Rumor New ride coming to Animal Kingdom. D23 announcement expected.

Magic Feather

Since everyone's talking about Kali, I'll bite;

Kali River Rapids was designed to be Tiger River Run - the Asian counterpart to the iconic Kilimanjaro Safaris. So the rapids would presumably tame and the focus and draw of the ride would be that of Kilimanjaro Safaris. I presume that much like the poacher storyline of the Safari, the deforestation story of this ride would havw been secondary to wildlife.

The problem is that Tiger River Run was a poorly thought out ride. Rapids rides are not a good ride system for animal encountering; it's a terrible one. The rapids are problematic for the animals themselves, because they're loud and will cause stress for animal inhabitants, and the speed and general way of a rapid ride takes away from animal viewing; such a ride would need to be done with a boat similar to Jungle Cruise. So with that scrapped, you have Kali River Rapids.

Kali River Rapids is barebones as a concept without the animals. It is barebones because it:

1. Is too tame to rely all too much on thrills.
2. Does not have 'scenes' - only one. Scenes make the ride exciting, grandiose scenes are the fun climaxes of the ride. In Kali, there is only one scene so the rest is just wandering along a river; beautiful filler.
3. Is very thin on plot.
4. Without thrills, is far too short.

That said, if they put some money into it, it'd be a really good ride.
If I recall, TRR was to use a ride system much more similar to that of Jurassic Park at Universal, which would be much more capable of adjusting speed to be slow and calm or rapid when need be.

BlakeW39

The problems with Tiger River Run are no excuse for Kali to be an extremely weak and disappointing ride.

Grizzly River Run doesn't have any animals, show scenes or animatronics either, but it's still an incredibly fun ride.

If the right amount of money had been spent on Kali, it could've been that as well

Look at my post carefully.

The Tiger River Run doesn't excuse Kali. Kali is bad because it's too tame and/OR because it lacks storytelling.

If I recall, TRR was to use a ride system much more similar to that of Jurassic Park at Universal, which would be much more capable of adjusting speed to be slow and calm or rapid when need be.

Really? Concept art I've seen portray it with the same ride vehicle as Kali, and from my understanding they did cancel it due to zoological reasons - that is the stress it puts upon animals.

A Jurassic Park ride system would be better (though still not a good idea).

TOCPE82

Top of my head mainly the fire and fireball effects and associated sounds. I’ll have to dig to see what else. The lift misting was MIA for a while too.

It’s not something I tend to ride every trip.
Lift misting was there last week, and no fireball or chainsaw like effects. My kid liked it, but it was her first raft ride and she didn't know what she was missing.

The Duck

Since everyone's talking about Kali, I'll bite;

Kali River Rapids was designed to be Tiger River Run - the Asian counterpart to the iconic Kilimanjaro Safaris. So the rapids would presumably tame and the focus and draw of the ride would be that of Kilimanjaro Safaris. I presume that much like the poacher storyline of the Safari, the deforestation story of this ride would havw been secondary to wildlife.

The problem is that Tiger River Run was a poorly thought out ride. Rapids rides are not a good ride system for animal encountering; it's a terrible one. The rapids are problematic for the animals themselves, because they're loud and will cause stress for animal inhabitants, and the speed and general way of a rapid ride takes away from animal viewing; such a ride would need to be done with a boat similar to Jungle Cruise. So with that scrapped, you have Kali River Rapids.

Kali River Rapids is barebones as a concept without the animals. It is barebones because it:

1. Is too tame to rely all too much on thrills.
2. Does not have 'scenes' - only one. Scenes make the ride exciting, grandiose scenes are the fun climaxes of the ride. In Kali, there is only one scene so the rest is just wandering along a river; beautiful filler.
3. Is very thin on plot.
4. Without thrills, is far too short.

That said, if they put some money into it, it'd be a really good ride.
From what I recall, TTR was supposed to start off as a peaceful raft ride past various Asian animal exhibits and after a while, you would “Take a wrong turn” and then the rapids, thrill ride would begin.
If this was the original plan, the animals wouldn’t have been affected by the rapids as the exhibits would have been in a separate part of the ride.

BlakeW39

From what I recall, TTR was supposed to start off as a peaceful raft ride past various Asian animal exhibits and after a while, you would “Take a wrong turn” and then the rapids, thrill ride would begin.
If this was the original plan, the animals wouldn’t have been affected by the rapids as the exhibits would have been in a separate part of the ride.

Well I'd assume that they would separate them, but simply separating chronologically doesn't really prevent animals from constantly being beraded by screams and plunging. That's why the trails are so far off. Maybe they had a solution to this but didn't they cancel the ride specifically for this reason? That's what I remember.

Mainahman

Well I'd assume that they would separate them, but simply separating chronologically doesn't really prevent animals from constantly being beraded by screams and plunging. That's why the trails are so far off. Maybe they had a solution to this but didn't they cancel the ride specifically for this reason? That's what I remember.
Not to mention... large cats kinda like to swim ;)

Magic Feather

The Tiger River Run doesn't excuse Kali. Kali is bad because it's too tame and/OR because it lacks storytelling.

Really? Concept art I've seen portray it with the same ride vehicle as Kali, and from my understanding they did cancel it due to zoological reasons - that is the stress it puts upon animals.

Just a quick internet search shows these pieces of concept art.
A2E28A30-D8F5-484B-8F7B-45AA4DEB3CA4.jpeg
F7BCB36F-5A57-4EEB-98BB-438194968D96.jpeg
While it definitely would have issues, I know there are other “boat safari” rides out there.
For instance, I seem to recall hearing about one at a Mexican nature park called Xcaret.

jrogue

No Name

A good boat ride with animals alongside would be very difficult, perhaps impossible, to do with automated vehicles. They would likely need a CM on board having some sort of control of the boat’s movement as well as communication with other CMs. And today’s Disney tends to spend hundreds of millions to bring down ops costs rather than just spend tens of millions on ops because it looks slightly better on the balance sheet. Just one of many reasons it’ll likely never happen, unfortunately, and one of the reasons they have no intention of adding animals to the park. Animal Kingdom would’ve never been built under the Bobs.

RSoxNo1

I don’t think it’s one of the worst. Rapids rides are generally weak. Disney’s are better than most. Kali is merely Disney’s worst. Tiger Rapids Run would have been quite nice. And since the ride was built to be Asia’s E-ticket and the first “expansion” of the park (not exactly since it was already under construction when the park opened, but it opened just before the park’s first birthday) it shouldn’t have been value engineered.
Rapid rides have their place, the problem is this thing is so deep into the park that even on the hottest days, not many people want to walk a mile in soaking wet clothes.

Even Popeye and Bluto's which is an awesome ride, is one that I plan around my departure.

As for "fixing this ride", I'd love to see some of that queue theming extended into an indoor portion of the attraction.

RSoxNo1

r-1418831562-KaliRiverRapids2.jpg

r-1418831609-KaliRiverRapids3.JPG

r-1418832075-KaliRiverRapids4.jpg

r-1418832075-KaliRiverRapids5.jpg

r-1418831387-KaliRiverRapids1.JPG

bubbles1812

good heavens, never wetter
You can get pretty wet on Dudley Doo Right as well but Popeye’s definitely takes the cake. The best day my family ever had at Universal was when it poured rain one afternoon. We went on both must have been 5-6x each. We were already soaked by the rain so what did it matter? Lovely times for 13, 11, and 9 year olds. :)

Ironically, since we are talking about Kali... I’ve also gotten soaked on it. The stupid little waterfall at the end nailed myself and my middle brother. Everyone else? Totally dry. It’s not a great water ride.

Touchdown

I prepare for water rides, if I’m going to ride one I wear my tevas, swimsuit and a t shirt that dries quickly. Kali is fun but far lower on my list then it’s brother in California (#1) nor it’s cross town rival (#2 Popeyes, haven’t been on infinity falls yet)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom