New photopass website with some changes, improvements, and one big loss

SirWillow

Original Poster
I first saw this at https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...-guests-should-complete-purchases-by-tonight/

The new website is https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/photopass and they've made a bunch of improvements. You can now see photos showing only certain parks, all your photos, including all your "family and friends" or just those that are on your particular photopass, and choose how to sort them.
One feature I've wanted for a while now- you can now check individual photos and then download those as a group. No longer is it download all or one photo at a time. This is a wonderful fix for frequent visitors like AP holders.

the only thing I don't like is it looks like you'll no longer be able to add frames, stickers, or autographs to the photos on the new site. If you want those, you need to add them to your photos on the old site by the end of the day today so they can transfer over to the new one. Otherwise those look like they're going to disappear.

UncleMike101

I first saw this at https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...-guests-should-complete-purchases-by-tonight/

The new website is https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/photopass and they've made a bunch of improvements. You can now see photos showing only certain parks, all your photos, including all your "family and friends" or just those that are on your particular photopass, and choose how to sort them.
One feature I've wanted for a while now- you can now check individual photos and then download those as a group. No longer is it download all or one photo at a time. This is a wonderful fix for frequent visitors like AP holders.

the only thing I don't like is it looks like you'll no longer be able to add frames, stickers, or autographs to the photos on the new site. If you want those, you need to add them to your photos on the old site by the end of the day today so they can transfer over to the new one. Otherwise those look like they're going to disappear.
Iger giveth and Iger taketh away.
Blessed be Iger........:angelic:

drizgirl

So I guess they won't add a border that says "taken by a WDW photo box"?

DL changed their site a few years back and took away the ability to add borders and such. It's a pretty big loss in value. They did add some functionality to the Apple app, where you can add borders. But the selection is very limited, and you can only "save" it by emailing it to yourself. It's very convoluted. But at least DL doesn't charge $169 for their product.

SirWillow

Original Poster
Only thing I would like them to do is to use RAW files instead of the jpeg for the photos at least then I could fix some of the issues when you get bad photos or at the very least crop the photos more before the photo starts getting bad.

Between the extra storage space and the number of people that don't know how to handle RAW files...
When I was there we shot in fine jpg for Disney. The system they were using at the time I don't think could even recognize RAW files. I don't know if that's still the case today or not, but I'm sure compatibility is still one of their justifications.

erasure fan1

Between the extra storage space and the number of people that don't know how to handle RAW files...
Exactly, the extra storage for the amount of pictures Disney takes would be astronomically higher. For that reason and the fact that the average guest thinks the images are just fine, Disney wouldn't do it. Now finding a way to upcharge people so they can monetize it, then maybe. But I don't ever see it being standard.

jlmct52

I was afraid of this change when I heard about it. I was hoping to be wrong......but I knew the new site would do away with us being able to edit the photos (ability to add frames, stickers, or autographs to the photos). When I bought this at Disneyland last year and saw that it had been discontinued I figured Walt Disney World's product would soon follow suit.

The real shame is that is a way we were able to make the photos extra special.

PrincessMia

I don't even know what a RAW file is, but when I try to upload Photopass photos to Walgreen/Walmart/Snapfish to have them printed, they all say the file is too big. Has anyone else had this issue? The only workaround I could find was to copy paste into a Word document, them reduce file size, and re-save as a jpg. What a pain. I know there has to be an easier way...

SirWillow

Original Poster
I don't even know what a RAW file is, but when I try to upload Photopass photos to Walgreen/Walmart/Snapfish to have them printed, they all say the file is too big. Has anyone else had this issue? The only workaround I could find was to copy paste into a Word document, them reduce file size, and re-save as a jpg. What a pain. I know there has to be an easier way...

that's really odd. I've never had that issue, and I've had a number of the photos printed at Walmart in various sizes. My own photos, which are much larger file sizes, have also not had issues. Shrinking them in Word that way really reduces the quality of the photos and is going to affect how they look.

Perhaps try copying them onto a thumb drive and taking that to the store may be better. Honestly not sure why the internet version isn't working for you, but that may be an effective work around. It usually only takes an hour or two to print. It costs a bit more than to have them mail it to you, but it works.

@jlmct52 I agree with you. Going to miss the frames and autographs. They were a fun addition to the photos. Really not sure why they're discontinuing those. However, many of them- or other frames and graphics- are available online to download and aren't that hard to edit into your pictures. It just may mean having to do it on your own or finding a kid to do it instead of having their website do it for you.

nolatron

Just got back from our trip and I'm really missing the old download functions.

In 2017, I was able to download these nicely organized zip files of all our photopass photos, named by location and in chronological order:

The other night I downloaded last weeks photos from the site. After figuring out I first had to scroll through all the photos first to get them loaded on the page, I could then check the "download all" box to download them all in one go. So I hit download.

Chrome opened 34 popup windows so it could download 34 randomly named zip files. I then found inside each of those was a jumble of all our photos, also all randomly named.

It's a total mess to organize and nothing is in chronological order anymore. For example, I've got photos from the Rapunzel/Tiana meet and greet spread through 10 different zip files.

Is there maybe an option I'm missing to simply do a full download of everything like it used to or is this is it?

I really miss that old site now. :mad:

SirWillow

Original Poster
@nolatron Sadly I ran into the same issue last week when downloading photos from our recent trip as well. They really broke that part of downloading your photos and at some point I'm going to have to go through and rename all of them instead of the stupid gibberish names they've put on there instead.

I've really no clue why they did that. I can't fathom why there would be a need to change file names, date stamps, or meta data and leave it with junk for the end user.

Worse, I've tried to find some way to send a comment in to them about this and get some sort of response. Tried through a few of their facebook pages, twitter, and emails, and the only response I got was from guest services that they would "forward it to the appropriate party."

Not real happy with that change myself.

nolatron

I finally dumped in the photos in Lightroom and alleluia, the photos contain the original EXIF data so Lightroom is at least able to sort them in chronological order by the capture date/timestamp.

Another odd thing is I had 329 photos checked but ended up with over 600 photos. Looks like it download duplicates of everything.

draybook

I'd be happy just getting ALL of our photos. Seriously, the photos at Dinosaur aren't on our account. On top of that, the day we left property and were a few hours down the highway, I got a pop-up saying we had a new photo pass. It was some dude looking at his phone while on Buzz...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom