News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

The colors are great. The multicolored futurism reminds me of the 4th generation iPod nano lineup (2008):
picture-310.png

WDW862

I...kinda like the new scheme for the ticket booths? No, I can't explain why, and the logical side of my brain keeps screaming I should in no way like this. Weird colors! Strange blocking! And yet...

I'm not saying it's the best thing ever, but I do think it's cleaner and brighter than what was there before. Removing the yellow from the ceiling makes a world of difference. Never liked that mix of pink concrete, purple walls, and yellow ceiling from the old scheme. Blegh...

Old:
ec_tickets_703.jpg

New:
Epcot_Full_38279.jpg

Good point on the logo colors. The booth colors are very clearly intended to match these. Wonder if the logos were supposed to be included on the ticket booths as well, but were left off since some of these new additions are "paused."
They can spend time and money on repainting the ticket booths, but can't even pressure wash the disgusting monorail beams once a year?

hpyhnt 1000

They can spend time and money on repainting the ticket booths, but can't even pressure wash the disgusting monorail beams once a year?

What's odd is there's a section of beam directly outside the EPCOT monorail station that is almost pristine in appearance. Anyone know if they are testing some kind of sealant or other cleaning process in that area? It's been like this for a while, at least a year now.

Either way, the difference on that section of beam vs. the beam directly across the way is striking.

Epcot_Full_36377.jpg

Epcot_Full_36408.jpg

jmuboy

I wonder if we will still get the flag poles along the roof line of the bullrings that flank the entry plaza between the ticket booths and SSE (as shown in the artwork). I fear with the EPCOT re-boot nothing we saw or read is guaranteed any longer until we see it built in the park. (Granted, for some parts of this re-boot that's a net positive .....looking at you Moana)

aladdin2007

I wonder if we will still get the flag poles along the roof line of the bullrings that flank the entry plaza between the ticket booths and SSE (as shown in the artwork). I fear with the EPCOT re-boot nothing we saw or read is guaranteed any longer until we see it built in the park. (Granted, for some parts of this re-boot that's a net positive .....looking at you Moana)

I was wondering about those flags as well, I kinda liked that look in the concept art, but I bet they dont do this at all now.

tirian

The worst part of the new IP-centric Epcot plan was that with few exceptions, characters were slapped onto attractions like you’d expect at Six Flags or DCA’s Pixar Pier. Moana and the journey of water? Guardians of the Galaxy in pseudo-space/energy/sci-fi? Ratatouille fits well, yet BATB singalong in France? SSE becomes the “power of storytelling”? Fantasmic 2.0 now featuring more modern movies projected into mist screens?

Really? It feels like an old SNL Weekend News Update with Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers. Really?

The plans could’ve been strong exhibits within Innoventions/Communicore 2.0, but they felt like a lazy way to update Epcot overall.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The worst part of the new IP-centric Epcot plan was that with few exceptions, characters were slapped onto attractions like you’d expect at Six Flags or DCA’s Pixar Pier. Moana and the journey of water? Guardians of the Galaxy in pseudo-space/energy/sci-fi? Ratatouille fits well, yet BATB singalong in France? SSE becomes the “power of storytelling”? Fantasmic 2.0 now featuring more modern movies projected into mist screens?

Really? It feels like an old SNL Weekend News Update with Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers. Really?

The plans could’ve been strong exhibits within Innoventions/Communicore 2.0, but they felt like a lazy way to update Epcot overall.

I totally understand people not wanting IPs in Epcot.

I totally do not understand your claim that these IPs were just "slapped on" like at a Six Flags. There's no 2D cut-out of the characters at the entrance and the rest of the ride painted matching colors. That's what Six Flags does.

Frozen got really good AAs and a heavily themed (accurate to Norway, too) queue. GotG is getting a lengthy indoor coaster with pretty innovative design and a huge, highly themed queue. If they were in MK, people would be hailing them as excellent additions to WDW.

Slapped on? That's pretty much nonsense talk.

tirian

I totally do not understand your claim that these IPs were just "slapped on" like at a Six Flags. There's no 2D cut-out of the characters at the entrance and the rest of the ride painted matching colors. That's what Six Flags does.

Frozen got really good AAs and a heavily themed (accurate to Norway, too) queue. GotG is getting a lengthy indoor coaster with pretty innovative design and a huge, highly themed queue. If they were in MK, people would be hailing them as excellent additions to WDW.

I didn’t name Frozen because it isn’t attempting to shoehorn characters onto an Epcot-style attraction. It’s the same reason I don’t mind Ratatouille; both are shameless fantasy rides, but both are well done and don’t pretend to be anything else.

Edit: And I’m obviously talking about a mentality, not actual execution.

Last edited:

DVCakaCarlF

Also, any word on when the monorail will run between the TTC and Epcot? Initially, a CM said it would be on the 15th, but now I’m hearing it is TBD.

MatheusPG

They don´t have Six Flags quality, but they sure have the same themeless placement and the parks are becoming as themeless as Six Flags itself... For example, does it make sense to have the Collector´s fortress at a park about California in a land that is supposed to be a campus on Earth? Can we define the themes of EPCOT, Hollywood Studios and DCA or have they become generic like a park that was supposed to be about the six flags that ruled over Texas?

FigmentJedi

They don´t have Six Flags quality, but they sure have the same themeless placement and the parks are becoming as themeless as Six Flags itself... For example, does it make sense to have the Collector´s fortress at a park about California in a land that is supposed to be a campus on Earth? Can we define the themes of EPCOT, Hollywood Studios and DCA or have they become generic like a park that was supposed to be about the six flags that ruled over Texas?
The Collector's Fortress is actually a spaceship that moves and it's at DCA because the Collector wants to lure in Disneyland tourists. I imagine that flimsy justification is slightly modified for the Avengers Campus and that he's considering collecting other heroes like he did with the Guardians.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom