News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

Thelazer

Just wondering what would your method of lighting the individual panels as a matrix of light be? I'm not saying this was necessary, but I do think it may prove to be a fairly inventive solution to a problem they created for themselves that no one was really asking to be solved.

lasers

WillWrambles

In the Parks
No
Being a commercial designer and lighting designer I have wondered for years why they did not do this long ago... The lights will fit in a natural junction of the structural lines... They are small enough they will basically disappear unless you are specifically looking for them, and at night they will add some kinetic energy to the monument... I am sure they will not be on all the time but limited show sequences, and then they are not lit, they will pretty much disappear... They should not cheapen, but enhance the structural and sculptural beauty of Spaceship earth...
Like I said before, this with the restoration of the Entrance Plaza are actually a real enhancements...the rest of what they are doing with Communicore and the park in general are questionable.
It’s nice to hear the opinion of someone who actually has experience in this area. If you think it’s gonna work, than it probably will.

TrainsOfDisney

Being a commercial designer and lighting designer I have wondered for years why they did not do this long ago... The lights will fit in a natural junction of the structural lines... They are small enough they will basically disappear unless you are specifically looking for them, and at night they will add some kinetic energy to the monument... I am sure they will not be on all the time but limited show sequences, and then they are not lit, they will pretty much disappear... They should not cheapen, but enhance the structural and sculptural beauty of Spaceship earth...
Like I said before, this with the restoration of the Entrance Plaza are actually a real enhancements...the rest of what they are doing with Communicore and the park in general are questionable.
I’m a theatrical LD not commercial / structural but I’m a bit skeptical. Hopefully I won’t mind it when I see it in person.

maxairmike

That would give a totally different effect. I hope you’re being sarcastic.
After a quick thought...I actually really like that idea as part of a show sequence, but not the only option. Maybe thin LED strip fixtures around the edges of groups of panels would stick out less than these new fixtures while offering a similar quality of light, allowing the "point" lights to be recessed? If you want to light sections of panels precisely that's about the only other thing I can think of, but I'm not a lighting guy.

Goofyernmost

In spite of what some think, I haven't ruled out the possibility of a spectacular night show. I have, however, concern about the daytime alteration of such a great creation. If they do it and I don't really notice any difference with the outside appearance during the daylight then I will probably be OK with it. But, I'm not sure how that will happen, I am hopeful.

Thelazer

The one improvement here, is that the LED device could have been painted black, with a set of 3 or 4 small lensed emitters on the front of it.

From a distance, you wouldn't notice the new "Dotted" effects at the edge of the panels in the day time as the black would blend in with the current black "hub" sections... but at night you'd see the LED color effects just fine.

Sir_Cliff

Despite all this discussion, we really don't know how in/visible these things will be so it's a bit hard to praise or condemn them yet.

Hopefully they do end up being largely invisible during the day and result in a great improvement to the illumination of SSE in the evening. Considering what's going on just behind SSE, though, I think we also have cause to be sceptical that WDI has gone above and beyond to make sure daytime views are not being sacrificed in the service of an impressive nighttime show.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's totally going to be noticeable and standout. Totally unlike how the current junctures are completely invisible...

1616358705452.png

1616358606478.png

The red is the overlay of the top photo matching panel size.

Sir_Cliff

It's totally going to be noticeable and standout. Totally unlike how the current junctures are completely invisible...

View attachment 541279

View attachment 541278

The red is the overlay of the top photo matching panel size.
Again, who knows whether it will look the same, better, or worse after these are installed.

I think, though, lights visibly bolted onto the structure would look worse than what you're circling. If they are visible as such...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Again, who knows whether it will look the same, better, or worse after these are installed.

I think, though, lights visibly bolted onto the structure would look worse than what you're circling. If they are visible as such...
Can you see the mounted light in the second picture to even compare?

peter11435

I'm honestly surprised you'd argue that one close-up nighttime photo means we can already tell how it's going to look in daylight when it's finished, either for good or ill.

Not saying I think it will look bad, just saying I don't know.
Exactly. If we need to wait to say it will look fine/good we should also wait to flip out and say it will look horrible .

Last edited:

sedati

In spite of what some think, I haven't ruled out the possibility of a spectacular night show. I have, however, concern about the daytime alteration of such a great creation. If they do it and I don't really notice any difference with the outside appearance during the daylight then I will probably be OK with it. But, I'm not sure how that will happen, I am hopeful.
Honestly, this can't be anything more than an embellishment and here's why:
"A spectacular night show" would draw crowds and this structure is positioned as a thoroughfare. Imagine if the only way in and out of the Magic Kingdom was through Cinderella's castle and you'll understand the logistics problem. The massive hub and all its various pathways become a nightmare during any show on the castle. Now widdle all that down to one small viewing area that is also the only way in or out of the park.
If Spaceship Earth is just getting new sparkles and colors, then that will should be visible from many other points within the park itself, but still, most are going to want to grab their selfies from the front and that can only be done in just one small, problematic part of this otherwise massive park. What's worse, it's a spot that offers no snack carts, no light-up gifts etc that helps a park profit from such wonderful nighttime distractions. Of course, carts could be wheeled in, but that would only add clutter to a space that is again, a thoroughfare.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom