News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

yensidtlaw1969

I know everyone is “rooting” for their least favorite parts to be cut from the Epcot overhaul, but I would strongly caution against that.

Agree or disagree with it’s contents, but the Epcot overhaul for FW that would have gone through without the pandemic was seriously masterplanned, and (while I know it wasn’t everyone’s favorite) marked the return of architecturally ambitious structures (not just showbuildings to Epcot). I’d go as far as to say that structure would have been more “EPCOT” than Mission: Space, Space 220, Rat, and Frozen combined.
Your use of the word "Masterplanned" in context seems to suggest there were forthcoming elements that had not yet been announced but would figure in with what had been announced . . . was that the case, or am I reading too far into that?

yensidtlaw1969

Frozen has massive sections of unthemed walls and only a few “look here” sections with animatronics. It’s terrible and a lazy refurb. The Mickey ride is how you do a gut job of a classic ride (if you refuse to keep said classic ride :().
Let's be honest, even Runaway Railway does a pretty lousy job disguising that most of its rooms are essentially soundstages. The flat cyclorama walls that have visual interest but abruptly fade to black at the ceiling are not sufficiently compensated for by the minimal set pieces and animatronics.

Despite some interesting figures, rich colors, and dynamic projections, it is almost always very clear you're in some sort of open showroom. This is not so apparent in on-ride videos of the attraction but is present in every major showscene within the ride outside of the train tunnel, projection dome, and the studio. Those are the only scenes that make the effort to fully envelop the guest, and still to varying degrees of success.

It makes it feel like the ride is the gut job it is - projection mapping the ceilings (or at least painting blacklight murals) would have gone SO far towards immersion in the cartoon world. Even something like Snow White's Scary Adventures never let you see the "edges" as clearly as Runaway Railway does. Railway is constructed pretty squarely with subject and backdrop with very little atmospheric scenery in between. I think Frozen frequently suffers these same ills, but at least they have those sparkling trees overhead in the beginning - SOMETHING infusing some atmosphere into the space between the Animatronics and the warehouse ceiling above.

But now I'm sure I've veered off topic.

*EDITED To Add: This may not be clear from this post, but I did have fun on Runaway Railway. I just don't think it hid its sins especially well.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

Let's be honest, even Runaway Railway does a pretty lousy job disguising that most of its rooms are essentially soundstages. The flat cyclorama walls that have visual interest but abruptly fade to black at the ceiling are not sufficiently compensated for by the minimal set pieces and animatronics.

Despite some interesting figures, rich colors, and dynamic projections, it is almost always very clear you're in some sort of open showroom. This is not so apparent in on-ride videos of the attraction but is present in every major showscene within the ride outside of the train tunnel, projection dome, and the studio. Those are the only scenes that make the effort to fully envelop the guest, and still to varying degrees of success.

It makes it feel like the ride is the gut job it is - projection mapping the ceilings (or at least painting blacklight murals) would have gone SO far towards immersion in the cartoon world. Even something like Snow White's Scary Adventures never let you see the "edges" as clearly as Runaway Railway does. Railway is constructed pretty squarely with subject and backdrop with very little atmospheric scenery in between. I think Frozen frequently suffers these same ills, but at least they have those sparkling trees overhead in the beginning - SOMETHING infusing some atmosphere into the space between the Animatronics and the warehouse ceiling above.

But now I'm sure I've veered off topic.

*EDITED To Add: This may not be clear from this post, but I did have fun on Runaway Railway. I just don't think it hid its sins especially well.
No question it’s not perfect, but what is these days? The last perfect attraction from Disney was Expedition Everest, which they still don’t have up to original show quality.

My point was Mickey ride is far better of a revamp than Frozen...which was awful.

I even have an axe to grind about the way they do entire lands now. Is Star Wars cool? Yeah, but it should have more than 2 rides, one of which is a C ticket and the E ticket is broken a lot and has a limit 1 ride per day...so not much to do there. Same with Pandora. Toy Story Land and New Fantasyland were total failures too.

Runaway Railroad was a step in the right direction, for me at least.

Chef Mickey

RSR would surely rate higher. Everest is a good coaster in a mediocre setting.
RSR is awesome, but I was more talking WDW. RSR was too TT for me to win me over as a “perfect“ attraction, although it’s really good.

Everest....With the queue, show building, scale, and yeti...it was epic. Disagree that anything about Everest was mediocre when it all worked.

rreading

No question it’s not perfect, but what is these days? The last perfect attraction from Disney was Expedition Everest, which they still don’t have up to original show quality.

My point was Mickey ride is far better of a revamp than Frozen...which was awful.

I even have an axe to grind about the way they do entire lands now. Is Star Wars cool? Yeah, but it should have more than 2 rides, one of which is a C ticket and the E ticket is broken a lot and has a limit 1 ride per day...so not much to do there. Same with Pandora. Toy Story Land and New Fantasyland were total failures too.

Just curious - while I do think that EE is pretty much a perfect roller coaster for WDW (even without a functioning animatronic yeti), RotR and FoP are pretty great attractions as well. Hard to say that they're not perfect either

Chef Mickey

Just curious - while I do think that EE is pretty much a perfect roller coaster for WDW (even without a functioning animatronic yeti), RotR and FoP are pretty great attractions as well. Hard to say that they're not perfect either
RotR is insanely great, but has uptime issues and I don’t like the 1 ride per day limit. It also lacks the physical thrill and is almost more of a show. Still great, no doubt.

FoP is also great, but it is a screen ride and lacks a little bit of re-rideability for me because the thrill significantly lessens over multiple rides. The pre show is also too long once you’ve seen it.

rreading

RotR is insanely great, but has uptime issues and I don’t like the 1 ride per day limit. It also lacks the physical thrill and is almost more of a show. Still great, no doubt.

FoP is also great, but it is a screen ride and lacks a little bit of re-rideability for me because the thrill significantly lessens over multiple rides. The pre show is also too long once you’ve seen it.

I hate the 1 ride per day limit, but given that there's still not the capacity for each guest to ride it in a day...

We were happy to get to do it once ;)

yensidtlaw1969

The issue wasn't perfection, it was that Railway doesn't really fare so much better than Frozen by the standards we were discussing. Wouldn't quite call Everest perfect either . . . Perfection isn't really a useful barometer in a subjective medium. But there for sure are core competencies that Disney used to deliver on at basically every level of attraction that they now manage to miss even with projects that are major.

Your thoughts on Lands definitely apply - Liberty Square features one of Disney's most beloved classic, sprawling, immersive dark rides, and an impressive Animatronic stage show that has rarely been equalled in scale . . . AND a massive, intricate Riverboat that actually operates, and is still EASILY the most "minor" land in its park. Obviously Galaxy's Edge and Pandora deliver in some ways that do not apply to Liberty Square, but they should blow it away pretty easily considering one is nearly 50 years old and the others are 3 or less. Instead they're more closely matched than must have ever been intended - and, frustratingly, Liberty Square even takes the win for attraction count.

UNCgolf

The preshow was too long while I was experiencing it for the very first time. It added nothing to the attraction for me, which defeats the purpose of a preshow. I realize it's supposed to explain what's happening on the ride, but it just doesn't work.

I also agree that FoP being screen based takes away from it a bit, because you don't have the sense of physically being in that space. Still an excellent ride, though.

Chef Mickey

The issue wasn't perfection, it was that Railway doesn't really fare so much better than Frozen by the standards we were discussing. Wouldn't quite call Everest perfect either . . . Perfection isn't really a useful barometer in a subjective medium. But there for sure are core competencies that Disney used to deliver on at basically every level of attraction that they now manage to miss even with projects that are major.

Your thoughts on Lands definitely apply - Liberty Square features one of Disney's most beloved classic, sprawling, immersive dark rides, and an impressive Animatronic stage show that has rarely been equalled in scale . . . AND a massive, intricate Riverboat that actually operates, and is still EASILY the most "minor" land in its park. Obviously Galaxy's Edge and Pandora deliver in some ways that do not apply to Liberty Square, but they should blow it away pretty easily considering one is nearly 50 years old and the others are 3 or less. Instead they're more closely matched than must have ever been intended - and, frustratingly, Liberty Square even takes the win for attraction count.
I think Railway is significantly better than Frozen...ride system, story, details, tech, fun, etc.

Everest is massive, has an awesome queue, an amazing story, and that Yeti was incredible for the short time it worked. I would call it a massive negative that it doesn’t work anymore and since it hasn’t worked basically since the ride opened, it’s not even close to perfection anymore (among the many other effects not maintained).

UNCgolf

I think their hope with Galaxy's Edge was that the shops/restaurants would essentially be mini-attractions themselves, like Ollivander's at Universal. GE failed on that front, though, for multiple reasons. One, the two biggest, most involved stores are upcharge experiences, which is already a mistake. Secondly, although I haven't experienced the lightsaber shop, there's really nothing special about the droid store at all. There's not much "show" going on there. The rest of the places are fine, but they're not something that's going to blow you away, even as a Star Wars fan. If you don't care about Star Wars, they aren't remotely interesting (my GF has seen Star Wars itself but none of the other movies, and found the whole land boring).

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

Absolutely. FEA is quite boring. Half the ride is screens showing reflections of snowflakes... First time I rode I was like “this ride is missing half the stuff it needed.”

The other IP rides you mentioned stand on their own. FEA is a shell of what it could have been, should have been, and really an uninteresting and inferior successor to Maelstrom.
FEA is a solid C-ticket. I would put it between Peter Pan's Flight and Voyage of the Little Mermaid. I like that FEA isn't a book report of the movie (unlike Peter Pan and Little Mermaid), but the scale is smaller than Mermaid.

RSoxNo1

I don't agree. I think it fits into the classic Disney dark ride template (Alice, Snow White, Peter Pan) very well, and is a step above those due to the animatronics and the scale/scope. It's certainly not an E, but it's a very good C+/D. I think the opposite - if it were in Fantasyland, it would have far fewer complaints.
This is absolutely true. The only complaints would be that they didn't go big enough with it. As much as I hate it's placement in EPCOT, if it was the exact same ride with the exact same capacity in Fantasyland it's wait time would be the longest of anything in the park.

EPCOT deserved more and Frozen deserved something other than the shoehorn treatment.

UNCgolf

This is absolutely true. The only complaints would be that they didn't go big enough with it. As much as I hate it's placement in EPCOT, if it was the exact same ride with the exact same capacity in Fantasyland it's wait time would be the longest of anything in the park.

EPCOT deserved more and Frozen deserved something other than the shoehorn treatment.

I think that's true (regarding wait times), but that's almost entirely a factor of the Frozen IP and has little to do with the quality of the ride itself.

Personally, I think it's basically a C-, but I've already explained why. Still much better than the Little Mermaid ride, of course.

RSoxNo1

I'm not sure how or why, but for some reason Flight of Passage is emminently re-rideable for me. I think it's the best version of a screen based simulator but ultimately the "film" will need to be replaced. Presumably content from the sequels will allow for this while maintaining the ride system.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom