New Roundup Rodeo BBQ sit-down restaurant coming to TSL

Stupido

it seems that people have more of an issue with the theming of Toy Story Land, as opposed to this restaurant specifically. This matches the rest of the land, and continues with the theme of a child building a playzone in their backyard. My friend who visited WDW for the first time in October loved this idea, and thought it was the most whimsical land out of all the parks. She immediately understood the concept that it was built by Andy, and felt it was a great idea for kids who love the IP. It took something they would do at home, and sprinkled the Disney Magic on top. If you don't like the concept for the land, that's totally cool. But it is thought out, and people immediately pick up on what Imagineering set out to do, so I call that a win.

I'm sure the food will be great too.

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

Not sure what people were expecting thematic wise. Its a fairly limited theme to begin with.
Honestly, I was expecting giant and beautifully-detailed replicas of the actual toy characters (e.g., Buzz, Woody, Rex, Mr. Potato Head) and their 3D accessories to be part of the decorating, with less reliance on "cardboard" art. When I was a kid and made a backdrop or a cardboard "house" for, say, my Barbies, I put actual Barbie furniture and Barbies inside -- not cardboard drawings of them. ;)

Before the concept art, anyway, I was really hoping this would give guests the same sense of being "shrunk" that we used to feel in the Honey, I Shrunk the Kids playground -- which was an expectation I think many of us had of the Toy Story Land itself, and were disappointed that Disney wasn't successful in doing. From the photos and video we've seen so far, it looks like they definitely didn't try to recapture that lost opportunity with this restaurant, either -- or at least, they didn't go far enough.

Last edited:

Indy_UK

Honestly, I was expecting giant and beautifully-detailed replicas of the actual toy characters (e.g., Buzz, Woody, Rex, Mr. Potato Head) and their 3D accessories to be part of the decorating, with less reliance on "cardboard" art. When I was a kid and made a backdrop or a "house" for, say, my Barbies, I put actual Barbie furniture and Barbies inside -- not cardboard drawings of them. ;)

Being a single mom, Andy’s Mom didn't have much money back then

note2001

I like Toy Story, I think the land is cute, I think the decor of this dining location is... annoying 😆

- BUT -
I am not the target audience
, and I would probably feel very different had I grown up with Toy Story verses with Star Wars, where I adore the Cantina and the entire location only wishing they had made the West coast version substantially different from the East coast's so that there would be more to visit and see.

I'm sure my kids will love this location. I'm sure their kids (when they have them) will love this location.
I just want the food to be representative of the prices charged :)

Casper Gutman

Not sure what people were expecting thematic wise. Its a fairly limited theme to begin with.
It shouldn’t be a very limited theme. There’s an incredible range of things they could have done with the “made out of toys” idea. What they produced is incredibly lackluster because of arbitrary limitations that placed on themselves. There is absolutely no reason, for instance, all the interior spaces have to be claustrophobic, with low flat ceilings - they feel like slightly decorated storage areas (which some of them are).

The theme is not an excuse for the fact that the land is simply very badly designed - it’s an awful, inefficient waste of space with a single dull pathway, nothing intriguing to explore, and a collection of banal rides. Adding a full service restaurant here, rather then anywhere else in the park, is another inexplicable design decision.

It really shocks me how universally these boards condemn Dinorama, a far better designed and themed area, while many posters scramble to defend TSL. The fact that Toy Story is a legitimately great IP makes it worse, not better. Honestly, I think a lot of it is attributable to how reluctant folks are to acknowledge the Studio makeover, so anticipated, so delayed, so needed, was ultimately quite bad.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

It really shocks me how universally these boards condemn Dinorama, a far better designed and themed area, while many posters scramble to defend TSL. The fact that Toy Story is a legitimately great IP makes it worse, not better. Honestly, I think a lot of it is attributable to how reluctant folks are to acknowledge the Studio makeover, so anticipated, so delayed, so needed, was ultimately quite bad.
These lands both have problems, but they’re distinct problems. Toy Story Land fails on execution (the “how”) and Dinorama has problems with people being able to immediately connect it with the overarching theme of the park (the “why”). No one wonders what Toy Story Land is trying to say or what story it’s trying to tell, even if it’s not well told. But many wonder why Dinorama exists within Animal Kingdom unless they do a bit of digging for the overall Dinoland narrative.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom