News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

techgeek

View attachment 533878

“Her classic look... intensity in programmed expressions...”

so.. errr.. that’s going to be a very interesting ‘goodnight kiss’. The castle is going to be jealous.

Movielover

When did Spaceship Earth become a 'her'?!

I don't mean this in an offensive way, just why is Spaceship Earth gendered? Do other park icons or significant structures have a gender?!

“Her classic look... intensity in programmed expressions...”

so.. errr.. that’s going to be a very interesting ‘goodnight kiss’. The castle is going to be jealous.

She certainly is thick...

sirmixalotilikebigbuttsseattleorchestra-1416597948.gif

;)

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I was thinking the same. These walls seem to go on forever. The old monoliths were wider, but still, I had no idea there were that many photos. The numbers at the top are a bit jarring, but otherwise I think it looks really nice.

Disney is scoring points with the entrance area. It's too bad they're taking about 10 steps backward with what's happening out in the World Showcase Lagoon.
The entrance is such a tease. If it weren’t for Wdwmagic and I walked up on that entrance I’d be sprinting into the park like a little kid expecting everything that once was upgraded and refreshed.

Creathir

The entrance is such a tease. If it weren’t for Wdwmagic and I walked up on that entrance I’d be sprinting into the park like a little kid expecting everything that once was upgraded and refreshed.
Then you’d have your hopes dashed as half of CommuniCore was missing, the Fountain of Nations was no more, and your view of the pavilions on the other side of the World Showcase was blocked by ghastly black monoliths posing as fountains littered haphazardly across the lagoon as of floating piles of refuse.

Horizons1

Then you’d have your hopes dashed as half of CommuniCore was missing, the Fountain of Nations was no more, and your view of the pavilions on the other side of the World Showcase was blocked by ghastly black monoliths posing as fountains littered haphazardly across the lagoon as of floating piles of refuse.
Now wait just a minute, to view the those ugly black monoliths you MUST be using a telephoto lens. There’s truly no other way they would be visible to the human eye!!!

Skywise

Totally. One's lens and position has no bearing on just how unobtrusive the barges are. Just look how tiny they are!!!!!!

View attachment 534309
Looking at it like this, I'm struck...why make a barge for this? Why not just make some additional islands which would better blend in the lake along with raisable screens that would lie flat during the day?

NelleBelle

Are the barges going to be permanently on the lake?? 😳 Sorry, I was always thinking they would move in and out like the IllumiNations barges did.

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
Looking at it like this, I'm struck...why make a barge for this? Why not just make some additional islands which would better blend in the lake along with raisable screens that would lie flat during the day?
Is is just me or does anyone else think this would be a genius move and much better solution to do the same thing? You have a great thought!!

Building off your idea: how about islands instead of the Tacos and have the stargate the only barge but able to cantilever down close to flat and raise it up in time for the show (or smaller and bring it out each day). Both would have been much less obstructive and blend in better. The plus no need for daytime fountains that will have problems in 6 months or less.

pdude81

Permanent. That’s half the problem.

I thought you'd said once upon a time that they could tow them in and out but decided it was going to take too long. Something like a half hour, which to me is not at issue at all if we can have an unobstructed lake for the majority of the day.

I can't find any such reference in this thread though. Did I make this up? Did they run out of gas money? Surely the original plan couldn't have been to plug up the lake with these things

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I thought you'd said once upon a time that they could tow them in and out but decided it was going to take too long. Something like a half hour, which to me is not at issue at all if we can have an unobstructed lake for the majority of the day.

I can't find any such reference in this thread though. Did I make this up? Did they run out of gas money? Surely the original plan couldn't have been to plug up the lake with these things
I’d heard (don’t recall from who. @Magic Feather ?) it was decided it would take too long to have the bridge open in bad weather. It was quite a while back the decision was taken.

trainplane3

I’d heard (don’t recall from who. @Magic Feather ?) it was decided it would take too long to have the bridge open in bad weather. It was quite a while back the decision was taken.
Yep:
"It's not that they couldn't have brought these crazy huge platforms out from the marina everyday. They really could have (even if the marina would be a little tight on space). The issue is that the projected amount of time to get these things in and out was way higher than anyone was willing to stomach. Supposedly it could have gone over an hour on a windy day, which was something that ops wasn't willing to put up with. That drawbridge would either stay up for an obscenely long amount of time, or go up and down enough to be like a game of frogger for guests."
-A Friend on why the Platforms are docked Permanently

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom