News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

DoleWhipDrea

I wonder if they will just turn this pavilion back into the festival center??

It may be too late for that, as WDI has manufactured set pieces and gone so far as to submit permits for their installation (I think I remember seeing those filed this past summer in the permits thread.) But since we can't see how far along they've gotten on the inside, it is possible that they could make changes to what they had planned.

But I will admit, I was a little surprised that they didn't force the makeover of WoL to further develop it as a festival center. Not that that's what I personally would have wanted...

I guess they could always make one half of the pavilion a "play" area aimed at kids while the other half caters to entertaining the adults with food and beverage. The concept art already evokes a sort of dance club atmosphere. Let the "hotel" area be a place where both children and adults can pass out 😂

Bender123

I'm unaware of it being canceled. It serves a purpose. If anything, they'd cut funding to the visuals.
Also, I would guess they are putting way more effort and current funds into attractions that have a possibility of being used in the next year.

Even with lowering COVID rates and increases in vaccinations, Im guessing it will be a solid year before we get away from social distance rules in the parks. Play is built on breaking on all those rules.

ToTBellHop

Also, I would guess they are putting way more effort and current funds into attractions that have a possibility of being used in the next year.

Even with lowering COVID rates and increases in vaccinations, Im guessing it will be a solid year before we get away from social distance rules in the parks. Play is built on breaking on all those rules.
I would expect it perhaps for Epcot's 40th on 10/1/22.

CJR

I would expect it perhaps for Epcot's 40th on 10/1/22.

That's what I'm thinking too. With things like the roof complete, they'll be able to move the interior stuff pretty quickly when they're ready.

A vaccine for children isn't likely until early next year, so launching it for EPCOT's 40th in the fall of 2022 makes a lot of sense for many reasons (safety, economically, luck in timing/promotion).

DreamfinderGuy

Is there a chance that at least this corner of Future World opens again this year? I don't care if Guardians/Play don't make it, I just want to be able to walk around over there again. A rope kept people out of Wonders for 12 years (well, most people), it can do it again.

Bocabear

Is there a chance that at least this corner of Future World opens again this year? I don't care if Guardians/Play don't make it, I just want to be able to walk around over there again. A rope kept people out of Wonders for 12 years (well, most people), it can do it again.
But as they continue to tear down the park and replace it with open space and "event lawns", it makes me angry that the prices for AP and entrance fees continue to rise while the park as a whole is giving us less than what existed in the 90s. Eventually they should be hitting a tipping point...and with the delayed and deferred construction and openings, the incentive to visit is dwindling. My last trip there a few weeks ago was huge crowds, MK and Hollywood Studios were full and blocked, Disney Springs was at capacity and basically closed to additional visitors, there is nothing currently new at EPCOT that is operating and half the park is a construction zone... I think this is probably the darkest time in the park's history...

mitchk

They’re working on it

Attachments

• 78656AAC-8F70-427E-8699-1E36E1E16915.jpeg
    78656AAC-8F70-427E-8699-1E36E1E16915.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 158
  • E69270B5-2093-494B-BFB0-AA8F092C64AC.jpeg
    E69270B5-2093-494B-BFB0-AA8F092C64AC.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 6308539F-C3DF-416E-B365-D8A671D428F4.jpeg
    6308539F-C3DF-416E-B365-D8A671D428F4.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 126
  • DA9208EF-6891-4B30-A62C-C9000F362F82.jpeg
    DA9208EF-6891-4B30-A62C-C9000F362F82.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 169

DreamfinderGuy

But as they continue to tear down the park and replace it with open space and "event lawns"
Yes but extra room to walk around is nice. After the week of bloggers getting photos of the yet to open attraction entrances passes, I might be able to reclaim my empty corner of Future World until whenever Guardians opens. Also walkways aren't "event lawns", with the exception of the ramp to Wonders that area has existed for the last 38+ years.
They’re working on it
Looks to me like nothing has changed, save for the unmaintained lawns. Wonder if they'll cut building a new ramp to Wonders in order to save a few bucks.

Bocabear

Yes but extra room to walk around is nice. After the week of bloggers getting photos of the yet to open attraction entrances passes, I might be able to reclaim my empty corner of Future World until whenever Guardians opens. Also walkways aren't "event lawns", with the exception of the ramp to Wonders that area has existed for the last 38+ years.

Looks to me like nothing has changed, save for the unmaintained lawns. Wonder if they'll cut building a new ramp to Wonders in order to save a few bucks.
Aside from the gridlock around the UK pavilion, EPCOT has always had an abundance of open space and walkways... The unbuilt Wonder Table will end up being a vacant lot event space as will most of the land where innoventions and Communicore West stood.
The one thing they did right when they built EPCOT was design the hardscape of the park for throngs of people....there has always been an abundance of beautiful landscaping and open spaces... The park allowed their attractions to become dated and then shuttered them rather than replacing them... An additional football field length of dead space is not what the center of the park needed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom