News New Play Pavilion to replace Epcot's Wonders of Life

CJR

Does anyone know if the artwork has been removed from the wall? I assume if it is still there, it could mean the 'rumor' is false. If the artwork is no longer on display, maybe there is some truth.

All someone has to do, if it's there, is photo graph it and let it circulate online as "proof it's still on". If it's not, it'd probably be promptly removed, because that's how Disney works. They're not ahead of the curve anymore.

ToTBellHop

I would still classify it as an indefinite postponement. It’s a subtle distinction from the guest perspective but one nonetheless.

I’d expect it to open some day when they need something to market since they could quickly finish it.

I’d classify the Mary Poppins ride the same way.

Main Street Theater is truly canceled.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Add theme park insider as another source reporting that Play is indeed canceled.
He said "shelved."

Things can be taken off the shelf.

Or left there forever.

He also said other interesting things revealed by his source such as surveys indicating that guests desires for IP are driving the 'shoehorned IP' bus, not just corporate synergy dictated from above.

Also from TPI... work had been done toward PLAY!. It's not like it was gutted and left totally empty.

He's also a site we're allowed to link to (but not too often ;) )...

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Except...that has been disconfirmed a long time ago?
Confirmed by who? Disney certainly didn't.
I mean you haven't heard it officially here from @wdwmagic or @marni1971 right? Even some of other more reputable Disney fan sites haven't run with it either.
Plus he has been reputable with his rumors before. Remember the 50th castle thing? He was the first to report it (iirc).

He cribbed it from another source I believe.
I don't agree with everything the guy says or even does, but Brayden seems to be at least decent at getting some valid sources so I won't throw him under as much scrutiny like I would for the other site.
I'm sure that if he keeps it up as reporter for the 3rd grade class newsletter, one day he can make it in the big leagues.

ToTBellHop

He said "shelved."

Or left there forever.

He also said other interesting things revealed by his source such as surveys indicating that guests desires for IP are driving the 'shoehorned IP' bus, not just corporate synergy dictated from above.

Also from TPI... work had been done toward PLAY!. It's not like it was gutted and left totally empty.

It’s merely being moved into long term storage.

1666618442873.jpeg

The mustache is obviously fake in this photo of Chapek from Friday night.

JustInTime

Plus, Brayden's 50th prediction was that the castle would be iridescent and rose gold. It wound up being neither. Rose gold is a metallic finish, as is iridescence. The castle became a flat, pale salmon.

He was partially right. The iridescent spires were painted over because it didn’t hold up in the sun. I saw them in person and it looked horrible.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Wait, is that a surprise to people? I've been screeching about this since Frozen came to the World Showcase, and especially when it came to the closure of Reflections of Earth.

"Epcot isn't 'Disney' enough" has been a top guest feedback sentiment for decades at this point.

Anyone looking to point fingers for shoehorned IP shouldn't be looking for someone named Bob, they should be looking at their fellow guests.

TwilightZone

He said "shelved."

Or left there forever.

While the Play pavilion concept art gave heavy "Ralph Breaks the Internet" vibes, there was no IP officially attached to brand the project, which I suspect made its ballooning budget a harder sell for continued support.
I can think of one IP that could fit the play concept...
latest

And several that can fit other concepts...

Inside-Out-Feature-Image-1.jpg

baymax.jpg

Health and fitness...

Wreck-It-Ralph-2-Poster.jpg

Internet and technology...

walle_feature.jpg

Space and ecology...

Shorts1-00:02:54.jpg

Weather...

UNCgolf

Technically the 20k replacement at MK?

It wasn't a villains mountain ride, but it did get a replacement eventually.

I wouldn't consider that shelved/unshelved. They were going to build something there eventually.

I meant a specific project -- where they had plans to build some specific thing, put it away, then came back and built that exact thing years later instead of reconfiguring it into something else. Like if they suddenly started building the Main Street Theater next year.

ToTBellHop

Has Disney ever unshelved any projects they've shelved?

I'm legitimately asking; I have no idea.
I would liken this to Legendary Years. A lot of construction occurred, then it was paused. It resumed later with a light retheme (to Little Mermaid). I could see the same happen here.

Mary Poppins is different since they didn’t do anything on that project. It would be easy to ignore if not for the CEO liking it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom