News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

JohnD

Agreed. I don’t like the continuity errors with the technology. The Mudd episodes are good and I like Saru. I’m intrigued about the next season for sure. It’s still my least favorite trek show probably. With Picard it’s though. The Riker and Troi episode was good, the rest I thought were...fine, but the show feels like it’s in an alternate universe. Ok I’m done now, sorry all 😂

I like Pike and his crew. Looking forward to that new series, if they were even able to start filming due to COVID. I expect I'll like that one better than Discovery. It's an actual prequel to TOS.

montyz81

Glass is definitely cheaper than acrylic in 2020. Things have changed a lot in the last 10 years (to say nothing of the last 5 months) and glass has wound up cheaper than high quality plastics for most applications.
I stand corrected. The original PRISMS were acrylic I believe were they not?

montyz81

montyz81

For comparison:
Prisms.png

Old and New.

Beacon Joe

Do we know who is manufacturing the pylons? It's not the same artist who created the first ones, so did they consult with him on it? From what I heard, he went through some significant trial and error with the mass and the bends in the acrylic.

ETA: Not sure about the haha, so if you don't believe me, listen to the recent interview w/ Gene Brignola.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
Let's also not loose sight of how many fans gushing over this fountain for being "classic" are the ones who've spent the last several years online defending Frozen being in EPCOT, the bar on legs, the clumsy design of France's expansion etc.

They like retro EPCOT when its on a t-shirt. They don't care for the philosophy and standards EPCOT's aesthetic was designed to support.
You have a slightly annoying tendency to lump people together and then make sweeping generalisations about them. Please stop! By all means disagree with people but don’t presume to know their thoughts, and there is zero reason to be so condescending towards people who happen to hold different views to your own.

I love the fountain, and yet words cannot express my hatred of the Frozen overlay of Maelstrom.

Goofyernmost

You have a slightly annoying tendency to lump people together and then make sweeping generalisations about them. Please stop! By all means disagree with people but don’t presume to know their thoughts, and there is zero reason to be so condescending towards people who happen to hold different views to your own.

I love the fountain, and yet words cannot express my hatred of the Frozen overlay of Maelstrom.
I, on the other hand, do not waste my negative emotions on a theme park ride or any other aspect of a theme park. I think frozen is fine and even though I liked Maelstrom I think that Frozen was a vast improvement for the overall area. At some point everyone has got to accept that this is 2020 and not 1982. The public in general rejected EPCOT Ctr. within a few years because they rejected spending a lot of money to watch an educational program that was in some aspects, beyond the boat ride, boring to the "enth" degree and not relatable to anyone not from Norway. Granted that is my opinion but it seems logical to me that if EPCOT were that epic to the majority it would still be following that same mission statement.

1982 was pre-internet, at least to the majority of the public, now everything you ever wanted to know about anything is as easy as typing your name and the internet connections now are cheaper then a Mickey Bar. No one wants to pay $100.00 per day to be bombarded with stuff they can get almost free sitting in front of their laptop or even phone, for that matter.

nickys

Premium Member
I, on the other hand, do not waste my negative emotions on a theme park ride or any other aspect of a theme park. I think frozen is fine and even though I liked Maelstrom I think that Frozen was a vast improvement for the overall area. At some point everyone has got to accept that this is 2020 and not 1982. The public in general rejected EPCOT Ctr. within a few years because they rejected spending a lot of money to watch an educational program that was in some aspects, beyond the boat ride, boring to the "enth" degree and not relatable to anyone not from Norway. Granted that is my opinion but it seems logical to me that if EPCOT were that epic to the majority it would still be following that same mission statement.

1982 was pre-internet, at least to the majority of the public, now everything you ever wanted to know about anything is as easy as typing your name and the internet connections now are cheaper then a Mickey Bar. No one wants to pay $100.00 per day to be bombarded with stuff they can get almost free sitting in front of their laptop or even phone, for that matter.
I hadn’t visited WDW in 1982, it was a decade later before my first experience. My views are nothing to do with with not wanting change.

As for Maelstrom, you might as well say that the Morocco souk is unrelateable to anyone not from Morocco, or that the Canadian totem poles mean nothing to anyone other than Canadians. The WS pavilions provide a snapshot of the country in question, a representation. The fact that many of them have architecture based on real places is perhaps lost on many but adds to the distinct feel of each country.

The Frozen ride is only relatable to a demographic of pre-teens; I didn’t even realise it was supposed to be a kind of sequel to the movie - and I’ve seen it. The ride was an attempt to capitalise on the success of a movie that was very tenuously inspired by a story that came from Scandinavia, written by a Dane. The closest connection it has to Norway specifically is that the town in the movie is similarly named to a region of Norway - a region that is on the opposite side of the country with no fjords and pretty flat as far as Norway can be! At least Maelstrom contained trolls, oil, river rapids and a waterfall - all of which are connected to the real Norway.

As for the other changes, I admit to having been quite excited by the “bar on legs” as an interesting architectural building, but just not in place of Innoventions. It didn’t fit there and would have been better placed somewhere else. Ditto the new water feature walk-through.

montyz81

I hadn’t visited WDW in 1982, it was a decade later before my first experience. My views are nothing to do with with not wanting change.

As for Maelstrom, you might as well say that the Morocco souk is unrelateable to anyone not from Morocco, or that the Canadian totem poles mean nothing to anyone other than Canadians. The WS pavilions provide a snapshot of the country in question, a representation. The fact that many of them have architecture based on real places is perhaps lost on many but adds to the distinct feel of each country.

The Frozen ride is only relatable to a demographic of pre-teens; I didn’t even realise it was supposed to be a kind of sequel to the movie - and I’ve seen it. The ride was an attempt to capitalise on the success of a movie that was very tenuously inspired by a story that came from Scandinavia, written by a Dane. The closest connection it has to Norway specifically is that the town in the movie is similarly named to a region of Norway - a region that is on the opposite side of the country with no fjords and pretty flat as far as Norway can be! At least Maelstrom contained trolls, oil, river rapids and a waterfall - all of which are connected to the real Norway.

As for the other changes, I admit to having been quite excited by the “bar on legs” as an interesting architectural building, but just not in place of Innoventions. It didn’t fit there and would have been better placed somewhere else. Ditto the new water feature walk-through.
Last I checked... Frozen was not part of the main entrance redo. Let’s all stay on topic.

mlayton144

This reminds me of the move spinal tap when they lowered the Stonehenge rocks onto the stage , these things are much smaller than I thought they would be

Animaniac93-98

You have a slightly annoying tendency to lump people together and then make sweeping generalisations about them. Please stop!

There's been a consistent attitude that myself and others have noticed within the fan community of people gushing about whatever Disney does, even if it contradicts their own opinions on other subjects or the parks at large.

By all means disagree with people but don’t presume to know their thoughts

Loving everything Disney does is a pretty consistent view point. Pretty safe to assume what the brand advocates and influencers (and those who aspire to be one) think of most topics.

and there is zero reason to be so condescending towards people who happen to hold different views to your own.

You and others might take your own advice. For example, many Disney fans dismiss discussions of details outright because they deem them unimportant (and then praise Disney when Disney brings attention to them). The thread discussing the new pastry shop at Epcot is a perfect example of this.

I don't subscribe to the theory that "everyone's opinion is valid". It's more often than not used as a way to discourage critical thinking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom