New Refillable Mugs from 3/7/19

dreamfinder

No, all plastic mugs and paper cups (for those purchasing a beverage for single use) have rfid chips embedded in them. Disney is not going to change this revenue stream. šŸ˜‰

Some F&B managers actually have. Some of the hotels (deluxes I believe) turned the RFID off. The F&B manager at the hotel (or whatever their job title is) decided the loss in revenue isn't worth aggravating the guests. Pretty sure I saw someone using an in-park mug to fill up at WL last trip.

Thought they didnā€™t let you use those anymore after the chip readers were installed?

Some trolls just gotta troll. And see above....

tissandtully

Some F&B managers actually have. Some of the hotels (deluxes I believe) turned the RFID off. The F&B manager at the hotel (or whatever their job title is) decided the loss in revenue isn't worth aggravating the guests. Pretty sure I saw someone using an in-park mug to fill up at WL last trip.

Were definitely still on at AKL in December. I think my biggest gripe with them is the time limit between refills and limited refills, what a joke.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

I find it a little difficult to believe that management at WDW intentionally disables RFID so guests can steal drinks.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Itā€™s a fact.

It may be, but I still find it hard to believe. If true, they've probably grossly padded room prices to offset any potential loss.

And also let's not pretend that drink theft was an actual concern in the scheme of profits, it was very minimal. Rapidfill was an MBA's dream to connect sodas to inventory management and increase maintenance costs for some reason.

It may not be a concern, but taking drinks without paying for them is still theft none the less. If you have a rare lifetime mug, that's a little different but that's probably .01% of the WDW visitor population.

jklakeview

These are Internet forums. There are actual living humans moderating these forums who cannot possibly catch everything.

Having been on these forums for 18 years, I think new mugs are newsworthy as they only appear every 18 months or so. A new snack appears every 4 days. Dole whips are an entity upon themselves. I wouldnā€™t take it personally. At least your thread move suggests the personal touch of one of our moderators. You are loved.
Thank you but I disagree. Itā€™s not as if they are selling a bag of cotton candy. It is an experience where they make a HUGE multilayered cotton candy in front of you. This to me is the equivalent of the candy maker that used to be in China. If she were coming back and I wrote about it would they move it out of the NEWS and rumors area into the snack area simply because she was ā€œmaking a lollipopā€. Itā€™s rarher insulting to take news that I think is important and others may want to know about and move it into the concessions area while others discuss mugs and dole whips under news and rumors. Iā€™m not usually much of a complainer but I think that the moderators were wrong here. This is not me asking what people think about cotton candy or candy apples. This is news about a new experience that was news worthy enough to be written about and quite honestly is VERY UNIQUE and something that reminds me of the way Disney used to do it. This is similar to when the cleaners used to make Disney characters while sweeping. This is very Disney!

tissandtully

It may be, but I still find it hard to believe. If true, they've probably grossly padded room prices to offset any potential loss.

It may not be a concern, but taking drinks without paying for them is still theft none the less. If you have a rare lifetime mug, that's a little different but that's probably .01% of the WDW visitor population.
Never said it wasn't theft, it's just doesn't happen on a big scale to be big enough of a concern to install machines that treat the 99% of honest people like criminals.

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Thank you but I disagree. Itā€™s not as if they are selling a bag of cotton candy. It is an experience where they make a HUGE multilayered cotton candy in front of you. This to me is the equivalent of the candy maker that used to be in China. If she were coming back and I wrote about it would they move it out of the NEWS and rumors area into the snack area simply because she was ā€œmaking a lollipopā€. Itā€™s rarher insulting to take news that I think is important and others may want to know about and move it into the concessions area while others discuss mugs and dole whips under news and rumors. Iā€™m not usually much of a complainer but I think that the moderators were wrong here. This is not me asking what people think about cotton candy or candy apples. This is news about a new experience that was news worthy enough to be written about and quite honestly is VERY UNIQUE and something that reminds me of the way Disney used to do it. This is similar to when the cleaners used to make Disney characters while sweeping. This is very Disney!
Then private message them.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
OK, whatever Bob Chapek. Done discussing this.

k84D9qP.jpg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
In the last year I have stayed at twice at GF, Poly, BC, and three times at WL. Also ate in Contempo Cafe at CR. All of the beverage stations had working RFID.

YMMV.

SirWillow

In the last year I have stayed at twice at GF, Poly, BC, and three times at WL. Also ate in Contempo Cafe at CR. All of the beverage stations had working RFID.

YMMV.

Add to that list AKL last October and Pop last month. We found out both times when the cashier forgot to activate one of our mugs.

dreamfinder

Most definitely. Was on at AKL, but when we switched to WL for a night, it didn't chirp at me when I refilled after quickly downing a soda. And I wouldn't be shocked if they flipped it back on when management from on high wanders around for a site visit.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Most definitely. Was on at AKL, but when we switched to WL for a night, it didn't chirp at me when I refilled after quickly downing a soda. And I wouldn't be shocked if they flipped it back on when management from on high wanders around for a site visit.

Not chirping doesn't mean it's disabled, and flipping it back on because your boss is around is not really how one keeps their job.

World_Showcase_Lover007

These aren't that. Did you even look at the pictures? The mug has the Mickey Mouse Club logo from 1955, along with many others. It appears to be a "Mickey Through the Years" motif.

Yes, I did in fact look at them. And one of the versions of ā€œMickey through the yearsā€ on the mugs is the new Ren & Stimpy version, which I do not care for.

HMFan999

I wouldn't be surprised if the RFID can be disabled by management to allow the process to be sped up as necessary. It would be the same concept as the different modes they can enable on the park gate ticketing system. Guest throughput trumps all and if they're willing to risk it with park admission I doubt anyone is getting fired over your 1 cent worth of coke syrup.

Dad 2 M & M

Never said it wasn't theft, it's just doesn't happen on a big scale to be big enough of a concern to install machines that treat the 99% of honest people like criminals.
"they've probably grossly padded room prices to offset any potential loss." Dah hee HEE.....comical as it's impossible to pad (or grossly pad) a room price......that would suggest the room price could be raised without a decrease in peeps reserving said room

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom