News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

J4546

saw this on another site themeparx i believe

Attachments

• renderepcot.jpeg
    renderepcot.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 413

zarpman

It could be an urban myth, but I remember hearing (perhaps in a tour) that the holes between the panels were intentional, and that a gutter system routed rainwater from Spaceship Earth into the lagoon to prevent water from running down the sphere onto guests below during showers. If this is true, I wonder how the installation of these lights might affect this.

I’ve been to Epcot during torrential downpours and there is definitely water that pools up around the base, but that could just be too much water for the gutter system to handle. Or this myth has just been communicated so much that it becomes Disney legend (like the black portions of the Swan and Dolphin being earmarked for future monorail expansion). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Brenthodge

It could be an urban myth, but I remember hearing (perhaps in a tour) that the holes between the panels were intentional, and that a gutter system routed rainwater from Spaceship Earth into the lagoon to prevent water from running down the sphere onto guests below during showers. If this is true, I wonder how the installation of these lights might affect this.

I’ve been to Epcot during torrential downpours and there is definitely water that pools up around the base, but that could just be too much water for the gutter system to handle. Or this myth has just been communicated so much that it becomes Disney legend (like the black portions of the Swan and Dolphin being earmarked for future monorail expansion). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It’s not a myth, it’s a system for managing rainwater where the water flows through all the openings (spaces between panels, not just “holes” to the under layer (since SE is actually composed of an outer surface and outer OUTER surface with space between) it flows over the under later to a “gutter” at about the equator of the sphere where the runoff is collected before the water begins to “curve under” the sphere. The lights shouldn’t affect the ability for water to reach the lower surface.

zarpman

In that case, I really hope that the lights encompass the entire sphere. While I prefer the clean look without them, they don’t look terrible until you see that the lights aren’t everywhere and then they stand out. Kinda reminds me of the 1995 Tomorrowland redo where they cheapened out and didn’t retheme the Peoplemover supports in the back of the land (again, I prefer the original supports and am glad that they have mostly come back, but the inconsistency in the past made me hate the gaudy ones that much more).

jt04

In that case, I really hope that the lights encompass the entire sphere. While I prefer the clean look without them, they don’t look terrible until you see that the lights aren’t everywhere and then they stand out. Kinda reminds me of the 1995 Tomorrowland redo where they cheapened out and didn’t retheme the Peoplemover supports in the back of the land (again, I prefer the original supports and am glad that they have mostly come back, but the inconsistency in the past made me hate the gaudy ones that much more).
👍👍👍👍👍

jt04

Even if the lights wouldn't work where they would be just over the walkway, they could easily fabricate a device to create a consistent appearance it seems to me. They wouldn't even need to be wired. They could just use velcro. 🔮 😉

Goofyernmost

SPACESHIP ZIT... The ride through the hardship and pain of Acne. A journey through time depicting how cavemen (and women, of course) all the way to modern man (and women, of course) dealt with the embarrassment of bumpy skin during Prom time. A sad, and sometimes funny, exploration of teens and beyond. A show that more than scratches the surface of Acne.

mightynine

SPACESHIP ZIT... The ride through the hardship and pain of Acne. A journey through time depicting how cavemen (and women, of course) all the way to modern man (and women, of course) dealt with the embarrassment of bumpy skin during Prom time. A sad, and sometimes funny, exploration of teens and beyond. A show that more than scratches the surface of Acne.

Presented by ZapZyt and Oxy.

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
Meanwhile back in WS...
I watched maintenance work on the train garden for (no joke) nearly 2 hours. So much effort and dedication. They were tweaking the track, replacing couplers and axles on the bad car, and chasing the train around. Too bad you don't see that effort past the entrance.
Isn't that maintained by a Train enthusists group and not Disney?

Inspired Figment

To those saying that it was all the sponsorship model’s issue… Nope.. what ‘actually’ happened is, internal park management made a conscious decision to lessen the amount of advertisement on Journey Into Imagination as the main attraction in that pavilion. And instead switched the focus to the 3D movie next door, Honey, I Shrunk the Audience. Guest flow/queue rope positioning was also reversed. Thus, when attendance levels were artificially dropped, they had the ‘data’ to say the IP themed experience was more popular than the unique-park exclusive one. Even with Kodak’s low funding, They could’ve used that money to update the existing, beloved attraction which was already making millions on Figment merch still. But they didn’t.. and we can see how that all resulted. I’m also sad to admit that they did the very same damn thing with Horizons & World of Motion but with guide maps utilizing a star rating system that put them lower than others to lower attendance levels in order to justify changing those.

I can at the very least though, guarantee.. that had they not pulled the Honey I Shrunk marketing/attendance crap they did, OG JII would still be here to this day with the new enhancements & spfx it should’ve gotten decades ago as opposed to the poorly thought out IP retheme it got. Tbh, it confuses me, knowing how profitable Figment is, why they wouldn’t have thought to boost the marketing on him and the ride rather than lessen it. Who knows.. but whatever. Some kind of grudge against free spirited creativity I guess.. (which, ironically.. seems to have permeated throughout the entire park now it seems.. heck, even the current ride as it stands portrays it as an upside down minded nuisance)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom