, added RSR, and then added some other rides from other Pixar movies? Maybe. I was just putting a guess out there as to part of why Disney went with TSL and not a Carsland clone (which is its own ball of wax). I'm sure the insiders know much better than I do how and why TSL came to be.

Also, for anyone who hasn't been on RSR, there's a side-by-side video with Test Track on youtube: .

Last edited:

Bocabear

I did forget Journey to the Center of the Earth and that one is pretty different. The other two are not, and you decided to completely ignore the reasons why.

And you downplayed them. The similarity isn’t that you’re in a car, it’s that the car you’re in is the central focus of the attraction. The stories share a similarity that cannot be said for any of your other examples. The pacing is indeed very similar with a fast portion at the end. Most guests will have never ridden another one of these rides unlike spinners and coasters. So again, these other examples you keep mentioning don’t hold a candle to this one.
you are wrong.
Rock N Rollercoaster is about being in a stretch limo...it is central to the story... It is a car.
Test track is a test car, RSR is a cartoon style car that races against other cars... While yes, you are in a car, the experience and story telling are worlds apart...
Ummm in Pirates you are supposed to be in a boat... just like Small World you are boarding a cruise around the world... The boat is part of the idea.
Do you think the first amusement park that put in a roller coaster didn't want to add any more because they already had one and another one would be too similar? Of course not... It is a ride system people love... Being in another park with a completely different feel and storyline makes it reasonable to do...
and who cares if there is another ride that uses a car when the IP is cars... By that logic the Tomorrowland Speedway should have been removed when they added Test Track because it is about being in a car.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom