News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

DCBaker

Premium Member
Ep8q-OVXcAIHdAH.jpeg

trainplane3

There’s some debate if these are smaller than the original. Since apparently size matters, I’m reliably informed these are ever so slightly taller than the originals. Thanks D.
They also look to be slightly different with how the the back is. The back sweeps "in" more aggressively:
Ep2u45dXIAAFbEQ.jpg

Where before they were more gradual:
Ep2u45bWMAghJwI.jpg

Also looks like the angled portion is slightly shorter while the vertical part is longer? (on the new fountain, and ignoring the "shins")
Changes to aid in better reinforcement?

Credit:

Last edited:

sedati

Yeah. It's a fountain and it's nice enough, but it's still a fountain. It's also in front of a giant ball like you've never seen before. I think that's what people are going to focus on as they make their way into the park. I'd think Disney would want the fountain to be past SSE so it would have more prominence.
And as they make their way into the park they are greeted with two choices:
1) An un-themed switchback- nope, wait, there's a mural.
2) Follow along one of the side paths that at least momentarily give the impression that you may have wandered backstage.
Granted all of this occurs at the base of a phenomenal architectural marvel, but this is a really awkward way to usher your guests onward.

Goofyernmost

There’s some debate if these are smaller than the original. Since apparently size matters, I’m reliably informed these are ever so slightly taller than the originals. Thanks D.
I didn't really give it a lot of thought, but I did think that they were bigger but I wasn't sure.

RSoxNo1

In bad weather the concern was it could take an hour to get them in and out due to their size.

My question would be why not make them smaller. Still big enough to be seen but smaller to move easier. Or design the show to hide the bulk during the day. Or design them to be berthed and hidden on the lake in a new build. Or design them to be less obtrusive during the day. All the above has been done before.

But I fear we’re in the wrong thread for this.
A lock system would solve this problem.

Thelazer

A basic fountain which may have been impressive to some 40 yrs ago but is nothing special at all now and looks rather boring for most. This is just to please the fan boys but should have been some.thing more forward thinking and impressive.

So I'm guessing your okay with Humongous, since that's fair from a basic borining fountain and is surly impressive in the day time?

Obobru

So I'm guessing your okay with Humongous, since that's fair from a basic borining fountain and is surly impressive in the day time?
Nope, your thinking that if someone thinks this is basic and dated they must like the tacos is typical blinkered fan boy thinking. Both are bad for different reasons, this explained above and the other explained in the relevant thread.

Maybe if the "Imagineers" had some "imagination" they could have come up with something better than was created 40 yrs ago but alas they just wanted a quick fix to please fan boys who gush over anything that reminds them of when they were younger and everything was seen as amazing, fresh, new and through rose tinted spectacles.

Goofyernmost

Nope, your thinking that if someone thinks this is basic and dated they must like the tacos is typical blinkered fan boy thinking. Both are bad for different reasons, this explained above and the other explained in the relevant thread.

Maybe if the "Imagineers" had some "imagination" they could have come up with something better than was created 40 yrs ago but alas they just wanted a quick fix to please fan boys who gush over anything that reminds them of when they were younger and everything was seen as amazing, fresh, new and through rose tinted spectacles.
Because an idea is 40 years old, does not make it insignificant compared to any new things. Otherwise all those tourists going to Europe to see history laid out is a bad thing. How many things do you actually think can be done with a relatively small fountain. They are made up of concrete stone and water. Shape and physical design are just about it otherwise it is just water, running, falling, shooting and returning to the origin of it's source. It's OK to be critical of something if you have better ideas, but just assuming that their might be better is just simple speculation and over simplification of the creative process. An old idea is not automatically a bad idea. For it's location that fountain is perfect and does what it was originally intended too.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

A lock system would solve this problem.
????? How ????? I was under the impression it was a problem with width that made movement slow moving into the lagoon. Locks are for different levels of water and that isn't a situation here. Maybe I am assuming a different problem then what really exists. My assumption is that they made the barge 11'11" wide and the canal is only 12' wide (measurements are for the sake of example only) so someone with a calculator decided that it would easily fit with a good half inch to spare on either side. All it would take is a very slight curve in the canal to cause that calculator to short out quite badly.

RSoxNo1

????? How ????? I was under the impression it was a problem with width that made movement slow moving into the lagoon. Locks are for different levels of water and that isn't a situation here. Maybe I am assuming a different problem then what really exists. My assumption is that they made the barge 11'11" wide and the canal is only 12' wide (measurements are for the sake of example only) so someone with a calculator decided that it would easily fit with a good half inch to spare on either side. All it would take is a very slight curve in the canal to cause that calculator to short out quite badly.
A lock system on the lagoon itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom